Art Dumpage! Show your art ^^

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
denzil
Veteran

Re: Art Dumpage! Show your art ^^

#1441 Post by denzil »

metalica wrote:Discouraged i decided to go look for some tutorial, and haven't found any. Can someone point me in the right direction please?
I'd say it's not that bad. When I was beginning I was much worse. It just needs practice, practice and even more practice. (And the right kind of practice. You have to look at your images critically, figure out what you think is wrong and try to fix it.)
And don't get discouraged if you don't get as good as Leonadro da Vinci in a week, I'm sure you can become pretty good, but it just takes time. :)

Tutorials:
Manga Tutorial - there are some basics on the front page, on their forum there is a lot of links
Manga Revolution - some nice tutorials there
Drawspace - the basics, not manga but very useful
Practice makes purrrfect.
Finished projects: Broken sky .:. colorless day .:. and few more...

metalica

#1442 Post by metalica »

Thx for the feedback, I had Manga tutorial on my boockmark list but no backgrounds there(only few trees). especially need street, building, rooms backgrounds. As for manga revolution i didn't know about it, it looks cool with lots of tutorials, hopefully some on backgrounds, thx!!

Thx for saying it doesn't look bad, but i hate how it looks, the stuff is badly drawn, the persepctive is off, it look like you're seeing the room floating 2 meters above the ground :? . So i know what's wrong , dunno how to make it right though :(
Last edited by metalica on Thu May 22, 2008 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sapphire Dragon
Regular

#1443 Post by Sapphire Dragon »

Have you tried drawing from life? (if you you need help visualising draw from a picture first so take a photo) Its the best bet. Also try some perspective tutorials rather than just how to do a background.

Heres an example of two point perspective: http://www.ider.herts.ac.uk/school/cour ... ctive.html
Deeplake: backgrounds= 45 (0 en) frames=149 (0 en)
fullscreen pics= 38 (0 en) Character pics= 191 (15 en) Trailer:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TupfPglEe04
Portfolio:http://www.sapphire-nest.co.uk iDreams Game: http://www.pop-fiction.net

metalica

#1444 Post by metalica »

i'm gonna give it a try, thx.

Spiralbunny
Regular

#1445 Post by Spiralbunny »

metalica - I agree with Sapphire Dragon, for background practice it's THE BEST if you try and draw stuff from real life. (This goes for drawing everything else too though, learning to draw is much about learning how to see.) I very much recommend sitting down somewhere downtown in the summer with lots of paper and a good pencil!! It's reaaally good practice, it's lots of fun, and sometimes people stop by and look at your drawings (which might sound discouraging if you don't think you're good, but random people on the street are usually much more positive than one might think XD Sometimes I've gotten good critique and comments to help me improve from them, haha!)

metalica

#1446 Post by metalica »

well as for going out to draw... hehe I don't think i'll have thewill power to do it, especially since winter is not far(Argentina). I'll try with pictures.

I tried with one but keep doing it wrong, and can't tell how much time i spent already in such an easy background :?

2ndtry and Original photo

Its incomplete, since i'm tired now... gonna keep at it later, but such results are discouraging :(

As for the perspective minitutorial i understand the example, still i fail to see how to apply it in the background.

metalica

#1447 Post by metalica »

Well, since i want all the graphics on my game handrawn i decided to make a cellphone for when the main char recieves messages(the idea is to insert an image of the character who's calling in the cell screen). I'm pretty happy on how it came out :wink:

Cellphone

Finished Cellphone

By the way, the "Y-Star" and "M-Games" on the cellphone, are cause the game is going to be called "Young Star" which is being done by me(Martin) that's why M-Games :)

Spiralbunny
Regular

#1448 Post by Spiralbunny »

metalica wrote:Well, since i want all the graphics on my game handrawn i decided to make a cellphone for when the main char recieves messages(the idea is to insert an image of the character who's calling in the cell screen). I'm pretty happy on how it came out :wink:
The finished version looks stylish, good job! 8)
About going outside to draw, yeah, if it's winter it's probably not as good an idea, haha. You can still sit in front of a window and look outside, though! :D (Or, I guess, just use photos for reference, haha. I guess it might be more simple than looking for locations. Though I personally don't use photos unless I have to...)

Sakurazaki
Veteran
Projects: Aquae ~CCW~, Consonance

#1449 Post by Sakurazaki »

OC chara ....>.>' Quick sketch

I might post a concept sketch later.
Attachments
seig.jpg
ARC I - Summer Lights: Image
ARC II - Ocean Tide: Image

Hime
Veteran
Projects: Project Nattsu, Take Rena Home

#1450 Post by Hime »

A few days ago I realized that I haven't posted anything in this thread for ages, so here it goes! I'm sorry for the pic picture...
A loli-ish character from a potential side project. The lines are quite rough as I just used a vectorizing program on the sketch, but I hope it isn't too distracting. Also featuring possibly the quickest background I've ever drawn. :D

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#1451 Post by Samu-kun »

Wooaahhh... She looks great! ^_^

Doomfest
Regular
Completed: Memo, Juniper's Knot
Projects: Cradle Song, Dysfunctional Systems
Organization: dischan, Medical Whiskey

#1452 Post by Doomfest »

Experiment finished.
illustration_00_2S.jpg
Dysfunctional Systems
Juniper's Knot
Cradle Song, a visual novel in development
Memo, a visual novel

[02:49] <Komi> How is Dysfunctional Systems coming along?
[02:52] <Doomfest> have you seen prince of egypt
[02:53] <Doomfest> do you remember that scene with the storm of bugs
[02:54] <Komi> I know what you are talking about, but I can't remember the scene.
[02:54] <Doomfest> that is what it feels like
[02:55] <Komi> Personality conflicts on the team, I take it?
[02:56] <Doomfest> no
[02:56] <Doomfest> just bugs
[02:56] <Doomfest> storm of bugs

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#1453 Post by lordcloudx »

looks up
wow!

Here's a sketch I colored a bit.

It's called Tsukasa and a friendly long-haired guy.
Note: I am not doing this to plant wierd ideas into a certain long-haired guy's head in case he's having trouble pinpointing his next victim. Not at all :twisted:
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#1454 Post by Samu-kun »

*stockpiles weapons in case this thread takes a turn for the worst*

Sakurazaki
Veteran
Projects: Aquae ~CCW~, Consonance

#1455 Post by Sakurazaki »

Do not let Sakurazaki near a tablet or Photoshop. It's Seig again.

Coloring done in 10 mins so it looks awful.

ARC I - Summer Lights: Image
ARC II - Ocean Tide: Image