Renpy MPEG1 support specifics

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
luminarious
Veteran
Projects: Winter, winter

Renpy MPEG1 support specifics

#1 Post by luminarious »

Hi!

I converted a video file to mpeg1 with TMPGEnc, and it won't play with Renpy. No error, no traceback.. just exits the game.

http://senduit.com/7dc2de is the file. I'd love to know if I encoded it wrong somehow.. :(

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Renpy MPEG1 support specifics

#2 Post by PyTom »

Hm... It's working on Linux. I'll check it out on windows sometime in the near future.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

luminarious
Veteran
Projects: Winter, winter

#3 Post by luminarious »

Can anybody else try? I'd like confirmation that it's just my computer acting up (although I don't know why it should..)

Code: Select all

$ renpy.movie_cutscene("opening.mpg")
Wether I define the runtime or not makes no difference, apparently.

denzil
Veteran

#4 Post by denzil »

It works for me (windows XP). The problem might with your graphics card or drivers for it. It might be worth trying to install newer (or maybe even older) drivers for it.
On the other hand Ren'Py sometimes frozen when I clicked on the video and other times it skipped it correctly. I remember this video freeze happened to me with Fest Trip too. So I guess there might be some problems with video playback too.
Practice makes purrrfect.
Finished projects: Broken sky .:. colorless day .:. and few more...

delta too lazy to log in

#5 Post by delta too lazy to log in »

denzil wrote:On the other hand Ren'Py sometimes frozen when I clicked on the video and other times it skipped it correctly.
According to Renpytom, this is my broken computer's fault for happening 80% of the time and not possible to replicate anywhere else. No, I'm not bitter at all.