All I Want for Christmas is a Girlfriend [BxG][Romance][Xmas] - v2.0 Update

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
thebackup
Veteran
Completed: Final Week, CardioQuiz, Cafe Memoria, All I Want for Christmas is a Girlfriend, Dating Sim! Re:Mastered, Dating Sim! Luna's Lovely Summer
Projects: Memoria (on hiatus), Cafe Memoria Deux (cancelled)
Organization: PixaelSoft
itch: thebackup

All I Want for Christmas is a Girlfriend [BxG][Romance][Xmas] - v2.0 Update

#1 Post by thebackup »

2019/12/20: v2.0 is now released! Please check the game's site for the updated game. Enjoy the visuals and voice acting, and Merry Christmas!
2019/11/26: v2.0 is currently in the works, with improved visuals and voice acting. Scheduled for release on 2019/12/20!

Title: All I Want for Christmas is a Girlfriend
AKA: AWCG
Release Date:
v1.0: 2018/12/24
v2.0: 2019/12/20
Size:
v1.0: 49.6 MB (Windows / Linux), 32.5 MB (Mac)
v2.0: 52.2 MB (Windows / Linux), 35.0 MB (Mac)

Download Now!
Learn more about the game and download here!

Corresponding Blog Post / (v2.0)
Corresponding Twitter Post / (v2.0)

Overview
"All I Want for Christmas is a Girlfriend" (AWCG) is a free, short Christmas-themed visual novel (VN), created within a month and a half before Christmas of 2018.

Enjoy a heart-warming story with a cute girl!

Story
Rudolf is a college student who is about to spend another Christmas without a girlfriend. With money tight, he’s unable to return home to spend time with his family, and his buddies are spending the holidays with their significant others. So, he’s spending Christmas alone. The cards his family sent alleviate the loneliness a bit, sure, but what he really wants to know is what it’s like to celebrate the holidays with someone to love. All Rudolf wants for Christmas is a girlfriend that he can share the holiday magic with.

Rudolf tutors others during his spare time. He has been tutoring Natalia in calculus for a year already and is developing feelings for her. With her warm smile, hardworking personality and stunning physical appearance, it’s easy to find himself attracted to her. Rudolf has never had a girlfriend before, but Natalia could be his first. He decides to take her out for some coffee on the morning of Christmas Eve as a reward for passing her calculus finals, giving him an opportunity to confess his feelings to her.

But things go wrong during their little hangout…

Characters

Natalia
Voiced by (v2.0): Katelyn Hamilton
A college student Rudolf tutors. Math is one of her weakest subjects even though her major requires calculus. She turns to Rudolf for his tutoring skills, having been tutored by him for a year already. Because of her physical attractiveness and warm personality, most people would say she already has a boyfriend. Surprisingly, she doesn’t.

Rudolf
(no image available)
The college student who’s never had a girlfriend before, and the only one among his buddies who currently doesn’t have one. The thought of spending another Christmas alone without a significant other bothers him quite a bit. The fact that he’s unable to visit family due to his finances doesn’t help either. Perhaps the only thing that’s keeping him from feeling like a total loser is tutoring others and helping them understand calculus.

Features
  • Free!
  • Just a simple short and sweet holiday-themed VN
  • High-quality event CGs for you to enjoy
  • Voice acting (v2.0)
Screenshots (v1.0)
Note: Not posting sample CGs due to the spoiler-ish nature of them ^^;
ImageImageImage

Screenshots (v2.0)
ImageImageImage

Any thoughts?
I certainly had fun with the challenge of creating this in a short amount of time (and spreading holiday cheer)!
Let me know what you think about AWCG! What did you like about it, and what could be improved? Anything else? I'm excited to hear your thoughts. :D Thanks for checking out this project, hope you all enjoy it. Have fun, and Happy Holidays!
Last edited by thebackup on Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:00 am, edited 4 times in total.

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more
Projects: Fateful Encounter, Operation: Magic Hero
Organization: Tofu Sheets Visual
Deviantart: kokoro-hane
itch: tofu-sheets-visual

Re: All I Want for Christmas is a Girlfriend [BxG][Romance][Xmas]

#2 Post by Kokoro Hane »

I just got done playing your game!

Here are my thoughts;
It was a sweet little story. It did feel a bit fast and rather cheesy, but I loved it still! The fact his day was going terrible after he thought Natalia rejected him, and then he was surprised by her delivering herself in a giant Christmas box! It was sweet.
PROJECTS:
Operation: Magic Hero [WiP]
Piece By Piece [COMPLETE][Spooktober VN '20]
RE/COUNT RE:VERSE [COMPLETE][RPG]
Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [COMPLETE][NaNoRenO2020+]
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

But dear God, You're the only North Star I would follow this far
Owl City "Galaxies"

thebackup
Veteran
Completed: Final Week, CardioQuiz, Cafe Memoria, All I Want for Christmas is a Girlfriend, Dating Sim! Re:Mastered, Dating Sim! Luna's Lovely Summer

#3 Post by thebackup »

Kokoro Hane wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:21 pm I just got done playing your game!

Here are my thoughts;
It was a sweet little story. It did feel a bit fast and rather cheesy, but I loved it still! The fact his day was going terrible after he thought Natalia rejected him, and then he was surprised by her delivering herself in a giant Christmas box! It was sweet.
Ahaha, yeah I could've made it a bit longer and not as cheesy, but I wanted to challenge myself making this in a limited amount of time.
But thank you so much for playing, glad you enjoyed it! Really enjoyed the process of creating this. :D

thebackup
Veteran

#4 Post by thebackup »

Heads up, folks!
v2.0 of "All I Want for Christmas is a Girlfriend" is currently in the works. Included are improved visuals (mainly BGs and GUI) and of course voice acting for Natalia :) Scheduled for release on 2019/12/20!

Screenshots for comparison:
v1.0
ImageImageImage

v2.0
ImageImageImage

If you want to play v1.0 in the meantime, it's still available!

AsHLeX
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Starlight Dreamers, Mysterious Melody, Town of Memories, Marked, To Fly, The Change, Him From The Past, A Forgotten Memory
Projects: Cafe Mysteria

#5 Post by AsHLeX »

That was... uhm... cute? Hahaha.
The ending was pretty abrupt but it was a fun little story and I enjoyed reading it.
Congratulations on the release :)
New demo out 24/12/23!!

thebackup
Veteran

#6 Post by thebackup »

AsHLeX wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:15 am That was... uhm... cute? Hahaha.
The ending was pretty abrupt but it was a fun little story and I enjoyed reading it.
Congratulations on the release :)
Yeah I could've added a bit more to it, but this was created with a pretty tight deadline.
But thanks, glad you like! Hope you look forward to the v2.0 release. :)

Trafagal
Regular

#7 Post by Trafagal »

Hi there,

This was really very well done. I enjoyed the warm and Christmas story and everything was smooth. Great job!

Hope that you will create more!:)
Check out some of my stuffs here:https://linktr.ee/theartofjoshlab

Art Portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/theartofjoshlab/

Working on a personal Visual Novel~

thebackup
Veteran

#8 Post by thebackup »

Trafagal wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:25 am Hi there,

This was really very well done. I enjoyed the warm and Christmas story and everything was smooth. Great job!

Hope that you will create more!:)
Thank you, glad you enjoyed it! Hope you check out v2.0 when I release it next week. :)

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more

#9 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Hello, I just want to say I am SUPER EXCITED for the release of the voice acted version~
PROJECTS:
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

Owl City "Galaxies"

thebackup
Veteran

Re: All I Want for Christmas is a Girlfriend [BxG][Romance][Xmas] - v2.0 Update

#10 Post by thebackup »

Heads up!
v2.0 has been released. You can download it here.

I hope you enjoy the update and Natalia's voice acting as much as I did putting this together. Do let me know what you folks think!
Merry Christmas, and Happy Holidays! :)

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran

#11 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Yay!! The update is finally out!

So I played it once again, and it was as cute and a little cheesy as ever! The new backgrounds are quite nice. The voice acting was pretty good! Natalia's voice actress sounds really bright and bubbly! There were some moments I feel like she could've changed her inflection a bit to be softer, like when she has a bit of a sad face, but overall her performance was great and really added to the story! I liked it a lot, better than the original release ^^

Also
I don't think I said this in my original review, but I also love how it ends with Rudolf saying that Natalia not only made his Christmas but his life and he wants to be with her forever, I just really love that kind of sweetness~

Also I totally forgot how bad his day was going home, like that guy calling thinking he is John! Reminds me of messages some guy kept leaving on my cell to stop calling him when I never called this person in my life lol
You have a Merry Christmas!
PROJECTS:

Owl City "Galaxies"

thebackup
Veteran

#12 Post by thebackup »

Kokoro Hane wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:47 pm Yay!! The update is finally out!

So I played it once again, and it was as cute and a little cheesy as ever! The new backgrounds are quite nice. The voice acting was pretty good! Natalia's voice actress sounds really bright and bubbly! There were some moments I feel like she could've changed her inflection a bit to be softer, like when she has a bit of a sad face, but overall her performance was great and really added to the story! I liked it a lot, better than the original release ^^

Also
I don't think I said this in my original review, but I also love how it ends with Rudolf saying that Natalia not only made his Christmas but his life and he wants to be with her forever, I just really love that kind of sweetness~

Also I totally forgot how bad his day was going home, like that guy calling thinking he is John! Reminds me of messages some guy kept leaving on my cell to stop calling him when I never called this person in my life lol
You have a Merry Christmas!
Heya again, glad you like the updates, and found Natalia's voice acting as such!

Ahaha yeah,
I get that too on my phone as well, which was sort of an inspiration for that scene.

And I'm glad you found the ending sweet! Considering Rudolf not having much luck with relationships prior to Natalia, I wanted to give the impression that he will not take his new relationship for granted.
Thanks for playing once again, and glad you enjoyed it. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays as well! :)