Animation in Ren'Py

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Kinmoku
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: One Night Stand
Projects: VIDEOVERSE
Tumblr: gamesbykinmoku
itch: kinmoku

Animation in Ren'Py

#1 Post by Kinmoku »

Hey all,

There was a thread on this a few years back, but I'm wondering if there's been any cool examples of animation done in Ren'Py since then? I'm thinking of animated sprites, use of 3D camera, cool transformations etc, rather than video cut-scenes. I'd love to check them out :)

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

Re: Animation in Ren'Py

#2 Post by trooper6 »

One Night Stand has cool animated sprites.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Morhighan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: AIdol, When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten Not Lost
Organization: MysteryCorgi
Tumblr: MysteryCorgi
Deviantart: MysteryCorgi
Soundcloud: MysteryCorgi
itch: MysteryCorgi

#3 Post by Morhighan »

I love using the 3D Camera. It helped me make an effect to lightly shake a background that was also otherwise animated. When I tried without the 3D camera, I got a bit motion sick, so it really saved me!

It was thanks to this Träumendes Mädchen's blog post that I started using ATL at all, and for background art, it pairs nicely with the 3D Camera. A recent update on their Kickstarter really impressed me with the next logical step: dynamic shots. I feel that visual novel backgrounds can be awkward-looking, a la Umineko, so using objects in the foreground and changing up perspective could really improve things, if adopted by other devs.

No more of these weird moments if you instead do something like this.

I think that using animations and the 3D camera in Ren'Py can really add a nice touch, even if it's only used subtly. :) It's great because as a dev you don't have to go super overboard.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#4 Post by trooper6 »

I love the 3D Camera too. Though I'm not using it for animation...just for staging. Ah well!

But thanks for alerting me to Träumendes Mädchen...I'll have to follow them along!
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Morhighan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: AIdol, When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten Not Lost
Organization: MysteryCorgi
Tumblr: MysteryCorgi
Deviantart: MysteryCorgi
Soundcloud: MysteryCorgi
itch: MysteryCorgi

#5 Post by Morhighan »

trooper6 wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:55 pm I love the 3D Camera too. Though I'm not using it for animation...just for staging. Ah well!

But thanks for alerting me to Träumendes Mädchen...I'll have to follow them along!
Absolutely! I think using it for staging is a great idea, with or without animation. :D Träumendes Mädchen is great, a very friendly developer who has an eye for techniques that I rarely, if ever, see used in western VNs.

mikolajspy
Regular
Completed: Too many, check signature
Deviantart: mikolajspy

#6 Post by mikolajspy »

I'm not sure if it's "cool example", but some time ago I recorded a small tech demo of frame-by-frame animated CG/sprite inside Renpy with simple camera movement. (Video below)
But, there's one great downside to this method - time. You have to draw each frame of the animation and make sure it looks good when played.

My previous game [I know, self advertisement, but it's about subject] - NEKOKORO - uses heavily ATL to make characters feel a bit less static, while my upcoming title, Courage for a Kiss, uses even more complex ATL code to somehow emulate Live2D (although it's far from it) for a bit more natural feel, like breathing etc., semi-randomly.
The issue with that method is a lot, and I mean A LOT of coding, testing, rewriting, testing, fixing, testing and so on.