Do you play as same or opposite gender?

For the rest of your otaku life.
LuckyBerry
Projects: aRomancetherapy!, The White Castle (title subject to change), and oh so much more lol

Re: Do you play as same or opposite gender?

#226 Post by LuckyBerry »

Well, if I can pick a female character then I definitely will because I happen to be a girl, especially if there's romance in the game. There are some games like the Harvest Moon series in which I've played both as female and male and romance'd the characters I like (it's obviously more exciting romanceing guys since I'm a girl who's exclusively into boys, but I also like creating "families" for the male character with the female villagers I find nice). Outside of that I think the only time I've ever played as a male is in the early Pokémon games (not that there was a choice) or in adventure games/rpgs where the hero happens to be male like the Legend of Zelda games and such, and that's fine by me.

In visual novels I usually search for otome games but I wouldn't have any problem playing a BxG story if I liked the plot and characters... For some reason I've never really played a BxG VN, though.
Last edited by LuckyBerry on Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

princessap7

#227 Post by princessap7 »

I tend to play as the same-gender ala female the first time I play a game and if I replay it I tend to choose a different one. The only other time is if I'm playing a romance game and there's a character I like that can't be romanced as a girl, in which I play as a guy like in the harvest moon/story of seasons games.
she's a trash girl in a trash world

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: A Day in the Life of a Slice of Bread
Deviantart: sasquatchix
Soundcloud: sasquatchii
itch: sasquatchii

#228 Post by sasquatchii »

I love games where I get to be a girl!! So I would rather be a girl (as that's what I am) but I don't mind playing a boy either :D

I remember being like 10 years old and playing Pokemon Red and wondering why I had to be a boy. And being amazed when my dad let me play Tomb Raider on his computer and it was a girl! I think that was the first game I played where I was able to play as a woman.
ImageImage

Harick
Veteran

#229 Post by Harick »

In rpgs where the character of the player character is defined by the players I play as a boi as that's what I am irl, but if the protagonist is defined already then I do actually like playing as a woman, like for example in Tales of Xillia.

There is a bit of a difference in games like Harvest Moon and stuff where I can romance characters because I generally prefer dating men but not all games have gay options (or the gay option just isn't that great) so I will play as a woman anyway, though generally only on my second playthrough or later as I will generally start with playing as a man

Chiagirl
Regular
Completed: Ellen and the Pumpkin
Projects: The Crossing
itch: Chiagirl

#230 Post by Chiagirl »

I will always play as a female character if given the choice as most mainstream videogames lock you into playing as a male. While I still play and enjoy games like that I find to it nice to play as my actual gender for a change, especially for dating sims. Not that I haven't bought dating sims where you play as a guy (mostly BXB stuff as then I still get to romance cute dudes) but while I prefer otome it's a lot harder to find than your typical BXG dating sim. Most of the games where I've been able to play as a female have been either MMOs or indie games.
Last edited by Chiagirl on Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nagibator

#231 Post by Nagibator »

I'm a fairly competitive player, so I almost always go with female. That way my camera angle is typically less cluttered and in shooters, my hitbox is smaller.

CaptainTenno

#232 Post by CaptainTenno »

Nagibator wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:30 pm I'm a fairly competitive player, so I almost always go with female. That way my camera angle is typically less cluttered and in shooters, my hitbox is smaller.
...and most of all, in 3rd person view its better to look at a cute girl's back, not some ugly dude, ain't it? ;)

Probably the same is true for opposite gender. Most female players I know play male characters for this specific reason aswell (and this thread only proves it) :)

The only exception is probably deep-plot RPG's with choices present. Where I create character in my image and try to immerse myself into this world. This probably the only type of situations when I would pick male char over female.

Tapion

#233 Post by Tapion »

If it's possible, I play the same gender. I don't know, opposite gender destroys immersion (for me).
Even if we're talking about PVP, I know that the smallest female character has the advantage, but I still prefer to play as a guy :)

Elta
Regular
Tumblr: limitelta
Deviantart: limitelta
itch: limitelta

#234 Post by Elta »

I don't really care if the characters I can date are male or female, attracted to both, so if a game has those options that is rarely a factor. Sometimes I pick based on this if I like a certain romantic option best, but normally they all seem adorable. xD I'm Female, but I often prefer playing as a male if I feel like I want to connect to my character. I'm not very masculine, so this normally holds true only for JRPGs as the males are less "manly". For more western games I like being a girl, because often the girls are not quite as girly or big busted. But I like eastern style games best most of the time. If I want eye candy for my character though I always go female. Girls are just cuter, whether they are more masculine or more feminine. xD Point being I'm all over the place and love playing as both genders for many different reasons.

Autumnotopia
Regular
Completed: Making Friends
Tumblr: autumnotopiadev
Github: autumngreenley
itch: autumnotopia

#235 Post by Autumnotopia »

Man this seems like it shouldn't be a complicated question, yet it kinda is huh. Usually, if given the option, I'll play as a girl. But I actually ended up giving up on the last Harvest Moon game I played because I started playing as a girl, realized the girls were so much better (dateability wise) and that all the boys were lame, and found myself not wanting to restart just to switch to the boy PC.

Stardew Valley really swung it out of the park for me haha

So I guess the answer is really like 'usually a girl unless it forces you to date characters of the opposite sex' (I see other people saying the same thing so I'm glad it's not just me haha)
A game about loneliness, chess, and fighting monsters with magic