Kickstarters?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
KyraNarwhals
Projects: Sylivia: The Land Unseen
Tumblr: narwhalish
Deviantart: SkyPuddleArts
Github: KyraNarwhals
Soundcloud: Narwhalish Gaming
itch: Narwhalish

Kickstarters?

#1 Post by KyraNarwhals »

Where are the best places to do kickstarters in the Visual Novel industry (if you can call it that.)

I would like to try to do a kickstarter for my Visual Novel, but I’ve never done one, any tips, where could I do one?

IronForPistons
Regular
Projects: Panzer Hearts (Editor), Picture Perfect Romance (Editor), Children of Cosmos (Editor)
Organization: Crystal Compass

Re: Kickstarters?

#2 Post by IronForPistons »

Check out this post by PentagonBuddy. They did a great job analyzing a bunch of EVN Kickstarters, their funding, etc etc. https://medium.com/pentagonbuddy/the-go ... f21efe73e6
Feel free to call me Iron!

Interested in editing or proofreading services? I do both, for free or trade!

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: A Day in the Life of a Slice of Bread
Deviantart: sasquatchix
Soundcloud: sasquatchii
itch: sasquatchii

#3 Post by sasquatchii »

I think part of launching any successful fundraising campaign is having some sort of following in the first place, along with a community/group of people who know about your game and are supportive!

That's not to say that you couldn't launch a campaign and get 100% funded without doing this, but it definitely helps to get people involved and interested before you do any kind of kickstarter (and that way you know you will have some people to back it once you're ready).
ImageImage

morinoir
Regular
itch: blackpepper

#4 Post by morinoir »

If you're looking for place where you can do crowd funding, 2 options with the best traffic are Kickstarter and Indiegogo. Both has their own strong points and weaknesses, which you can research on your own. As for some tips, it'll be easier to reach funding goal when you already have a lot of supportive followers on your social media just like Sasquatchii said, but other than that, I say it's also important to have solid demo of your vn before you start any crowd funding.

There are several threads about kickstarter/crowd funding in this forum. Try searching for it, you might find a lot of useful information.

PeterKmiecik
Regular
Tumblr: peterkmiecik
Deviantart: peterkmiecik

#5 Post by PeterKmiecik »

Also be sure what You are getting Yourself into with crowdfunding. It takes time, investment in $ and stress, especially if You may experience bumps in the road. Jake Birkett said: it's easier to convince one angry investor then horde of angry backers about Your delayed milestone.
Patreon is another way to crowdfund creations. It's like monthly subscription based though. You do stuff overtime and ppl pledge small amout each month for example, to get that content.