Teach me how to draw

Forum rules
Recruiting Rules: (1) Only recruit if you have an actual, clearly defined project you're recruiting for. Don't recruit if you're an organization that may have a project at some time in the future. (2) Tell people what kind of work you have for them. For commissions, also tell them how much work it will probably be. (3) Tell people how much work on your project is already complete. (4) Always open recruitment threads in the correct subforum - Free, Commercial or Paid Work.
WantToDraw

Teach me how to draw

#1 Post by WantToDraw »

Looking for someone who's good at drawing to teach me. I've looked at online courses and I've tried them but I honestly just don't get it. PM me with examples of your art + your rates for teaching me. I'm mostly interested in learning anime style art but I understand if I have to learn foundations/realistic first.

Kia
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: KiaAzad
Discord: Kia#6810

Re: Teach me how to draw

#2 Post by Kia »

I have a YouTube playlist of drawing lessens that should help you start, https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... ty9Uu682sQ
I add new videos to it when I find good ones, and it's free ^_^

DragoonHP
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Christmas
IRC Nick: DragoonHP

#3 Post by DragoonHP »

While I can't draw to save my life, I have seen this website get recommended a lot > https://drawabox.com/
It's focused more on fundamentals then anything but it's a good resource

WantToDraw

#4 Post by WantToDraw »

I'm looking for an intensive course, someone who can teach me for 1-2 hrs a day, and then give me hw that takes 6+ hours to complete. And then, the next day, review and keep going on like that.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#5 Post by fleet »

Check out your local community college.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

WantToDraw

#6 Post by WantToDraw »

fleet wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:07 pm Check out your local community college.
I don't have one.

rito
Regular
Projects: Bride of the NEET God
Tumblr: atelier-apricot

#7 Post by rito »

fleet wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:07 pm Check out your local community college.
I'm pretty sure community colleges don't exist in my country and it must not be the only one. People have different circumstances...

On topic: that would be really expensive. CGMA does 10-week courses with one 1~2h pre-recorded lesson, some Q&A time and around 5 minutes of individual critique PER WEEK and that's 700 USD. I can't fathom how much you'd have to dish out for a good artist to do what you're looking for.
ri·to (ɺʲito) n. 1.illustrator 2.loves capybaras

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Your Royal Gayness, Love Bug, Lovingly Evil
Organization: Lizard Hazard Games
Tumblr: lizardhazardgames
itch: aviala

#8 Post by Aviala »

How much would you be willing to pay per hour? I think there probably are plenty of semi-professional artists or freelancers who'd be willing to help you if you can pay a decent hourly wage.

WantToDraw

#9 Post by WantToDraw »

Aviala wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:01 pm How much would you be willing to pay per hour? I think there probably are plenty of semi-professional artists or freelancers who'd be willing to help you if you can pay a decent hourly wage.
$100/week is about as much as I can go, so the number of classes will depend on that.

Elsa Kisiel
Regular
Completed: Shieldlock Holmes
Projects: Home Spatial Home

#10 Post by Elsa Kisiel »

I know it's not exactly what you're looking for, but can I recommend a book...? Shojo Fashion, by Irène Flores, really help me a lot improving my drawing skills. Of course, even a good book can't cover everything and it can't possibly replace a good teacher, but it might help anyway...? (Her other books are quite good and useful too, by the way)

In this book, you will find:

A little bit of:
-Inking
-Colors
-Composition
-Perspective
-Character creation
-Background creation

And a lot of information about:
-Face (anatomy, hairstyle, expressions,...)
-Body (anatomy, movement, poses)
-Clothes, shoes and accessories

https://www.amazon.fr/Shojo-Fashion-Man ... ion+flores
Illustrator • Commission open: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=59346 • My portfolio: https://elsakisiel.artstation.com/

Take a cup of tea and let yourself be charmed by my stories and my drawings. Here, everything is bewitched and bewitching!

Jsolis94

#11 Post by Jsolis94 »

To start, yes you would need to learn the basics first of general anatomy of the human body(if you are looking for anime)
Once you have an understanding of those you can start making the changes to make it anime. You have to understand the rules before you can break them, is the saying for that.

Keep in mind that learning to draw can be very tedious work, it's alot of repetition because in the end alot of what you learn to draw will become muscle memory.
And while some people suggest books, they can only take you so far without a skilled eye to tell you where your art is failing.
Also keep in mind "good drawing" isn't as easy as just drawing correctly, you need to include pose, silhouette value, expression, line quality and that's before you tackle coloring which is a different animal altogether, I've known many great artists who can't color worth a dime.

I can probably help you get started but keep in mind that as a professional in my industry I won't be cutting corners, sugar coating or letting you feel good about what you do until you earn it. The Art world is a very mean place.
If you aren't pursuing art to learn professionally then I'm definitely not your guy.