What Size Canvas for Drawing Sprites?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Crobi
Deviantart: c-r-o-b-i
itch: crobi

What Size Canvas for Drawing Sprites?

#1 Post by Crobi »

Hello!

So I'm trying to start something and my vn is in 1280x720. I finished the lineart for some sprites, but I like to work big. Like really big. The sprites are around 2232 x 6480 px with a dpi/resolution of 72. (I use photoshop.)

I like to be able to zoom in and not have the details be blurry when I'm drawing. The issue is, when I try to put the character in renpy, they're huge (understandably). I tried resizing the lineart, but it looks horrible. I tried the bicubic sharpener and everything and the lines just look wonky when I resize them.

So my question is, is there any way to resize the sprites? Or do I have to redraw them at a smaller size. If I have to redraw them at a smaller size, then what size?

If possible I don't want to have to redraw them smaller.

Also, could I change the dpi to something higher and then be able to redraw it at the same size? I heard somewhere that it might resize better, or maybe I'm just crazy.

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

Re: What Size Canvas for Drawing Sprites?

#2 Post by Gear »

My sprites are drawn at 3500x1422 with 72 dpi, and are resized to 890px tall in Photoshop using automatic sampling. My sprites don't seem to have any distortions that I notice. How exactly are you resizing them, and can we see one of the wonky sprites post-resizing?
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

Crobi

#3 Post by Crobi »

Gear wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:08 pm My sprites are drawn at 3500x1422 with 72 dpi, and are resized to 890px tall in Photoshop using automatic sampling. My sprites don't seem to have any distortions that I notice. How exactly are you resizing them, and can we see one of the wonky sprites post-resizing?
I'm just using the "image size" function. Here is before and after the resize.

Before
https://sta.sh/0s8b9pf2cyu

After
https://sta.sh/02du98wf2334

The lines seem, not smooth anymore.

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Gear »

Switch it off Bicubic and set it to automatic. See if that helps.
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

Crobi

#5 Post by Crobi »

Gear wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:19 pm Switch it off Bicubic and set it to automatic. See if that helps.
Here. I don't think it looks better or maybe it does I can't tell? It might look better after I colour it so we'll have to see.
https://sta.sh/02a0he6n0b6k

Thank you though, I really appreciate the response. :)

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Gear »

Huh. It seems to have slightly improved, but still has some jagged features. Not sure what you should do next. Coloring it may help disguise the distortions, but I'm clueless as to what could be causing the problem in the first place. Sorry about that.

Crobi

#7 Post by Crobi »

Gear wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:26 pm Huh. It seems to have slightly improved, but still has some jagged features. Not sure what you should do next. Coloring it may help disguise the distortions, but I'm clueless as to what could be causing the problem in the first place. Sorry about that.
I coloured a bit of his arm and I think with the automatic sampler it's looking better. I mean the lines are still slightly jagged, but the colour really takes away from it so I think I'm good now. Thank you!

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#8 Post by Imperf3kt »

Try drawing at a higher dpi. I suggest 300. You should be able to change your already drawn sprite through the settings, without affecting what you've drawn.
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2303152
While the linked forum is about printing, the same logic applies for resizing images.
See also https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dots_per_inch
And more importantly, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raster_graphics
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

puppetbomb
Regular
Tumblr: puppetbomb
itch: puppetbomb

#9 Post by puppetbomb »

If you go into Photoshop > File > Save for Web, it'll pop up a window that will let you preview a copy of your image.

It should look like this:
Screenshot 2019-02-01 18.23.13.png

The area I highlighted is where you can adjust how the image is downsampled. What you see in the image area should be exactly what the image looks like on the web.

Hope this helps!

YuukiCrossPudding
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Gidget & The Mysterious Thievery of Hoppity Town
Projects: Cerulean, The Photographer, Stalker&Yandere, Enamored Risks, Who Is The Red Queen?
itch: yuukipudding

#10 Post by YuukiCrossPudding »

Usually I work on minimum 3000x4000 px (or more) with 400 dpi. I used to work on smaller scale before but it makes my drawing a bit blurry.
As for resizing I didn't encounter any problems using those settings.

Like Imperf3kt mentioned I suggest making the dpi higher in that case as that's might be the problem

isobellesophia
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: None
Projects: Maddox and Friends! (AI Teacher friend), Friendly Universities! (Soon)
Organization: Friendly Teachers series
Deviantart: SophBelle
itch: Child Creation

#11 Post by isobellesophia »

I use 2000x2000 or 1500x1500 sometimes 3000x3000 and 600 dpi, depends on how many characters i draw, i am interested in bigger canvas than smaller canvas, which is too very boring for me.

I use photoshop sometimes.. just for a special editing skillz or some effects in my drawing,
(Its my hoobbiee... 😢)
I am a friendly user, please respect and have a good day.