Artist needed for relatively short KVN

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Knight of Cups

Artist needed for relatively short KVN

#1 Post by Knight of Cups »

Yo, new guy here.

I've already written and scripted most of my kinetic visual novel, and I need a talented artist for the CG. There are only roughly only 14 pictures that I need, and 5 of them are repeats with modifications, so I hope this isn't too hard. Oh yeah, I need a simple title page, too, and maybe a credits page.

The level of quality should be... well, if you ever played/read Tsukihime, that's about the quality I wish to have. I know that's asking for a lot, but it's what I'm looking for.

I'm also looking for a music artist, to replace the copyrighted song I'm currently using. Oh, and someone to help me with the scripts too, since I'm still new to this and I haven't figured out stuff like how to set a title page.

Attached is the story in .doc format and the visual novel itself, in all its infantile glory. I suggest reading the doc first to get a feel for the story and to come up with your own ideas, and then reading the visual novel to see how it works and compare what you think would be good images with what I envisioned.

Anyways, thanks for taking a look. PM or reply if you're interested.
Attachments
Fading_Moon_v.6.zip
(14.23 MiB) Downloaded 75 times
Fading Moon.doc
(83 KiB) Downloaded 96 times

AngelicCarrot
Regular

Re: Artist needed for relatively short KVN

#2 Post by AngelicCarrot »

I suggest you look around DevaintArt or any other art site to find a good artist. ^_^ Theres tons of people out there who draw anime, but don't put your baer up to high, not everyone is a pro.

As for music, http://freeplaymusic.com/index.php is an AMAZING site. Its all royalty-free music, free for download and use in non-profit productions. ^^ I get alot of my music from there!

Hope this helped!
Life, Liberty and RAINBOWS OF HAPPINESS

http://angelicalchemey.deviantart.com/

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#3 Post by Samu-kun »

Just as a warning, Free Play Music doesn't count freeware software as "free, personal use." If you're using their music for games that you won't sell, you appearently need to pay them a fee if you plan to distribute them through the Internet. >_>;

I think they allow you to use their music for free - but as soon as you broadcast ei. distribute them to others, you need to pay them a fee, regardless of whether or not you gain a profit.

AngelicCarrot
Regular

#4 Post by AngelicCarrot »

Samu-kun wrote:Just as a warning, Free Play Music doesn't count freeware software as "free, personal use." If you're using their music for games that you won't sell, you appearently need to pay them a fee if you plan to distribute them through the Internet. >_>;

I think they allow you to use their music for free - but as soon as you broadcast ei. distribute them to others, you need to pay them a fee, regardless of whether or not you gain a profit.
Ah. :<

Thats kindof messed up though... Cause it says:
. (a) If you are using Freeplay Music for:

(1) *Programming content to be included in an ASCAP, BMI or SESAC licensed National US TV Broadcast, as well as later rebroadcasts of the same within the US (EXCLUDES Local-only TV, Regional-only TV, Public and Community Access TV, Closed Circuit TV, Web Broadcasts, Advertising Commercials or Promos, and any Radio Broadcast use); or

(2) Feature-Length Films for U.S. theatrical release by a major U.S. film studio (in exchange for music cue sheet compliance*)

Then Freeplay Music´s compositions and recordings may be used (broadcast, synchronized and/or copied) without a fee. These reproduction rights, known as Master Recording and Synchronization rights, are absolutely FREE and are granted in perpetuity, provided Freeplay Music is accorded appropriate screen credit, with size and placement on a most favored nations basis with all other music providers, as follows: "Music Provided By http://www.freeplaymusic.com".

*Please note: The ASCAP, BMI or SESAC license must be a "blanket" license to qualify for free master recording and synchronization rights. Programs broadcast over networks having an "interim" license, a "per program" license or any form of license which is not a "blanket" license do not qualify for free master recording and synchronization rights. Complete show music cue sheets must be timely filed in accordance with the terms and conditions of ASCAP/BMI/SESAC´s license agreement for any Freeplay Music used in broadcast programming content under Freeplay's Terms Of Use. In the event such license agreement does not require the filing of cue sheets on a regular basis, cue sheets must be filed on no less than a calendar-quarterly basis. Simultaneous copies of all music cue sheets containing any Freeplay Music must be sent to Freeplay either via e mail (Scott@freeplaymusic.com) or by fax 212 664 7737 in order for you to qualify for free synchronization of Freeplay Music.

If people can use it for movies and stuff, why can't we use it for our games? D: Ughhu. I think I'll contact the site about this...

Sorry bout that ^^;

Samu-kun
King of Moé

#5 Post by Samu-kun »

I would assume they already have worked out a deal with most film studios whom they consider to be "major" or they simply think the amount of publicity they would get from such a release would more than offset whatever profit they might lose. But yeah, that doesn't apply to little guys like us, so we need to pay. -_-; Don't bother contacting them; I know all this because I contacted them. XD

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#6 Post by PyTom »

If I'm reading this correctly, it means that they let you use the music for "free" provided you pay money to ASCAP, BMI, or SESAC. These are all music rights clearinghouses, which would then pay money to the composers of the music. So it's not really free, it's just paid for in a different way.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

AngelicCarrot
Regular

#7 Post by AngelicCarrot »

Samu-kun wrote:I would assume they already have worked out a deal with most film studios whom they consider to be "major" or they simply think the amount of publicity they would get from such a release would more than offset whatever profit they might lose. But yeah, that doesn't apply to little guys like us, so we need to pay. -_-; Don't bother contacting them; I know all this because I contacted them. XD
Ah, oops ^^;

I'm rreaaally sorry if I bugged you >-<; I'm just a little too enthusiastic sometimes ;-;'

Well, you can always try to get Garage Band, but it's only on apple computers ^^;

AngelicCarrot
Regular

#8 Post by AngelicCarrot »

PyTom wrote:If I'm reading this correctly, it means that they let you use the music for "free" provided you pay money to ASCAP, BMI, or SESAC. These are all music rights clearinghouses, which would then pay money to the composers of the music. So it's not really free, it's just paid for in a different way.
Oooh :O Okay ^^;

Ughu, then they REALLY shouldn't call it freeplay, that's just wrong!!!

Hmm, there is this site though: http://www.tam-music.com/

Its all in Japanese, but I had it translated and from what I read you can use their music for about anything ^__^ Its got a small gallery, but the music is very cute and VN-like, I'm planning on using alot of it.

Samu-kun
King of Moé

#9 Post by Samu-kun »

No, actually, I'm mostly just irritated at Freeplay Music. I've known about them for quite some time now, so I contacted them awhile back. Anyways, I honestly don't see what they would lose if they let us use their music as long as we didn't get any sort of profit from its use and we credit them, but appearently they're pretty harsh about this stuff. >_>; But ah, it's their music, so they're free to use it in any way they see fit.

For free music, I recomend using this instead. Most of the songs here are free to use.

http://www.jamendo.com/en/

AngelicCarrot
Regular

#10 Post by AngelicCarrot »

Samu-kun wrote:No, actually, I'm mostly just irritated at Freeplay Music. I've known about them for quite some time now, so I contacted them awhile back. Anyways, I honestly don't see what they would lose if they let us use their music as long as we didn't get any sort of profit from its use and we credit them, but appearently they're pretty harsh about this stuff. >_>; But ah, it's their music, so they're free to use it in any way they see fit.

For free music, I recomend using this instead. Most of the songs here are free to use.

I think they probably buy their music from different sources. I found a song on there once that I had found on SoundDogs.com before.

Honestly, they shouldn't call it "freeplay" if its only free to a small ammount of people >.>; Thats really sick... And their prices are RIDICULOUS. $25 for 10 SONGS?! I could buy a CD of professional artist music for $10 here... Ugh.

AngelicCarrot
Regular

#11 Post by AngelicCarrot »

Samu-kun wrote:No, actually, I'm mostly just irritated at Freeplay Music. I've known about them for quite some time now, so I contacted them awhile back. Anyways, I honestly don't see what they would lose if they let us use their music as long as we didn't get any sort of profit from its use and we credit them, but appearently they're pretty harsh about this stuff. >_>; But ah, it's their music, so they're free to use it in any way they see fit.

I think they probably buy their music from different sources. I found a song on there once that I had found on SoundDogs.com before.

Honestly, they shouldn't call it "freeplay" if its only free to a small ammount of people >.>; Thats really sick... And their prices are RIDICULOUS. $25 for 10 SONGS?! I could buy a CD of professional artist music for $10 here... Ugh.

Oh, and thankyou for the site ^^

Mikan
Veteran

#12 Post by Mikan »

Is that the whole story? It's not really something I'd be inclined to work with (I'm not a big enough Japanese samurai story fan to work through), and it looks like it could use more work.

oO reading through it, I felt like someone was trying to describe the most goriest scene out of 300 or Troy to me, and if that's why you're aiming for... then great... but those gory scenes in the movie only seemed so powerful because they were contrasted with a great amount of peace and deliberation. Go out and watch a sword fight or try fighting someone with a stick to make your writing pragmatic and authentic. Base your motivations to write your story on first-hand experiences if you can.

I get the feeling that if you start off your game bloody and gory, then everything afterwards will seem very tame and boring. Try to make it so that the reader finds it rewarding to read your story.
Last edited by Mikan on Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knight of Cups

#13 Post by Knight of Cups »

Interesting to see a request for artists/artwork turn into a debate about whether someone's music can be used for free or not. The music isn't really my biggest problem, but it's nice to know what copyright limitations exist.
oO reading through it, I felt like someone was trying to describe the most goriest scene out of 300 or Troy to me, and if that's why you're aiming for... then great... but those gory scenes in the movie only seemed so powerful because they were contrasted with a great amount of peace and deliberation. Go out and watch a sword fight or try fighting someone with a stick to make your writing pragmatic and authentic. Base your motivations to write your story on first-hand experiences if you can.
Was that what you felt? That wasn't really my intent; the thing with the fighting and blood is not supposed to be the focus of this novel, and in order to emphasize that I deliberately chose not to show the fight as a battle but more like some kind of drama, with the reason and results of the battle being more important than the battle itself. This story wasn't supposed to be an action story, but a drama and tragedy.

That being said, I'll change the story to put less emphasis on the blood and gore and more on the relationship. Thanks for the review

zephiel
Regular

#14 Post by zephiel »

for making music, i advid using mixcraft and sony acidx..
um...ill shit up now
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
......................ZZZ
.................ZZZ zuu, zenthosa nara verr nehi zunu.
.............ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ