Endelwyn: Drawn to You (WIP) [G x B][Romance][Fantasy]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo.
Whimsy
Projects: Endelwyn: Drawn to You (WIP)
Tumblr: whimsyposts
itch: ivythesaurus

Endelwyn: Drawn to You (WIP) [G x B][Romance][Fantasy]

#1 Post by Whimsy » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:53 am

Hello! I go by Whimsy, and I've always loved otomes and visual novels, so I decided I was finally going to make one! I'm not a great artist or writer, but I still enjoy the crafts and I'm looking forward to bringing my work to fruition. To quickly summarize, I've never done anything like this before. I don't have any real money to put into this, and I'm working all on my own, which has kind of gotten to be difficult- at least in a writing point of view.

A lot of the stuff I've done so far is very WIP. All the characters will get visual polishes later, but I wanted to make something that was good enough to represent them for now. I also just started learning the Ren'Py coding system, and surprisingly it's pretty fun! I have a development blog on tumblr (https://whimsyposts.tumblr.com/) and I do art streams occasionally specifically for stuff related to the otome at Picarto.tv (https://picarto.tv/TM45Attract) AND my official itch.io page is
(https://ivythesaurus.itch.io/endelwyn-drawn-to-you-wip) which, of course, has nothing on it currently hahaha ^^'

What I hope to gain from posting my project on Lemmasoft is a sort of... community that actually understands the culture of VNs and Otome. My own friends are difficult to bounce ideas off of because they never have any idea what I'm talking about or what I'm aiming for. This is probably just a fault with me, but even so, I can also get tips on storywriting, coding, CG and BG making, and literally anything else anyone has to offer, and I would be so entirely grateful for it. If anyone wants to be a proofreader, I could certainly do with one! Again, I don't have anything to offer but my a spot in the credits, but if you would like to, I would be eternally grateful. Email me any questions about anything at ivythesaurus@gmail.com.

Progress

As of 5/28/19, Kane is being added as the official 5th bachelor!

The writing for the demo/Intro is almost complete. I have to write 2 and a half more scenes before I'm completely done with the first half of the story. What does this mean? Once I complete those scenes, I'll be in full production of a playable demo! All of my energy will then be put towards sprites and CGs. Backgrounds are complete for the most part. CGs, the Main Menu splash, and reworked profiles are not yet started.

Story

Olivia, a starving art student, loses her passion for the craft and is on a steady downward spiral in life. By chance or maybe destiny, she has a run in with a witch who sells her a magical sketchbook. Not knowing what it does, but hoping it's the answer to at least some of her troubles, she is finally able to draw an inspired world into this sketchbook naming it Endelwyn. When she wakes up the next day, she finds herself in the world of Endelwyn that she created and even runs into characters that she drew herself! With the help of friends she meets along the way, she learns how to live in this strange new world, how to use magic, maybe a way back home, and maybe even love!

Characters
Main Character:

Bachelors:

Features
- Completely free~!
- 5 bachelors (one or two good endings, one bittersweet)
- Reaction-based choices (not quite personality-choosing, but speaking an acting based on the situation)
- Moderate suggestive themes (non-explicit)
- Choose your own specialized magic out of seven elements!

Helpful Feedback

1. What are some things you're expecting from me and/or the project?
2. Which character(s) are your favorite? (Design-wise, personality-wise, anything!)

3. For a demo, what do you most prefer?
a.) I want to play every new scene that's programmed in!
b.) I want to play a demo that's essentially the finished product.
c.) I want to at least be able to meet every character in the first version of the demo.
d.) Demos are for the weak! I prefer to wait for the entire thing to be complete!

4. How do you feel about VNs that have little to no "right" or "wrong" choices?
Attachments
demoframe4.PNG
demofram3.PNG
demoframe2.PNG
These are some completed scenes with Lucien.
demoframe1.PNG
More or less what the game will look like.
New VN Cover.png
The first draft banner I made!
Last edited by Whimsy on Tue May 28, 2019 6:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan

Re: Endelwyn: Drawn to You (WIP) [G x B][Romance][Fantasy]

#2 Post by Zelan » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:12 pm

This is a cool idea! I'm impressed at the word count you've reached already. (: Lucien is probably my favorite based on the character profiles, but all the characters seem well thought out! Also, I like how the months have different names in the fantasy world.

Preseva
Regular
Projects: The Miller's Daughter

#3 Post by Preseva » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:15 pm

I think your art is awesome and the characters have great designs. My fave char is Noa. I like big guys with bright personalities. Working with a low budget is tough, but if you're able to handle the art on your own, I think you've got the hardest part covered.

When you go over the characters, I recommend revising the weights. The characters have attractive builds that cover a range of body types and I love the variety. But most of the weights are too low — At 5' 4" and 105 pounds, Olivia is underweight, which is not necessary harmful if she has a small frame, but she wouldn't be as buxom as she is. Lucien is severely underweight, and at 99 lbs, Faust is at the point of organ failure. You can use a bmi calculator to get an idea of healthy weight ranges for non-fit people, and for people in top physical shape you can search for the heights and weights of athletes that have builds similar to the characters. Probably add on a few pounds for Cyrus' and Dunin's horns. Livescience.com says ram's horns can weigh up to 30 pounds. VNs lead to weird Google searches...

I'm looking forward to hearing more about the world. The characters have some interesting birthdays that suggest you've already started development in that area.

Whimsy

#4 Post by Whimsy » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:27 pm

Preseva wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:15 pm
I think your art is awesome and the characters have great designs. My fave char is Noa. I like big guys with bright personalities. Working with a low budget is tough, but if you're able to handle the art on your own, I think you've got the hardest part covered.

When you go over the characters, I recommend revising the weights. The characters have attractive builds that cover a range of body types and I love the variety. But most of the weights are too low — At 5' 4" and 105 pounds, Olivia is underweight, which is not necessary harmful if she has a small frame, but she wouldn't be as buxom as she is. Lucien is severely underweight, and at 99 lbs, Faust is at the point of organ failure. You can use a bmi calculator to get an idea of healthy weight ranges for non-fit people, and for people in top physical shape you can search for the heights and weights of athletes that have builds similar to the characters. Probably add on a few pounds for Cyrus' and Dunin's horns. Livescience.com says ram's horns can weigh up to 30 pounds. VNs lead to weird Google searches...

I'm looking forward to hearing more about the world. The characters have some interesting birthdays that suggest you've already started development in that area.
Thank you so much for this comment! I was struggling pretty hard with the weights tbh. I did look up a BMI calculator while making them, but I don't have a very good frame of reference when it comes to weight. It's like "Oh 99 pounds is the same as 40 bowling balls!" and in my head I'm like "Oh, I think that's good?" Hahaha. When I redo the profiles I will definitely fix that up!

Whimsy

#5 Post by Whimsy » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:29 pm

Zelan wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:12 pm
This is a cool idea! I'm impressed at the word count you've reached already. (: Lucien is probably my favorite based on the character profiles, but all the characters seem well thought out! Also, I like how the months have different names in the fantasy world.
Thank you for the compliment! >////< Lucien is one of my favorites to write for, and I love worldbuilding.

nerupuff
Veteran
Projects: InTWON (Nano19)

#6 Post by nerupuff » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:03 am

Ah! I was looking at this last night but I fell asleep before I even managed to reply to this thread, but I was pretty excited when I started reading. If this is going to be your first VN, then congratulations! This idea has a whole lot of potential. I especially love the art you've done so far, even though you say you aren't a great artist (I think you're fine, dear!). I think you've got amazing character design skills.

My favorites so far are Dunin and Cyrus, but I love the effort you've put into all these character descriptions and personalities. Looking forward to more of your progress, Whimsy!
ImageImage
Hire me for proofreading, editing, and (maybe) writing! ♡ Check here!

Whimsy

#7 Post by Whimsy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:58 pm

Ah~ I'm so excited! It took a long time, but I finally finished Olivia's sprites! I have to do her alternate clothing form, though, but that's like nothing compared to what I've already done. I have no idea how many expressions she has now, but math-wise the combinations are at a crazy high number. Like 20,000 or something. Only thing to do now is the same thing but full bodied for five other people >.> Oh boy.
O Big Happy 1.png
O Suave 4.png
O Unamused Tongue 3.png
Olivia Neutral 2.png
O Strained 2.png
O DON frown 1.png

Preseva
Regular
Projects: The Miller's Daughter

#8 Post by Preseva » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:19 pm

Aww, she's adorable, look at her! The sass cannot be contained. I like the subtle texture on her sweater and the soft gradient in her hair.

Inksword
Regular
Tumblr: inksword

#9 Post by Inksword » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:14 am

I love how expressive your sprites are so far! A lot of games just use those small expression changes because it's easier to account for and swap sprites out, but you're going all out with the expressions!

Whimsy

#10 Post by Whimsy » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:25 am

Preseva wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:19 pm
Aww, she's adorable, look at her! The sass cannot be contained. I like the subtle texture on her sweater and the soft gradient in her hair.
Thank you! I didn't know if the texture was too much or too little. Olive would definitely appreciate your acknowledgment of her sass.
Inksword wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:14 am
I love how expressive your sprites are so far! A lot of games just use those small expression changes because it's easier to account for and swap sprites out, but you're going all out with the expressions!
I didn't know that about the small expressions! I always thought it was a character personality thing or an art style thing. I've always loved big expressions. I find that the bigger you make them, the more subtle expressions like contempt versus annoyance are easier to differentiate from each other. Thanks!

Whimsy

#11 Post by Whimsy » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:15 pm

Valentines Pic2.png
Happy Valentine's Day! I hope you all have fun with your significant others, or, if you're like me, you'll enjoy your cheez-its and your cat's company. Either way, love is in the air!

I forgot how much I loved to draw Noa, my precious boyo. I hate to draw his clothes, though, his color scheme is always all over the place. Expect more changes to Noa later down the road xD

As for progress, I'm busying myself writing the last bits of the... mini routes? End of the common route? I dunno, I'm writing. I'm also drawing Dunin's sprites right now. It's a lot more annoying than drawing Olivia's. Anyway, there's my update! ^^

Whimsy

#12 Post by Whimsy » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:32 am

I tried my hand at making some music for the game, and I made two versions of the title music. I don't really know if either of them fit too well, but seeing as how I can't make Animal Crossing music like I want, I figure this is as good as I'm going to get!

Attempt 1: https://soundcloud.com/user-233696043/p ... rototype-1
Attempt 2: https://soundcloud.com/user-233696043/p ... rototype-2

YuukiCrossPudding
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Cerulean, The Photographer, The Devil & The Deep Blue Sea, Stalker&Yandere
Deviantart: allenwalkerlove

#13 Post by YuukiCrossPudding » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:23 am

I love seeing all of the things you have done!
Especially for the art, they're so expressive and the designs are great <3

Both of the music pieces are amazing too, I love how the piano sounded for the first one (a bit melancholic and sombre yet hopeful?) then it goes into this adventure sound (a bit RPG-ish?)
For the second one it's happy yet wistful, then goes into an energetic sound, love the small claps you added too because it adds more charm to the music.

I really can't wait to see your updates and when this VN is finished, I wish you luck with everything!

Whimsy

#14 Post by Whimsy » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:11 pm

YuukiCrossPudding wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:23 am
I love seeing all of the things you have done!
Especially for the art, they're so expressive and the designs are great <3

Both of the music pieces are amazing too, I love how the piano sounded for the first one (a bit melancholic and sombre yet hopeful?) then it goes into this adventure sound (a bit RPG-ish?)
For the second one it's happy yet wistful, then goes into an energetic sound, love the small claps you added too because it adds more charm to the music.

I really can't wait to see your updates and when this VN is finished, I wish you luck with everything!
Thank you for the feedback! I’m happy you like what I’ve done so far. I think I may use the second song for the title or make a new one altogether! Hehe.

Whimsy

#15 Post by Whimsy » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:38 pm

Hoo boy, I finally finished Lucien's sprites! Took a huge amount of time that I wasn't expecting it to take, and it took even longer because Dunin's sprites file got corrupted a little over halfway through! SIGH. It's okay, I guess because these are done, and I don't have to touch them again :'D
Atka will be added separately.
Lucien waa4.png
Lucien laughing3.png
Lucien neutral2.png
Lucien smileyblush1.png
Lucien unamused2.png
Lucien blushy3.png
Lucien frustrated4.png
Lucien smirk1.png