In the World of Nightmares [Nano2019] [GxB] [Fantasy] [Adventure] DEMO + POSTMORTEM!

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
nerupuff
Veteran

In the World of Nightmares [Nano2019] [GxB] [Fantasy] [Adventure] DEMO + POSTMORTEM!

#1 Post by nerupuff »

temporary logo ♡

“Everyone has a world inside of them; a realm ready for exploration as soon as they drift to sleep. They can swim through oceans, traverse forests, explore castles, and just about anything in their dreams! But even in this alternate world, all things must maintain a balance. Nightmares are waiting for the perfect moment to strike…”

Everything is normal for Reina. That is, until the one day that it isn't. Chancing upon her old stuffed toys in storage after redecorating her room, she decides that it would be best to keep them around, just for old times' sake. Ready to retire for the night, she closes her eyes... only to find that hostile creatures in the form of Nightmares are ready to end her life, once and for all!

Not if the Dreamchasers have anything to say about it, at least. Three dashing young men appear in Reina's Dream Realm, all ready to face these monsters and make sure she wakes up for another day! Wait a sec—are they her stuffed toys?!

In The World Of Nightmares (working title) is a short otome VN about dreams, nightmares, facing your fears, and all the other stuff in between. Join Reina as she navigates through her realm, solving the root of the nightmare problem with the aid of her loyal subjects, Lion, Penguin, and Bear, her treasured stuffed toys from childhood. But… why do they even turn human in the first place?

Quick sketch/concept art:
This is the earliest concept art we have, doodled on March 1. These aren't the final designs but this will give you a glimpse at how the art style looks like.

VN features:
- Approx 25,000 words (or more)
- 3 possible love interests to get to know
- 3 endings per route
- Lots of dead ends in between, if you're not careful
- All original art by aehtrv
- Unlockable CG gallery and character profiles as you progress with the story
- Unlockable epilogue upon completion of all BEST endings
- Main menu surprise/unlocks upon full game completion

Let's meet ponprod!
- ponprod is a tiny team of 2, working to make this fun (we hope) game for nano2019
- aehtrv is in charge of all sprites, backgrounds, and CGs
- neru|puff is in charge of writing, programming, and GUI art

Creator's corner:
- Hi! neru here. aehtrv and I will continue updating this original post and add progress notes/devlogs on new replies to this thread. Thanks for checking this out! INTWON is gonna be our first ever VN. We hope you like the concept of the story and the art (let us know if you do!) Our biggest goal is to make sure we finish this on time. ^^

Complete tags: (might add more once script is finished)
[Nano2019] [Fantasy] [Adventure] [Mild horror] [13+]

ITCH.IO LINK: https://nerupuff.itch.io/intwon
POST-MORTEM: https://nerupuff.itch.io/intwon/devlog/ ... -nano-2019

Last edited by nerupuff on Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
ImageImage
Hire me for proofreading, editing, and (maybe) writing! ♡ Check here!

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: In the World of Nightmares [Nano2019] [GxB] [Fantasy] [Adventure]

#2 Post by Zelan »

This is a cute idea! I can see this premise being a really good way to mix cutesy, lighthearted themes with more serious ones. Good luck on your NaNo!

nerupuff
Veteran

#3 Post by nerupuff »

Zelan wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:44 pm This is a cute idea! I can see this premise being a really good way to mix cutesy, lighthearted themes with more serious ones. Good luck on your NaNo!
Thank you so much, Zelan! Really looking forward to completing this VN. The biggest challenge (for me, at least) would definitely be trying to tell this story in the way that I want it to come out. And you're right! Mixing cutesy with serious themes is one of our goals, which hopefully comes to fruition. I hope you'll look forward to our updates. ^^
ImageImage

Wight
Regular
Completed: A Transient Experiment
itch: wight

#4 Post by Wight »

Dreams are fun to work with because, as you mentioned, anything can happen in them. Throwing in Nightmares can also add some thrill and challenge. At first I liked the sound of it, and then reading that the "three dashing young men" being her stuffed animals made me love the idea even more.
I dig that goal of mixing cutesy and serious themes. There may be some challenges, but I wish you good luck with it!

nerupuff
Veteran

#5 Post by nerupuff »

Wight wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:12 pm Dreams are fun to work with because, as you mentioned, anything can happen in them. Throwing in Nightmares can also add some thrill and challenge. At first I liked the sound of it, and then reading that the "three dashing young men" being her stuffed animals made me love the idea even more.
I dig that goal of mixing cutesy and serious themes. There may be some challenges, but I wish you good luck with it!
Thank you so much for the kind words, Wight! We hope we don't disappoint with the story execution and that it will be a fun, visual treat as well! In a few hours, the artist will share some progress pics and concept art for the human versions of the stuffed animals.

---

For word count update, we're at 15% completion with regards to the 25k base goal. Not a bad start! I get the feeling that the total word count will increase in the future though; there's a lot of story I want to put in but I don't want to be limited by 25k, so we've set it as a basic goal and aim for future stretch goals after~
ImageImage

Aracade
Regular
Completed: A Monster's Insight, LUNACY, Gulam
Github: arkicade
itch: arkicade

#6 Post by Aracade »

This game looks really cute (the stuffed animals look adorable)! The world of dreams allows for some really quirky and creative ideas, which could lead to more bizarre scenarios than your average otome.
I'm keeping my eye on this one :)
Good luck to your team!

nerupuff
Veteran

#7 Post by nerupuff »

Aracade wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:04 am This game looks really cute (the stuffed animals look adorable)! The world of dreams allows for some really quirky and creative ideas, which could lead to more bizarre scenarios than your average otome.
I'm keeping my eye on this one :)
Good luck to your team!
I'm glad you like the original concept art for the stuffed animals! ^^ They're still subject to change, and they're currently in the process of being turned into sprites for the game. I hope I don't run out of weirdly creative ideas for the dream world. :--)
ImageImage

aehtr
Tumblr: aehtrv

#8 Post by aehtr »

thats me !! im the artist lol
been thinking about what the some of the main characters would look like and i think ive reached an okay point, but their costumes might still need some thinking over for more details

anyway here are what our placeholder sprites look like! ill be changing art styles for the final sprite ofc this is just a quick thing :^)
these are Lion, Penguin, & Bear respectively

i havent made a solid decision on what Reina(MC) would look like, so her sprite is bound to change since im not too satisfied w what she looks right now, but here she is :^)
theyre for the lower left sprite thingy that neru asked me to make
ive yet to make sketches for the extra characters or the backgrounds, but i think things are progressing fairly okay

also ive taken a liking to Bear so heres a lil extra something sketch :^)

this is just some self indulgent art nothing official lol

that concludes this update! hopefully i can get actual sprite and background sketches done in the next few days so i can proceed to coloring them!

Fungii
Veteran
Completed: Home's Embrace
Projects: Royality TV
Tumblr: fungiidraws
itch: fungii

#9 Post by Fungii »

*kicking the door down as soon as i sense LIs with facial hair* I'm ready

azaraih
Regular
Projects: Alectrona: Space Party, Deadnettle Creek
Tumblr: azaraih
itch: azaraih

#10 Post by azaraih »

Wow, these are such cute characters?? Reina is adorable and I can't decide which of the boys I like the best. Maybe Penguin? But I really like Bear's fuzzy side cape thing. Good luck with your game, I'm excited to see what you do with it!
Image Image

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#11 Post by Zelan »

You have good taste aehtr I also really like Bear :> that's some real cute non-official art right there and I definitely wouldn't be upset if it were to become more official in the future!

sonnenblumen
Regular
Projects: Project: Perfectly Normal

#12 Post by sonnenblumen »

Just dropping in to say I really like the look of this project! I find Penguin's design (both human and toy form) particularly cute! The squint is fabulous, haha.

Warden
Projects: Dragon of Beor Mountains
Organization: Intrigue Games
Deviantart: boxofmagicalfury
itch: intrigue

#13 Post by Warden »

Looks fantastic and the premise sounds really interesting! I adore the art style, Penguins squint is the best. Bear is probably the one I'm most interested in at this stage though.

SwallowtailedTrinket
Regular
Completed: The Deep Unknown
Deviantart: Esper-Isotopes
itch: SwallowtailedTrinket

#14 Post by SwallowtailedTrinket »

I'm dying from how cute those character concepts are, and the adorableness is just increased tenfold for them being the personification of such unique childhood toys <3 I want to protect all the characters on this page!

nerupuff
Veteran

#15 Post by nerupuff »

Hi all! Posting on behalf of aehtr (she's very shy) but she is very thankful to everyone for all the positive feedback, especially for Bear! ^^ She has been hard at work and is proud to share the final lineart for our MC, Reina (yes, she finally looks like a proper MC). Expect the plushies and human versions of Lion, Bear, and Penguin soon~ Coloring is underway!

Just a few of the expressions Reina will be sporting
as a side image in the VN. She's in her daily casual outfit!

Writing is coming along smoothly at 5k words approx right now, and I feel like the 25k goal will have to increase a bit since I have to consider individual routes for each LI. :0 Right now, I am currently debating if I should go for a dedicated route system, or if I should I should just intersperse the fluffy scenes throughout the stories based on point systems... I'll figure that out soon since it's already the end of the first week of March!

Hope everyone is doing well with their Nano!
ImageImage