[RESOLVED] Changing screen modality

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Chiligoat
Regular
Projects: Witches 4 Hire

[RESOLVED] Changing screen modality

#1 Post by Chiligoat »

Hallo! I'm driving myself up the wall trying to find a way to swap the modality of my screens outside of that first time defining them. I'm only a week new to Ren'py and am very much enjoying learning it, but for this one I've been trawling through forum posts and the cookbook for hours now and just can't seem to find a solution.

To be more specific, I'm clicking on an imagemap's hotspot (eg., a window, a couch) to jump label so that it can throw up some descriptive text. But of course, for as long as the image map's screen remains modal, the text can't progress or be removed once read. I'd love to just call a python function or something similar to SetVariable("screenname", modality="False"), but I'm at a genuine loss.
(This all in an attempt to figure out an on-hover tooltip, and on-click longer description, but the screen modality is what I'm really asking for help with!)

If anyone's got the time, I'd really appreciate some assistance!
Last edited by Chiligoat on Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

philat
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Changing screen modality

#2 Post by philat »

Not really. There's probably another, better way to do whatever it is you want to do.

rames44
Veteran

#3 Post by rames44 »

Are you trying to have it look like the user clicks somewhere and dialog progresses as if the image map was still there?

If so, you could call the (modal) screen, have it jump to the label, and have the label use a “scene” statement to put up the same background the screen uses. The screen will have disappeared, but if the screen’s background is the same as the scene you put up, this won’t be visible to the user.

Alex
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Alex »

Chiligoat wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:02 pm ...
Also check this - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=48359&p=478985#p478960

Chiligoat
Regular
Projects: Witches 4 Hire

#5 Post by Chiligoat »

rames44 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:10 pm [...]you could call the (modal) screen, have it jump to the label, and have the label use a “scene” statement to put up the same background the screen uses.[...]
This is actually exactly what I've been doing to make things flow properly, but it just seemed so clumsy and convoluted! The idea of just switching a True to a False seemed so much cleaner and far less liable to get mixed up in which images and screens are actually up. Thank you for the suggestion, though, because it makes me feel better about using this method.
Alex wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:12 pm Also check this
Yeah, that's very similar to how I have my navigation buttons work. The image map I made to allow the player to interact with the environment but at this point I'm starting to think that just smacking image buttons in there instead and not having to deal with the on/off modality of a main screen is much easier. Thank you!