Recovering script from a build distribution

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
willanik
Regular

Recovering script from a build distribution

#1 Post by willanik »

Oh silly, silly me :(

I made a small project in Ren’py and when I thought I had finished I made the build distributions. Then I decided I would like to make some modifications. I went to delete the build distributions.... but I deleted the Ren’py project file by mistake!

Is there any way that I can recover the script from the build distribution? I did not modify the default archiving settings so I can access all the images and the gui files, but I have no idea where to look for the script.

Any ideas gratefully received!

nerupuff
Veteran

Re: Recovering script from a build distribution

#2 Post by nerupuff »

If you made the build distributions without modifying anything at all, your script is likely in the "game" folder. Look for "script.rpy" and open it with your default text editor.
ImageImage
Hire me for proofreading, editing, and (maybe) writing! ♡ Check here!

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#3 Post by Imperf3kt »

As long as you didn't archive anything, everything should be accessible.

I'm not sure if the required .rpy files are kept, so if not you can find these files in appdata cache, at least on Windows
Open start menu, press windows key + R, type %appdata% and navigate to the folder for renpy.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

willanik
Regular

#4 Post by willanik »

Thanks guys! That works well. I can open the script reader in Ren'py and then use it to open the script.rpy in the build and I get a full, editable script. Fantastic!