New Game - Initial Ideas

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Blue123
Veteran
Projects: Composer on... something(s)

Re: New Game - Initial Ideas

#16 Post by Blue123 »

What I like? Although I'm speaking more generally, there's a whole aura of darkness around everything. This is something, that in my time (which is isn't too long, actually), hasn't come up too often. Pulled off correctly, the VN may turn out to be quite a psychological and questioning experience.

EDIT: As for music goes, I may be able to do it. If I raise approx £620 to buy some Virtual Instruments then I'll be able to provide an orchestrated soundtrack. If not, then it'll be MIDI. What do ya say? Unfortunantely I can't promise anything at the moment.

Sylph

#17 Post by Sylph »

I think you`ve got a feel for the atmosphere I`m trying to create in this game. And you`re right, you don`t see a lot of truely... malicious material out there. Negative themes are usually either simply hinted at on the side or are ignored completed, it`s rare that they`re the focus. This is probably why people are so desperate for that Saya no Uta translation.

If you would like to spend your free time making music for me then I`m not going to turn you down. However, as I originally planned I`m not going to start asking for anything from anyone until I start producing something worth while myself. Not only to prove to other people that this project can work but to prove it to myself. I`m not here to waste anyone`s time.

If you have some sample tracks, perferably of something similiar to what you`d hope to produce for this kind of game, then I`d love to here them.

EDIT:
Blue123 wrote:EDIT: As for music goes, I may be able to do it. If I raise approx £620 to buy some Virtual Instruments then I'll be able to provide an orchestrated soundtrack.
I`ve just been listening to what can be done with Virtual Instruments. Saying that I`m impressed would be a huge understatement. If you can produce anything like that then I`d be thrilled but of course, no promises.

I hope you like violins.

EvilDragon
Veteran

#18 Post by EvilDragon »

East-West Symphonic Orchestra Gold goes fairly cheap and works like a charm.
Angels of paradise, angels of sacrifice
Please let me be under your wings...

Blue123
Veteran

#19 Post by Blue123 »

EvilDragon wrote:East-West Symphonic Orchestra Gold goes fairly cheap and works like a charm.
I've got my eye on the complete composer's collection from the same company. Check out the mega-post I made on page 3 of the audio composition dump thread.

Anyways, back on track. I love violins- they're one of my favourite instruments. However, one thing I don't really have are sample tracks. HOWEVER! Once all my exams are done (about another fortnight), I will work on a basic, piano reduction of a theme for this game, and send it to you. If you like it, I will advance it, orchestrate it and hopefully get it into a quality sound recording (by that I mean not MIDI, something that sounds realistic and not synthesised).

Sylph

#20 Post by Sylph »

Blue123 wrote:Once all my exams are done (about another fortnight), I will work on a basic, piano reduction of a theme for this game, and send it to you. If you like it, I will advance it, orchestrate it and hopefully get it into a quality sound recording (by that I mean not MIDI, something that sounds realistic and not synthesised).
That sounds great.

In a fortnight I'll be leaving Japan and heading back home. Japan was basically the reason I didn't start any real work on this soon, as in actually writing it. I'm planning on buying a laptop, not to mention a horde of doujins and artbooks, before I leave, so I'll have no excuse not to develope this idea some more since I'll have the tools.

Naturally I have some ideas on what I'd like to hear but I'm looking forward to hearing whatever you can come up with first, free from the influence of my input.

Good luck with your GCSEs. They always over hype the pressure on those exams and A levels are so much more difficult, if that's any consolation.

Blue123
Veteran

#21 Post by Blue123 »

Ahh, you lucky person! I've always wanted to go to Japan. It's hard to find good artbooks and doujins over here in sunny old England, unless you resort to teh uncontrolled madness known as the internets.

As for the music, I've got an idea in my head. It's a sad, melancholic tune, perhaps a little unsettling aswell. If there's anything that needs to be added/ideas to be explored, feel free to say.

And thanks for the good luck. This year a couple of new courses have come in, and we're the Guinea pigs. :shock: Which reminds me, if ya want to know, I managed to get 58/60 marks on the compositions I made for my GCSE music class... so I shan't be rubbish!

Blue123
Veteran

#22 Post by Blue123 »

BAMP! For a good reason.

Good news and bad news. First, the good news. I've finished the first minute and fifty-eight seconds for the music. It sounds pretty damn good, and I played it on my piano, while recording using the (Crappy) function on my MP4 Player. Bad news: It's a very low quality recording. And I mean LOW. If you can bear to hear out all the noise, especially the first few seconds, then you're in for a treat. Hopefully the finished thing will be orchestrated, in high quality.

Hosted below... apologies again for the crappy quality.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0JAAFN62

EDIT: I JUST got hold of a copy of Edirol Orchestra to hold me over for the time being. Compared to what I had previously, it kicks ass. Hopefully I'll get it working soon... don't ask where I got it.

Sylph

#23 Post by Sylph »

Blue123 wrote:Bad news: It's a very low quality recording. And I mean LOW. If you can bear to hear out all the noise, especially the first few seconds, then you're in for a treat. Hopefully the finished thing will be orchestrated, in high quality.
You had me worried for the first 40 seconds of the track, I'd hate to have to tell anyone I didn't like what they've produced. But after that first 40 seconds things start to kick in and sound really awesome by the 1 minute mark. This is really good, I liked it so much I put it on my PSP for occasional listening. Really looking forward to further developements, just don't work too hard, you'll make me feel guilty for not having done more myself already.

Blue123
Veteran

#24 Post by Blue123 »

Heh, heh. Don't worry- it's a nightmare trying to work all this equipment, but I'm coping. Music is an art, and Music Technology is an art in itself.

Anyway, I'm glad you liked what I cooked up in about 2 minutes- the beginning isn't that hot, I know, but hopefully things will have improved by the final version. Just out of interest though, have you thought of a name for this project?

Sylph

#25 Post by Sylph »

Blue123 wrote:Anyway, I'm glad you liked what I cooked up in about 2 minutes- the beginning isn't that hot, I know, but hopefully things will have improved by the final version.
Looking forward to hearing it though one thing occured to me; you're going to be orchestrating the track, just be aware that this track probably shouldn't be too epic for an opening track that are supposed to sound sad to boot. But maybe I just can't think of an orchestra that doesn't have 50+ instruments in it.
Blue123 wrote:Just out of interest though, have you thought of a name for this project?
Haha, about that. No, I haven't. The truth is that I'm terrible names in all departments, characters, places, titles, etc. I know it would make things easier to have a name for the project but I haven't got one. And no, I can't think of one right now either.

Wow, I'm helpful.

Hatomikazuki

#26 Post by Hatomikazuki »

This looks really awesome~ I actually have been writing a story that is in some aspects like this (I'm glad someone else who has more ability for writing in this area is writing a good story on people with an abusive past....<3 ). This looks really exciting, and I'd love to play it, should you ever get it rolling, and finished someday. It's very dark, and true in a lot of aspects, so again, I hope this game gets rolling. =D

Sylph

#27 Post by Sylph »

Hatomikazuki wrote:This looks really awesome~
A bit of a late reply, I'll have to apologize but thank you.

In the near future things should start swinging into action, touch wood.