Quest for the Spirit Sphere! [NaNo2019] [Fantasy]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
JenneMK
Regular
Completed: The Asoralite Crystal, Quest for the Spirit Sphere!, Eislyn's Apocalypse
Deviantart: JenneMK
itch: JenneMK

Quest for the Spirit Sphere! [NaNo2019] [Fantasy]

#1 Post by JenneMK »

While dodging chores at his secret hideout Mark finds something magical. A cute little newborn spirit named Heart! The two become fast friends, except there's one problem: the Locke Family owns all spirit spheres that form on their property and they plan to sell her like all the rest of them.

Can Mark find her before she gets sold?

Image Image

Here is my (late) NaNoRenO entry! ^^

Length is approximately 45 minutes.

Enjoy! ^^

https://jennemk.itch.io/quest-for-the-spirit-sphere

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Trial By Fire, Heartbaked, Ellaria, Plain, This My Soul, The Pretenders Guild
Projects: Arena Circus
Tumblr: minyanstudios
itch: harlevin

Re: Quest for the Spirit Sphere! [NaNo2019] [Fantasy]

#2 Post by minyan »

This was really interesting! At first I didn't really like the writing style, I generally prefer narration, but the story and dialogue was interesting enough that I soon forgot all about it. I love the art too, it's super cute. The style overall felt really unique, and having the characters move around the screen and the animations really helped you get immersed in the story. I would have liked to see more of Sally because I feel like the questions raised with her little subplot weren't really resolved.

But overall, great job! Congratulations on getting this out ^^ I'll leave a more in depth review on itch.
ImageImage

JenneMK
Regular
Completed: The Asoralite Crystal, Quest for the Spirit Sphere!, Eislyn's Apocalypse
Deviantart: JenneMK
itch: JenneMK

Re: Quest for the Spirit Sphere! [NaNo2019] [Fantasy]

#3 Post by JenneMK »

minyan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:24 pm This was really interesting! At first I didn't really like the writing style, I generally prefer narration, but the story and dialogue was interesting enough that I soon forgot all about it. I love the art too, it's super cute. The style overall felt really unique, and having the characters move around the screen and the animations really helped you get immersed in the story. I would have liked to see more of Sally because I feel like the questions raised with her little subplot weren't really resolved.

But overall, great job! Congratulations on getting this out ^^ I'll leave a more in depth review on itch.
Hey, Minyan! Thank you for playing my game and taking the time to write out a review. :D

Concerning Sally:
Ah, I didn't think about that. There was a scene in an alternate route that was cut that explained their relationship a little bit more. In that scene Acid and Sally got to talking about their masters.
There isn't much of a subplot to them. Basically Sally thinks of Arthur as a friend/master that she cares about, but his personality drives her crazy sometimes. She thinks he doesn't take some things seriously enough.
One of the things that Acid and Sally talked about was the subject of names. That was actually when the player was supposed to learn what her spirit name was. (Shadow in the Thicket, if you're curious.)
It would have been a nice scene to put in, but I can't really think of how it would have fit into the main story line.