In the World of Nightmares [Nano2019] [GxB] [Fantasy] [Adventure] DEMO + POSTMORTEM!

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Amiralo
Regular
Completed: What's your name? : 2017 nano reno, Saccharine: a misleading sim date. Reverie: an odd simdate. Where adabans grow: an asian simdate. Monochrome and colors.
Projects: Enwiss the Beloved
Organization: Amiralo
Deviantart: Amiralo

Re: In the World of Nightmares [Nano2019] [GxB] [Fantasy] [Adventure]

#16 Post by Amiralo »

I love the art of this game-the heroine's hair looks awesome. 100% would romance childhood toys haha. The designs all look really good and I am especially fond of penguin's design. Also hope that all three characters would get individual routes, but I understand that might not be possible due to time restraints.

Good luck on your project! I'll be keeping an eye on the progress. (Expect fanart if you release the completed game haha)
My deviant art (where you can look at the embarrassing sim dates I have made). http://amiralo.deviantart.com/

My current project
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54150

Syrale
Regular
Completed: Robot Daycare, Deep Sea Valentine, Locke(d)
Projects: Artificial Selection, rei_carnation
Github: kigyo
itch: kigyo
Discord: kigyo#2564

#17 Post by Syrale »

It's hard to decide on a favorite so far, Lion is adorable and Penguin looks like he's fun to annoy.

Also just in general: I really like the concept!! Anthropomorphic [anything] is always a lot of fun.

nerupuff
Veteran

#18 Post by nerupuff »

Amiralo wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:07 am I love the art of this game-the heroine's hair looks awesome. 100% would romance childhood toys haha. The designs all look really good and I am especially fond of penguin's design. Also hope that all three characters would get individual routes, but I understand that might not be possible due to time restraints.

Good luck on your project! I'll be keeping an eye on the progress. (Expect fanart if you release the completed game haha)
I'm doing my best to give each stuffed toy their well-deserved spotlight: individual routes! I'm hoping I meet everyone's expectations. It's a bit daunting since this is our first game, but we'll be working hard. Thank you for your kind words!
Syrale wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:45 am It's hard to decide on a favorite so far, Lion is adorable and Penguin looks like he's fun to annoy.

Also just in general: I really like the concept!! Anthropomorphic [anything] is always a lot of fun.
Finally, someone likes Lion too! I've been counting the people who expressed interest in each of the LIs, and majority really goes to Bear, haha. Good to know that Penguin looks like the type to poke fun at, just for kicks. He's a bit hotheaded at times.

I hope I manage to explain properly why they turn into humans in the game. :0 Thank you for liking the concept~

A mini progress update is here (I'll update the first post once everything is in order):

> There are now 3 dead ends written! There will be more to come: I'm thinking that the death rate will be at around more than 10+, and I'm considering implementing a bonus if you unlock all possible dead ends. ^^
> I've started on Lion's route, in which there will be a dedicated LI route system based on your choices. Your (invisible) score will tell which possible LI you end with, each with unique story lines and events (I hope)
> Please have some script snippets! It's all I can share for now. Hopefully, next week there will be some new images to share ^^

As much as Lion wants Reina to take things seriously,
it's hard when the very explanation isn't exactly believable (at least, for the time being).

One choice can determine if it's time for you to die.
I'm hoping that I'll also improve in writing fighting scenes throughout
the course of writing the script for the VN. ^^;
ImageImage
Hire me for proofreading, editing, and (maybe) writing! ♡ Check here!

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#19 Post by Zelan »

Wow, I really love the way that you wrote the fight scene! Each line really lets me see the fierce fight going on, and then the last line shows just how much danger Reina is in since even their strength can't totally protect her. Wonderful job on that! ^_^

nerupuff
Veteran

#20 Post by nerupuff »

Hi, everyone! Sorry for the lack of updates! Been stuck in the hospital so I haven't really had much time to be online so often. A lot of my time has been spent recovering from illness, so progress for the game has been quite slow. Still, rest assured that the team will still have something submitted for Nanoreno by the end of the deadline on itch.io!

For the most part though, I have been considering just making it into a demo submission, instead of rushing the final product just to meet with the 1-month deadline. This way, the progress will still be there, but expect much better improvements in the full game (to be finished within 2019!). I personally don't like the thought of sharing a half-baked project to an audience who has been nothing but supportive, which is why a demo seemed to be the best course of action to take. That's it for now! Hope to update this thread again soon!
ImageImage

nerupuff
Veteran

#21 Post by nerupuff »

Hi, everyone!

Just wanted to post the last major update before our next post (AKA the "yay our game is completed please check it out"!)

While we didn't make it to the hard deadline for Nano2019 (31 March), we're still going it for the itch.io submission deadline (6 April). We're still keeping our promise of releasing a rough demo for Nano (which will be some colored sketches, experimental GUI, and a lot of other stuff, but it will generally be playable). What I can guarantee is a better choice of music + SFX according to mood and transition scenes (I hope! ^^;;;)

Here's our stats as of this moment:

Code: Select all

The game contains 766 dialogue blocks, containing 10,699 words and 62,332
characters, for an average of 14.0 words and 81 characters per block.
Keep in mind that this is the demo though, so it does seem quite short, but there are a number of dead ends + getting to know the characters and the story so far that is available ^^

Please have these CG sketches as compensation for the lack of recent updates (lol). After the rough demo has been published, we will continuously work on having it polished followed by uploading the new extended demo within this year + the final game at the end of the year (after real life takes its toll on us) or early 2020 (which I hope the audience will like the final product)

Thank you so much, everyone, for the support so far! <3 Please look forward to the release!
ImageImage

nerupuff
Veteran

Re: Demo released + post mortem! In the World of Nightmares [Nano2019] [GxB] [Fantasy] [Adventure]

#22 Post by nerupuff »

Hi! We've uploaded the demo on itch.io here: https://nerupuff.itch.io/intwon :--) please check it out!

Also wrote a post-mortem for the demo! It's here: https://nerupuff.itch.io/intwon/devlog/ ... -nano-2019

If you read the post-mortem, you will also find explanations why the uploaded project is only a rough demo that has minimized features and minimal assets. Rest assured, we will still work on InTWON after the jam, but in small increments, as real-life obligations are now haunting us, lol. I hope you guys will still try out the demo and let us know if there are any problems with the file so that we can fix it immediately!

Proposed timeline for InTWON: Release extended/polished demo within 3rd quarter of 2019 -> Release full game before 2019 ends (likely December).
ImageImage

Wight
Regular
Completed: A Transient Experiment
itch: wight

Re: Demo released + post mortem! In the World of Nightmares [Nano2019] [GxB] [Fantasy] [Adventure]

#23 Post by Wight »

It's unfortunate that you got sick, but it's good that you still managed to stay committed enough to put something out there. Working under such a short deadline isn't easy and can get stressful, but your efforts deserve no less of an applause. Now you can start working on it at your own pace! Something is still being created here, and I think that's the magic of game jams like this.
Even if it's a rough demo, I don't mind it and I'm still happy to get a peek into what's in store. Being able to see this evolve in the next version of the demo is going to be interesting. Good luck with that, I hope it goes well!

It seems to work well, I haven't experienced any issues downloading or playing it. It seemed very abrupt with how it cut off, but I'll assume that
Reina choosing to defend herself is still the correct choice, and it's meant to end in the demo before she can materialize her weapon. Bringing it up, just in case it was unintentional and needs to be fixed.
I'm liking the choice of music, so that's also a plus.
Seems like it's going to look very dynamic with its action. I can definitely see the potential this has, and I'm not disappointed with what's been shown so far.

What has me most curious is the mysterious voice that's speaking to Reina. It seems like something that has returned after a long time, and I wonder what that could mean. Because this has to do with dreams, it can go in a lot of directions, which means there's plenty of room to speculate right now.
If this "Dream Realm" is actually another world of sorts, then maybe something that was locked up managed to escape and find Reina again. Perhaps a Fantasy reason Reina regularly has nightmares, and that this next one could have a very serious impact if Reina succumbs to it.
Otherwise, if it's based on what Reina feels or experienced, then I'm wondering if it's connected to her going to college. Let's say this entity has to do with being afraid of her first day of school when she was little, which means going to college is that fear returning. What sort of fear, exactly... loneliness? Feeling vulnerable without her parents? Does keeping her toys and them fighting off the nightmares represent finding comfort and safety in them which is why they're effective once again as an adult? Heh, now I wonder if Reina was ever the type that tried to bring her toys to school.
... But this is all just my thoughts, and I could be completely wrong. Still, I'll share it with you in case it amuses you to see how close or far I am.

As for her toys, I would have liked to get to know their personalities a bit, but I understand that it can wait. I'll look forward to that and their interactions with each other and Reina! I wonder how much her toys really meant to her and how she's going to feel reuniting with them once things settle down.

nerupuff
Veteran

#24 Post by nerupuff »

Wight wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:49 am It's unfortunate that you got sick, but it's good that you still managed to stay committed enough to put something out there. Working under such a short deadline isn't easy and can get stressful, but your efforts deserve no less of an applause. Now you can start working on it at your own pace! Something is still being created here, and I think that's the magic of game jams like this.
Even if it's a rough demo, I don't mind it and I'm still happy to get a peek into what's in store. Being able to see this evolve in the next version of the demo is going to be interesting. Good luck with that, I hope it goes well!

It seems to work well, I haven't experienced any issues downloading or playing it. It seemed very abrupt with how it cut off, but I'll assume that
Reina choosing to defend herself is still the correct choice, and it's meant to end in the demo before she can materialize her weapon. Bringing it up, just in case it was unintentional and needs to be fixed.
I'm liking the choice of music, so that's also a plus.
Seems like it's going to look very dynamic with its action. I can definitely see the potential this has, and I'm not disappointed with what's been shown so far.

What has me most curious is the mysterious voice that's speaking to Reina. It seems like something that has returned after a long time, and I wonder what that could mean. Because this has to do with dreams, it can go in a lot of directions, which means there's plenty of room to speculate right now.
If this "Dream Realm" is actually another world of sorts, then maybe something that was locked up managed to escape and find Reina again. Perhaps a Fantasy reason Reina regularly has nightmares, and that this next one could have a very serious impact if Reina succumbs to it.
Otherwise, if it's based on what Reina feels or experienced, then I'm wondering if it's connected to her going to college. Let's say this entity has to do with being afraid of her first day of school when she was little, which means going to college is that fear returning. What sort of fear, exactly... loneliness? Feeling vulnerable without her parents? Does keeping her toys and them fighting off the nightmares represent finding comfort and safety in them which is why they're effective once again as an adult? Heh, now I wonder if Reina was ever the type that tried to bring her toys to school.
... But this is all just my thoughts, and I could be completely wrong. Still, I'll share it with you in case it amuses you to see how close or far I am.

As for her toys, I would have liked to get to know their personalities a bit, but I understand that it can wait. I'll look forward to that and their interactions with each other and Reina! I wonder how much her toys really meant to her and how she's going to feel reuniting with them once things settle down.
Thank you! You are so kind! I am so happy that you think the game has potential to be be better; we'll definitely try to meet expectations and more once the extended demo gets released (and hopefully, the trend of improvement will continue until the full game drops!)

And you're right, I should have placed a note at the end of the demo indicating that it is indeed the end, instead of letting it end abruptly. Thank you for letting me know your thoughts on that. I'll amend it in an updated release! (but likely, it will have to wait until the extended demo; I hope that's okay.)

It's always very nice to see how the players speculate how the story is going, and I'm pleased to say you got some ideas right... but I won't say which! It makes me really happy that you're looking forward to the full game, and I promise, you'll get to know more about the world setting and each of the toy's personalities when it gets here. <3
ImageImage