Trouble with naming images "image can't be found" [SOLVED]

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
HochElf
Deviantart: HochElf

Trouble with naming images "image can't be found" [SOLVED]

#1 Post by HochElf »

Greetings. This is my first post here, so I hope this is really the right place for my question.
Today I tried to create a map with image buttons. And got a weird exception. "Imagebutton has no idle"
It was particularly weird, b/c I had created an idle and a hover image and placed it in a folder structure (button/house/roomPC) and the images were named (button house roomPC idle.png) and (button house roomPC hover.png). So I tried to circumvent this habit by a text button, just to see, if my map is working at all. And I had to learn, that the background image for the PC room also not show up. Folder structure (bg/home/roomPC) file name (bg home roomPC.jpg) I was baffled b/c every other image showed up so far. Then it hit me, those were the only images with big letters in later positions. I removed them and it worked like a charm.

So here is my question, could it be that there are problems with case sensitivity? On a normal basis, I would name a file like kitchenHome, kitchenSchool, kitchenOffice etc. To differentiate them. But currently it looks like, I can't do that.
Last edited by HochElf on Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Per K Grok
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: the Ghost Pilot, Sea of Lost Ships, Bubbles and the Pterodactyls, Defenders of Adacan Part 1-3, the Phantom Flyer
itch: per-k-grok

Re: Trouble with naming images "image can't be found"

#2 Post by Per K Grok »

HochElf wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:15 pm Greetings. This is my first post here, so I hope this is really the right place for my question.
Today I tried to create a map with image buttons. And got a weird exception. "Imagebutton has no idle"
It was particularly weird, b/c I had created an idle and a hover image and placed it in a folder structure (button/house/roomPC) and the images were named (button house roomPC idle.png) and (button house roomPC hover.png). So I tried to circumvent this habit by a text button, just to see, if my map is working at all. And I had to learn, that the background image for the PC room also not show up. Folder structure (bg/home/roomPC) file name (bg home roomPC.jpg) I was baffled b/c every other image showed up so far. Then it hit me, those were the only images with big letters in later positions. I removed them and it worked like a charm.

So here is my question, could it be that there are problems with case sensitivity? On a normal basis, I would name a file like kitchenHome, kitchenSchool, kitchenOffice etc. To differentiate them. But currently it looks like, I can't do that.
If you are using Renpy's automatic definition of images, the name will be in lowercase only, even if the actual filename contains uppercase letters.

So you will find kitchenHome.jpg with kitchenhome, but not with kitchenHome.

If you define the image yourself you can use uppercase letters in the defined name

image bg kitchenHome= "bg/home/roomPC/kitchenHome.jpg"

Another thing, I would not use a lot of empty spaces in a file name. But that might be that I'm out of date.

HochElf
Deviantart: HochElf

Re: Trouble with naming images "image can't be found"

#3 Post by HochElf »

Thank you for clarification.
That explains a lot. And here I thought I could reduce the amount of work, I have to do.