Red Embrace: Hollywood [Vampire][Dark][GxB/BxB/NBxB][NEW DEMO]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Dovahkitteh
Veteran
Completed: YDD, RE, CoB, Req
Projects: Red Embrace: Hollywood, The Black Hand
Organization: Argent Games
Tumblr: argentgames
itch: argent-games

Re: Red Embrace: Hollywood [Vampire][Dark][GxB/BxB/NBxB][DEMO]

#46 Post by Dovahkitteh »

Markus 80% complete, more sprite updates, vampiric lore!

Markus Route: 80% Complete!

Markus' route is cresting past the 2/3rds complete mark! At this pace it should be set to finish in the next week or two.

Markus' route is nearing its final stretches, with estimated completion date around April 9th. The end is in sight...ish!

It was a sad night.

Will your eagerness to solve RE:H's mysteries drive you to join Markus first, or will you save his story for last?

It's a big pot.

(Also, as a bonus, please enjoy a set of in-game choices taken completely out of context.)

Not what it sounds like. Seriously.

Backer Char Update

Another backer character is in the sketch phase! Only a couple left now!

Where will you meet this intriguing--and maybe slightly intimidating--fellow in-game?

Ask answers

We have some more questions from our (Ask Box) for you this week! Feel free to send in your queries about anything RE:H or AG related.

Q: Are vampires capable of feeling pain (or just a variety of pain but not all)?

A: Vampires in RE:H can feel both pain and pleasure, but on a much more dampened level than humans. The same mysterious force that keeps them from decaying like normal corpses (and gives them vampiric powers) mimics some normal biological processes--but they're not identical to mortals.

Q: Does the house of a Sire determine in which house their childe ends up?

A: Yes indeed. Vampires typically choose candidates who meet their House's standards to bite (though not all the time, which can result in conflicting natures). A turned vampire will always inherit the strengths and weaknesses of their sire's House.

Over time, a vampire can adopt characteristics of other Houses, especially if they spend extended periods of time with them. Their true nature usually remains strongest, but personality aspects and even minor powers may bleed over--either consciously or subconsciously.

Q: Why do the Discord members think I'm Jesus? - Randal

A: Great question, Randal. Consider a shave and a haircut to avoid further confusion.

Writer, Programmer, Designer

Programming/Design Commissions

Image Image

Dovahkitteh
Veteran

#47 Post by Dovahkitteh »

Markus route complete! All sprites complete!

Markus Route: Completed!

The third and final route of RE:H is complete! Markus coasted to a fantastic finale this week.

How do you think your journey with Markus will end? Or--will it ever end?

So what's next for the script?
* Finishing the common route (currently at ~60%)
* Side conversations and scenes
* Editing/polishing script for the three routes

In the next two weeks, Dovah will be able to move onto the last major step: programming! This takes much less time than writing and will go very swiftly.

You can look forward not only to seeing a final word count, but also screenshots of in-game scenes, at last!

Sprites: Completed!

All sprites are complete! With the last backer character finished this week, we've ended with a whopping:

-11 main characters (12 including MC)
-7 minor/backer characters
-Lots of head, arm, and full body pose variations
-Tons of expressions (´_ゝ`)
-Accessory changes for some characters

Sh00's amazing efforts have created a diverse, colorful set of sprites that fit their characters beautifully. We can't wait for you to see them all!

What's next to finish for art? CGs! (More details next week!)

Final Backer Character

Enjoy a sneak peek of the last backer character--a charming fellow who might take two playthroughs to completely understand...

Ask answers

We have some more questions from our (Ask Box) for you this week! Feel free to send in your queries about anything RE:H or AG related.

Q: Does the House your character belongs to determine which mentor you can choose?

A: Nope! You can choose any mentor with any House character. You'll also get some interesting text (and maybe choice) variations based on your House for each route, so try out different combinations!

However, each mentor's "special ending" can only be achieved with a character of the same House. So you might want to save the matching playthrough for last~

Q: Does Markus ever use his ... merchandise?

A: Markus has, in fact, already answered this question in a live Discord Q&A (full transcript here).

Image Image

Dovahkitteh
Veteran

#48 Post by Dovahkitteh »

Common Route update, Ask Answers!

While we don't have any art updates for this week, they'll be coming soon, so keep an eye out!

Common Route Progress!

RE:H's common route is nearing completion! It's not quite done due to some extra branching being added, but will finish early next week.

Code: Select all

"When I entered the meeting room, Saorise rose from her seat, approaching me with slow, deliberate strides."
"The troubled look in her eyes instantly confirmed my suspicions."
l "Well, I won't mince words."
l "As you might have already guessed, I am in need of your services..."
l "Last night, there was another murder."
*Dramatic thunderclap*

Unlike many common routes, RE:H's "common" involves a great deal of variation based on MC's vampire House, as well as their faction affiliation, personality, and even your mentor! During replays, make sure not to skip through it--there are lots of interesting choices to discover.

"He leered at me silently for a moment, rocking back and forth on his toes."
z "After word spread about your partnership with Miss Locke, your disruption of our meeting with the Mavvar, your association with various powerful vampires..."
z "Well, one rarely sees a novitiate with such an exciting start! It was only a matter of time before you attracted attention."
z "{i}...Especially{/i} my master's."
"He stressed the first word pointedly, holding the second syllable long enough for his fangs to stick out and shine."
Who might this "master" be...?

Ask answers

Q: Will RE:H include any religious references that the Discord members theorized?

A: There are certainly religious references in RE:H. Understanding them definitely isn't necessary to enjoy the story, but they might provide some interesting interpretations. (Especially in a certain route...)

Q: Was it ever said if the vampires still feel warm or how they feel to the touch?

A: Vampires in RE:H usually feel room-temperature or cold. Warmth isn't impossible--as are some blood-circulating activities--but not the norm!

Image Image

Dovahkitteh
Veteran

#49 Post by Dovahkitteh »

Common Route Complete, CG Teasers!

Today's post covers the (COMPLETE!) Common Route, and some CG teasers!

Common Route Progress!

RE:H's Common Route is complete! Chock full of variations and different outcomes, it's sure to be a wild ride~

m "Now, despite what you may think, the number of vampires in Los Angeles is fairly low--most of us all know each other, or at least each other's names."
m "Word about you will spread faster than herpes in a game of spin-the-bottle. In fact, I've a mind to believe it's already spreadin'."
m "Everything you do or say will get out somehow...so keep that locked up in your mind somewhere, safe and sound."
Everything has consequences.

Next up: Side conversations/scenes, and editing/finalizing the main 3 routes! It's been a very long ride with the script--which is shaping up to be huge--but things are finally reaching the last stretch!

"A few steps further, and I heard a strange wet sound echoing down the tunnel..."
"The next corner I rounded--"
"I spotted them."
"A thin, androgynous figure crouched before a limp body."    
What could they be doing?

CG Teasers!

Our wonderful sprite artist Sh00 is currently working on all CGs, including redoing the ones you've already seen in-game (done by a different artist).

We have a few WIP sketches for you today, with more to come in the following weeks!

A familiar scene...

The CGs are the last major asset (along with a few remaining music tracks) that needs to be completed! In the next couple of weeks, we should be able to determine a rough period for a release date.

What could be happening here~

Ask answers

Q: Out of all the characters we get to meet, who is the oldest in order?

A: Ages are something you'll have to question the characters about in-game! ;D However, here are a few fun hints~
  • Heath is the youngest vampire (human + vampire age) you'll meet, but not the most recently turned
  • A rather old vampire will happily tell you his age if asked
  • Many of the vampires in RE:H were turned after the year 1900, but not all
Q: Did the Houses originate in Hollywood or from somewhere else? Markus mentioned that vampires have existed as long as humans have so how did vampires end up settling into Golgotha/Iscari/Mavvar?

A: The Houses (as in, the different "types" of vampires) have been around since the origin of our bloodsucking friends. However, their names have evolved many times since then, only settling into their current states around 313 A.D.

What's the history of these names? There's much speculation, but no clear answers...

Image Image

Dovahkitteh
Veteran

#50 Post by Dovahkitteh »

Script Editing Progress! CG teasers + asks!

Today's post covers some script editing updates, + CG teasers and asks!

Script Editing Progress

Currently, the common route and Heath's route are undergoing their final proofreading pass, courtesy of Gamma! Meanwhile, Dovah's working on the last edits for Randal and Markus' routes.

r "The way tonight ends is up to us...so for all your clanmates' sakes, don't do anything stupid."
r "...Everyone got it?"
u "Yeah! Let's go!"
u "Get 'em! Come on, let's get 'em!"
u "Hell yeah! What are we waitin' for?"
"As the group quickly worked back into an eager, loud fervor, rustling with excitement to turn the hunters into prey--{w}Randal glanced down to me, his brow knitting slightly."
r "You ready for this, newbie?"
r "I was pretty sure you could handle it--I like to believe people are a lot stronger than they think they are."
"He murmured to me almost gently, peering into my eyes."
Prelude to an intense scene...

By the start of next week, the side conversations + epilogues will be in the works! The final stretch before programming draws to a close~

CG Teasers!

In case you forgot, MC has a lot of variations for each CG they feature in! Hair/skin/eye colors are just a few--you can see some skin changes here.

WIP Variations

Colors are also being added to some of the other sketches~ You'll get to see some new ones soon!

Nom nom

Ask answers

Q: How do you all work on developing such good and nuanced characters and not making them cliche?

A: Although this question is worded so kindly you'd think the devs wrote it themselves, we didn't. Promise.

[Dovah] I'll definitely admit that a number of characters in our other titles have been based on tropes/cliches. It kept the stories comforting and familiar, and the characters admittedly easy to write--entering their "head space" was very simple due to their foundational tropes.

However, the characters in RE:H are of a complexity that's impossible to compare to AG's previous games. They are, in many ways, very close to real people. And I think that's probably the biggest thing I've learned in regards to developing good characters: Even if you exaggerate personality traits to make them more striking, at the end of the day, a character will be much more striking if they mirror the infinitely complex motivations/fears that a real human has. Many times, your own thoughts and feelings are a good reference.

Q: Any advice on how to layout/write scripts as well as plan stories far ahead to keep on top of things?

A: Spreadsheets! I never thought spreadsheets would be necessary for a VN with no "game-y" mechanics, but here I am, in front of a browser window that looks like this:

3 spreadsheets and 4 docs--and this is AFTER the script's been finished.

Outlines are very useful for the meat of what you're writing, they can also make it difficult to keep track of the intensity/flow/emotions of your scenes. That's one reason I really like spreadsheets. Because the story flow in RE:H bounces between common route and mentor route scenes, I had to make sure it worked for all 3 routes. The general result was something like this:

Heath never gets any love, even in spreadsheets.

It's probably possible to do it a lot more neatly, but having all the scenes laid out in front of me in simplified format really helped piece the narratives together. In some cases I filled in later scenes and worked my way back, based on what fit into the overall chart flow better.

Spreadsheets: a lot less scary than they seem!

Image Image

OoAmmyoO
Completed: Rock Robin, Changeling (assistant)
Projects: Masada-Sensei, ReMix: Mixolys (working title)
itch: ammy.itch.io/

#51 Post by OoAmmyoO »

Really into the art. Props to the CG artist. :) Markus' locks are absolutely to die for! Golgotha seems like my vibe heh. *pats tarot in her pocket* Also, you guys did very well making the focus being the main character and his/her/their rise to power, with romance as an option. Don't misunderstand, I am a romantic and I LOVE romance-themed VNs, but it is so much more *fulfilling* when it is not the focus all the time. Cheering for the main character feels so much better the more I know them and their general life. Plus, not everybody is into romance so it's nice that they have that option as well and it will still be interesting for them!

I am most certainly going to try the demo and (I don't see why not) will spread the word as support. Good luck!

Dovahkitteh
Veteran

#52 Post by Dovahkitteh »

Side Conversations, Heath Wallpaper Promo, More Asks!

Scriptwriting and editing are reaching their final stages, which means...

NEXT WEEK: Programming begins! In-game screenshots and gifs are on their way, at last!

Side Conversations/Scenes

In between the main story and route scenes in RE:H, the MC will have several opportunities to visit different locations in Los Angeles, where they can talk to various vampires and increase (or decrease) their reputation with the factions.

These scenes (which we're currently working on) provide an opportunity to have casual conversations that don't occur in the main storyline. Some time ago, we released a survey for you, the players, to say which questions you'd like to ask the RE:H cast in-game!

Here were some of the most popular answers:
  • Past love life/relationships
  • History of turning other vampires
  • Childhood story
  • How they cope with being a vampire
  • How their House powers work
There were also questions for individual characters that were quite popular:

You can look forward to asking many of these questions in-game! They'll provide some interesting insight into many characters, but beware--a busy vampire can only visit so many places before the sun rises...

Heath Promo Wallpaper!

To celebrate the upcoming end of scriptwriting and editing, we're releasing a promo pic/wallpaper featuring Heath!

>>(Click to download full resolution!)

This promo piece was done by Sabina Lewis.

Ask answers

Q: Red Embrace Hollywood will be the first VN I know that has customizable CG's and MC appearances. I wonder how you design the CG's for this. It would be impossible to draw a separate scene for every variation in MC design, so how does this work in practice, if CGs are hand drawn? I'm really curious.

A: The CGs are comprised of many layers in Photoshop--each element has its own layer (both for skin/hair/eye colors and hairstyles, accessories, etc.). In-game, the script checks to see your MC's appearance variables and arranges the CG layers accordingly, like making a sub sandwich to-order!

Q: Regarding the character creation section in RE:H, will there be options such as facial hair or body frame size?

A: There aren't any options for facial hair or body frame in RE:H, as we had to limit the number of customization options due to the amount of work involved. However, with the many small customizations that can be mixed and matched, rest assured your character will look unique!

We will very much encourage players to draw/write about their own MCs when the game's released, even if they don't match in-game appearance options!

------------------

@ Ammy--Thanks for your kind feedback and support! <3

Image Image

Dovahkitteh
Veteran

#53 Post by Dovahkitteh »

NEW RE:H SCREENSHOTS + Upcoming Demo Update! Release Date Update, Asks!

Today is a very exciting day--with programming well under way, we've got some new screenshots and info about an updated demo to share with you!

Make sure to read further on for new info regarding release date, as well!

NEW RE: SCREENSHOTS! Demo Update!

While most of these come from the updated demo, #4 is a teaser from the beginning of Heath's route!

More screenshots from further in the game will come soon...

Updated Demo

We'll also be rolling out an updated demo soon (in the next 1-2 weeks)! It will contain:
  • New MC customization options
  • Brand-new poses and expressions for characters
  • New, official music from the soundtrack
  • Script changes to reflect some slight alterations to characters
  • New BGs
  • Updated CGs
These updates will give you a small taste of what's to come in the full game!

IMPORTANT: Release Date Info!

Most of you know that RE:H's original estimated release date was May/Spring 2019. We're already in the second half of May, so let's talk about release!

Due to switching CG artists and the game's increased size, we will not be releasing this month. We originally had a separate CG artist, but our sprite artist Sh00 is now working on CGs--which will extend the art time, but with the benefit of beautiful and more consistent CGs!

The length of RE:H's script also lengthened dramatically. You can expect a much bigger game than we originally planned (from 100k to likely over 200k words).

So when's our new estimated release? Most likely, mid-summer. We're committed to making RE:H a highly polished, incredible game, and we believe it's better to release a fantastic product later than a half-finished one sooner.

We hope you all understand, and are looking forward to the summer release!

Ask answers

Q: How did you come up with the background/personality of the MC (in RE:H) and what helps/what systems exist to create a believable/relatable MC with so much customization throughout the story? How do you prevent the MC to become inconsistent or boring?

A: [Dovah] This is a fantastic question, because it's definitely been a struggle to make an interesting and consistent MC without making them too opinionated. In fact, a lot of the demo has been edited to alter some of MC's inner thoughts, allowing the player to read their own perceptions rather than being told explicitly.

The best way I found to achieve an optimal MC was by making their default personality "gentle snark," with very acute perception regardless of their House. They're constantly observing the world with sharp commentary (and plenty of wry remarks), which helps keep the narrative active without imbuing it with too much specific emotion.

As for their background--while it's left generally vague and open-ended, there are quite a few interactions where an NPC will ask MC about their experience with something or their personal preferences, which allows the player to further define their character. These opportunities fit a lot more smoothly into casual dialogue than they do as an exposition dump, which I tried to keep pretty minimal at the beginning.

Q: What's the most you are looking forward to after the release of RE:H? Like do you have plans working further on the project or a new one, spend some well deserved time relaxing, looking forward to the reaction of us while playing your game?

A: [Dovah] I'm hugely looking forward to players' reactions to RE:H, since it's such a unique game. But after maybe a day or two of rest, I'll be happy to start working on a new project, especially after learning so many important things from RE:H.

[Gamma] Squashing bugs, new (and old, finishing up) project(s), and perhaps some physical manifestations of AG works.

Image Image

Dovahkitteh
Veteran

#54 Post by Dovahkitteh »

NEW DEMO RELEASE!

Exciting news: we've just released the new and improved demo for RE:H! Why not give it a try?

>>Click to play!<<

Want to share a screenshot of your MC with us, or just a moment in the game that you enjoy? Tweet us @Argent_Games with the hashtag #killhollywood, and we'll retweet it!

What's New in the Demo?

The new demo contains many updates to what you originally saw in the Kickstarter version. We listened to your feedback to make some important changes, which are reflected both in the demo and the final game!

An overview of the shiny additions:
  • New MC customization options
  • Brand-new poses and expressions for characters
  • New music from the OST by our talented composer Murcielo
  • Script changes to reflect some slight alterations to characters
  • Additional BGs
  • Updated CGs
  • Bugfixes, slight changes to GUI elements to be more user friendly

If you're curious about what's still a WIP/not yet added to the game:
  • Stats/relationship screen (stats will be changed, character relationship bars will change to faction reputation)
  • Main menu screen (will retain format/look but become Shinier™ in the final game)
  • Extras screen (will have CGs, ending list, music box, and...something special?!)
  • New OP at end of intro
  • Some potential choice edits/additions

More Stuff!

As a reminder--the release of RE:H is still between 2-3 months away, but it's not too early to get hyped!

Want to use one of our free wallpapers or icons to show your support? More will come in the future, too!

Adding RE:H to your wishlist on Steam also helps us immensely, even if you don't intend to get it there! When RE:H launches, our visibility on Steam's store page will be affected by how many players have wishlisted us! (You'll also get notified on release.)

Finally, don't forget to join us on Twitter and Discord--and if you'd like to check out some of our other games, you can see them on our website!

Thanks again for all your support! We're working as hard as we can to make RE:H the best experience it can possibly be.

Image Image

Dovahkitteh
Veteran

Re: Red Embrace: Hollywood [Vampire][Dark][GxB/BxB/NBxB][NEW DEMO]

#55 Post by Dovahkitteh »

Progress update, screenshots, CG teaser, fun Asks!

Demo Feedback!

In case you missed it: On Monday, we released an updated demo for RE:H!

Thanks to everyone who's reported bugs and sent in feedback--your comments have helped us smooth out a great deal. RE:H is quite a sizable game both length-wise and programming-wise, so there's a lot we have to error-check!

Progress Update!

The Common route and Heath's route are roughly both at about 50% complete. Next week, one or both should be nearing completion!

Enjoy a few more teasers for this week~

And as sh00 continues to work on CGs, have a little teaser for a future threat...

Ask answers

Q: Do you plan a Q & A-session some time after the release of RE:H (where we can ask questions to specific game parts and characters etc.)?

A: This is a great (and interesting) question! A post-release Q&A is possible, but likely wouldn't address/clarify most major points within the game. The true nature of many events/characters are left up to the player.

Q: Has Markus ever loved someone after being turned into a vampire?

A: Of course--Markus loves many people, just in his own unique way.

Q: How are the mature scenes going to work? Will there be specific choices that lead you to those scenes or is it going to be a skip option kind of thing?

A: To trigger any mature scenes, MC must a) be in a romantic relationship with the chosen character, and b) also agree to/suggest intimacy. The choice is made quite apparent, and no other requirements are needed.

Q: Do you ever intend to reveal Papa Gol's sprite?

A: An unconfirmed rumor suggests Papa Gol is actually the horse portrait in MC's hotel room.

Q: On a scale of 1 to 15 possibility, how mature and shocking will the routes be?

A: Fifteen, but not in the way one might expect.

Image Image

Dovahkitteh
Veteran

#56 Post by Dovahkitteh »

More game progress! CG teaser + Ask!

Progress Update!

Heath's route is now at about 80% complete, and the Common route is at about 75%! Once the coding for Heath is done, Markus' route will be next in line...

Enjoy a few more teasers for this week~

Sh00's been working on sketches for the Common route CGs, as well as some of Randal's. They're shaping up to be quite intense~

Here's a hint at a violent CG you may or may not see...depending on your allies.

Our OST is also winding to a close for development--we've got about 2.5 tracks left to finish!

Ask answers

Q: Is it possible to go through more than one romance path in Red Embrace: Hollywood?

A: This question is a bit vague, but to answer it broadly: you can only romance one character per playthrough (i.e. your "mentor"). You can, however, establish friendships with the other characters you're not romancing.

Image Image

Dovahkitteh
Veteran

#57 Post by Dovahkitteh »

Heath Route COMPLETE! More teasers!

Heath's Route Completed!

The coding for Heath's route is now complete (minus CG scenes)!

To celebrate, let's bring back his poster from our Kickstarter campaign last year:

((Click for full size download))

Progress Update!

The Common route is at about 90% coded, with only the final major branches left to code.

Afterwards, Markus' route will be next up on the plate!

For this week, enjoy a few more screenshots from Heath and Common~

CG progress continues! Randal's CGs are progressing along with the Common route--have another WIP sneak peek!

Ask answers

Q: I'm really impressed with how well you manage to make villains that I love to hate. What's your process for writing villains in your games?

A: [Dovah] In our previous games, I tried to give the antagonists underlying motives that justified (in their eyes) whatever acts they committed against the "heroes." They varied from pure sadistic tendencies to genuine, passionate belief in their causes--but the "villainous" characters have usually been fairly eloquent, not outright violent.

Looking back, however, I'm very unsatisfied with all the previous antagonists I've written, with maybe those in *Requiescence* being the exception. I wish I had fleshed them out more thoroughly, or else framed their actions in a more ambiguous ethical light. But after analyzing player feedback and my own thoughts on prior AG titles, I believe future games (including RE:H) will feature much more complex and interesting antagonists.

In RE:H, you may also find it much harder to hate them...especially since the "antagonists" can vary wildly depending on your perspective.

Image Image

Dovahkitteh
Veteran

#58 Post by Dovahkitteh »

Common Route (mostly) Complete, Markus Route In-Progress!

Argent Games Itch Sale!

The Argent Games Itch summer sale has begun! Grab our BL titles from 25-50% off, DRM-free on itch.io!

>> Chess of Blades & Red Embrace

>> Requiescence

RE:H Programming Progress!

With the Common Route mostly coded (the unfinished parts mainly comprised of CG scenes), it's time to move onto Markus' route!

His introductory scene has already been completed, and progress is expected to speed forward!

CGs, Music, and Bugfixing/Updating

A short update on other aspects of RE:H that are ongoing:
  • One of Randal's CGs just finished up, with another about to be completed
  • Only 2 tracks left to complete for our OST
  • The game's base code is being tweaked, updated, and edited to be smoother/less buggy
Speaking of CGs, you might've remembered a WIP sketch of this one from some time ago...

Ask answers

Q: What games do you guys fill your free time with lately?

A: [Dovah] I recently discovered Dark Souls 3 for the first time, so I've been torturing myself with that after long workdays.

[Gamma] Connect 5.

Q: Does Markus actually make money at his shop, or does he just run it for fun and/or for a cover?

A: Of course. Keeping a well-supplied stock of the *Anal Armageddon 3000* isn't cheap, you know.

Q: If we asked nicely, how easily could we get any of the RE:H men to wear a pink garment of our choice?

A: For a nice pale shade of gentle pink, Heath would take very little convincing, especially from MC.

Randal's not exactly a fan of the color, but he'd find a way to have fun with it, probably ending in some kind of minor destruction.

Markus loves pink, though he doesn't wear it himself. Still, if MC struck an agreeable bargain with him, he would likely don any rosy regalia for them.

Image Image

Dovahkitteh
Veteran

#59 Post by Dovahkitteh »

Common Route (mostly) Complete, Markus Route In-Progress!

Argent Games Steam Sale!

Our Steam Summer Sale is ongoing now, along with Itch! Grab our games at a discount~

RE:H Programming Progress!

Programming for Markus' route is already almost complete! It should be finished up by early next week, after which Randal's route is next up on the plate.

Markus has plenty of adventures in store for you, so let's sample a few of them today~

CG Progress

Two more CGs have just finished up!

One of those brand-new CGs has also just been implemented in-game...so enjoy a little teaser!

Ask answers

Q: So is there a particular reason Markus has taxidermied tarantulas in his shop or is it for the aesthetic?

A: While Markus is not usually a huge fan of spiders, the taxidermied one behind his counter was a gift from a long-lost friend, given from the heart. Markus has a great deal of personal paraphernalia around his shop, and so he keeps the spider--affectionately dubbed Clarence--as a guardian upon the wall.

Q: Will any of the worldbuilding from the first Red Embrace be retconned in Hollywood or is all the canon still canon?

A: Yes, the worldbuilding is still canon! There are large and small references to RE, including some details that might put an interesting spin on events in the original game.

Some endings in RE:H will make the events of the original RE impossible for various reasons, but it's completely up to the player to decide which game is ultimately "canon". For all we know, the original Red Embrace might be Markus' fanfiction that he wrote up on a typewriter while business was slow.

Q: I was forced to imagine a vampire at a voting booth, so now I have to ask; do RE vamps care at all about human politics? I know vampires have their own political structure within their own people, so does that take precedent over human politics? Is there any chance of meeting a vampire with an "I voted" sticker?

A: Some of them certainly do! A number of vampires are still concerned about human conditions, and those that forge new identities for themselves might show up to exercise their democratic right, undead or not.

However, at the time of MC's entry into the vampire world, most of LA's coven is caught up in their own turmoil, without much time to head out to the polls and vote Bill Clinton into office. (Incidentally, Markus loves Bill Clinton--not because of his politics, but because he thinks Bill is just in dire need of a "relieving" item from his shop.)

Image Image

Dovahkitteh
Veteran

#60 Post by Dovahkitteh »

Randal's Route in-progress! CG teasers!

Markus Route Completion!

Earlier this week, Markus' route coasted to conclusion (sitting at about 95% finished, with CGs being the majority left to code)!

Let's celebrate with a friendly reminder:

(Click for full size download)

Randal's Route!

Coding for Randal's route is now underway! He'll be in the works for the next couple of weeks, after which we'll be moving to the last phases of programming.

Here are some screenshots from within his route (plus a small cameo from Markus' route)!

CG Progress

Sh00 has been making huge progress with our CGs! They're currently working on pieces for Randal's route, Markus' route, and the last Common route ones!

Enjoy a few WIPs for some delightful scenes~

Ask answers

Q: Are ghosts or other supernatural beings a thing in the RE universe?

A: Vampires prove that death isn't the end--so it wouldn't be wise to exclude anything else from post-existence, would it?

Q: I know you finished Red Embrace and is supposed to be short, but would you ever consider expanding on it to wrap up the endings completely and include NSFW content?

A: The original Red Embrace won't be seeing any future development, as we'd rather focus our attention on new projects. However, it is possible that RE:H might include DLC routes or extra content if there's enough demand, as it has much more potential for expansion!

Image Image