Home's Embrace [Nano2019] [Horror, Romance, GxB, 17+, Partial VO]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran
Completed: NaNo2015 Bedtime, NaNo2016 The Doll and the Spider, NaNo2017 What's Your Name?, NaNo2018 Painting Your Skin, NaNo2019 Home's Embrace, NaNo2020 Molly
Projects: NaNo2021 Cracked Moonstone
Deviantart: Sunlit-Dreamer
itch: Sunlit-Dreamer

Home's Embrace [Nano2019] [Horror, Romance, GxB, 17+, Partial VO]

#1 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Download on Itchio.

Rated 17+, Gore, Disturbing Sounds

​​Headphone Users are recommended to lower the volume

Summary

Luana's best friend Waite has inherited his deceased Aunt Nelda's home, and now that they've graduated college they're moving in. On the first night, they're woken up by the sound of doors opening and closing. After searching the nearby room, they find a strange guy inside. He claims the house belongs to him and both of them shouldn't be there. However, Waite drags him out and tries to throw him out the front door.

When he goes to open the door, instead of the front lawn, is a room covered in cobwebs with claw marks on the wall. When they try to return to the bedroom, they find themselves in a hallway instead, shadowy hands grasping at their bodies.

Every door they open leads to another room, some repeating, some even twisting.

Will Luana ever be able to leave her new home with Waite and their unexpected guest?

Characters

Our Main Character

Luana

Had a bit of a rough childhood, but never let any bullies get to her. Tries to keep a cool head to keep Waite in line.

Love Interests

Waite

Luana's best friend ever since she stuck up for him. Distrustful of others, willing to start fights over trivial things.

The Trespasser

Pops up in the middle of the night. With his claims of ownership, both Luana and Waite believe he's crazy.

Our Team

Sunlit-Dreamer: Writer, Programmer
Fungii: Sprite Artist, Main CG Artist, Backgrounds, Proofreader
Camy: Logo Artist
D.ray: Composer, Audio Producer
ezbreezy: Voice Actress
Sonomura: Voice Actor
Travallian: GUI Artist, CG Artist, Backgrounds, Voice Actor, Q&A

Report any bugs or chat with us on our Discord!

Twitter

Enjoy everyone!
Last edited by Sunlit-Dreamer on Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage

illuminate001
Veteran
Completed: DSGR, Let's MEAT Adam, Sexy Litter, Bara Boarders
Projects: Secret Project
Organization: Soulsoft Electronic Arts
Tumblr: soulsoftea
itch: soulsoftea

Re: Re: Home's Embrace [Nano2019] [Horror, Romance, GxB, 17+, Partial VO]

#2 Post by illuminate001 »

Hi Sunlit,

So initially I was just looking through all the completed games from this years Nanoreno to see if any caught my eye. I was immediately grabbed by "Home's Embrace"s cute chibi-ish art. Then I noticed the [Horror] tag, and I was intrigued. The art style, on the surface, didn't strike me as matching something "Horror" especially if there is Gore.

But I love the art style and the synopsis makes me want to try it! Also I noticed all your games are Horror, and I want to try Printing Your Skin next. :)

I haven't tried either yet (Im so totally busy with a new job rn) but when I do, I'd love to bounce back and leave a message here with my thoughts. Cheers!
ImageImage
ImageImage

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran
Completed: NaNo2015 Bedtime, NaNo2016 The Doll and the Spider, NaNo2017 What's Your Name?, NaNo2018 Painting Your Skin, NaNo2019 Home's Embrace, NaNo2020 Molly

Re: Re: Home's Embrace [Nano2019] [Horror, Romance, GxB, 17+, Partial VO]

#3 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

illuminate001 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:06 pm Hi Sunlit,

So initially I was just looking through all the completed games from this years Nanoreno to see if any caught my eye. I was immediately grabbed by "Home's Embrace"s cute chibi-ish art. Then I noticed the [Horror] tag, and I was intrigued. The art style, on the surface, didn't strike me as matching something "Horror" especially if there is Gore.

But I love the art style and the synopsis makes me want to try it! Also I noticed all your games are Horror, and I want to try Printing Your Skin next. :)

I haven't tried either yet (Im so totally busy with a new job rn) but when I do, I'd love to bounce back and leave a message here with my thoughts. Cheers!
Yes, let Fungii's art draw you iiiiin~

I hope our nano lives up to your expectations once you have freetime to read it! (And I do enjoy writing horror, hahahaha.)
ImageImageImageImage

Alia
Regular

Re: Home's Embrace [Nano2019] [Horror, Romance, GxB, 17+, Partial VO]

#4 Post by Alia »

Being a bit of a scaredy-cat I normally avoid horror, but luckily I gave this one a try. So much fun! I feel like the story was just being its own self rather than working to frighten, and so ended up quirky/fun/gory rather than as something that'd make me leave the light on. (And now that I'm looking at your sig, I see you also wrote "What's Your Name?" which is the only other horror-ish thing I've enjoyed, and I enjoyed it for the same reason.)
I can't decide whether I'm pleased or disappointed that the two twists I'd anticipated about Rowan turned out not to be the case. While it seemed merely likely that the unnamed-but-oft-mentioned "sisters" would be something sinister, I was certain that Rowan had been trapped in the house for decades (judging by his attitudes towards profanity, women, and sweaters). But I did enjoy the truth—he's such an adorable, horrible monster. His sprites are perfect for him.
On the True End, I was kind of thrown for a loop by her comment about Waite having stood over the sleeping Rowan with a baseball bat. I saw the sinister looming (bat unmentioned) at the first rejection option on Waite's route, but not on the True End. And where did his bat come from? When they went to investigate Trespasser's noise, Luana said it was still packed.
And, fridge logic: Rowan starts out trying to convince them that he thinks they broke into his house... why? And why did he separate the letter from the package/kinfe/book? (That is, if it actually was him rather than some other house Thing.)
While I normally don't care for timers, I loved how you used them here. They were explained well, and in a way that didn't break immersion. And the timer length! Just enough time to read, and on some of them not enough time to think, creating a not-quite-panicky sense of urgency.
I'd have enjoyed it if the game were a bit longer
few more rooms, since Rowan took the time to explain them; maybe more romance,
but it did work great as is.
In terms of romance, it made complete sense that an eldritch Thing in the mind/body of a young adult would be susceptible to insta-love.
Lesson learned: I should not make a decision about trying a game based on whether it already has several posts. Other people doing the same has got to be why no one else has posted after playing.

Thank you to you and your team for sharing this wonderful game!

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran

Re: Home's Embrace [Nano2019] [Horror, Romance, GxB, 17+, Partial VO]

#5 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Alia wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:57 am Being a bit of a scaredy-cat I normally avoid horror, but luckily I gave this one a try. So much fun! I feel like the story was just being its own self rather than working to frighten, and so ended up quirky/fun/gory rather than as something that'd make me leave the light on. (And now that I'm looking at your sig, I see you also wrote "What's Your Name?" which is the only other horror-ish thing I've enjoyed, and I enjoyed it for the same reason.)
I can't decide whether I'm pleased or disappointed that the two twists I'd anticipated about Rowan turned out not to be the case. While it seemed merely likely that the unnamed-but-oft-mentioned "sisters" would be something sinister, I was certain that Rowan had been trapped in the house for decades (judging by his attitudes towards profanity, women, and sweaters). But I did enjoy the truth—he's such an adorable, horrible monster. His sprites are perfect for him.
On the True End, I was kind of thrown for a loop by her comment about Waite having stood over the sleeping Rowan with a baseball bat. I saw the sinister looming (bat unmentioned) at the first rejection option on Waite's route, but not on the True End. And where did his bat come from? When they went to investigate Trespasser's noise, Luana said it was still packed.
And, fridge logic: Rowan starts out trying to convince them that he thinks they broke into his house... why? And why did he separate the letter from the package/kinfe/book? (That is, if it actually was him rather than some other house Thing.)
While I normally don't care for timers, I loved how you used them here. They were explained well, and in a way that didn't break immersion. And the timer length! Just enough time to read, and on some of them not enough time to think, creating a not-quite-panicky sense of urgency.
I'd have enjoyed it if the game were a bit longer
few more rooms, since Rowan took the time to explain them; maybe more romance,
but it did work great as is.
In terms of romance, it made complete sense that an eldritch Thing in the mind/body of a young adult would be susceptible to insta-love.
Lesson learned: I should not make a decision about trying a game based on whether it already has several posts. Other people doing the same has got to be why no one else has posted after playing.

Thank you to you and your team for sharing this wonderful game!
Glad you gave it a try! You never know if you'll enjoy something until you do after all. I may write horror, but it doesn't mean it's aaalll gloom and doom. =P
There's actually more to the story that I had to cut out otherwise we never would've finished. So I wasn't properly able to wrap up some loose ends. However, the team is still together. I am still writing the story, so you'll be getting your wish. =3 Also, you might be possibly half right. Can't say more.
Yes, it was meant to be implied for the True Route. I didn't want to make too many changes to the nano version, which is why it doesn't pop up. As for where it came from, he found the box it was packed in. But yes, it's just my bad habit of assuming readers would know that.
As for the fridge logic...it's all part of the cut content I couldn't add in on time. Do you wish to know? Send a PM and I'll reveal. =P
Good to know I've improved with the timers. Even with the amount of time I left for WYN, some of the choices were pretty lengthy. Funny enough, the first version of the nano didn't have a "tutorial" at all. I only added after the fact
when I realized, "Wait, nowhere did I say it's okay to do nothing sometimes."
You'll be getting your wish! However, it won't be for some time. Only when the first draft is complete among a few other things we'll be announcing a kickstarter. But do look forward to some new love interests, a bigger house, more monsters, and the content I removed to explain the fridge logic. Also, monster love is best love. (Although I can also tell you that in a PM hahaha.)
Not many people have as much time to leave comments anymore, and some are more of the lurker type. I myself haven't posted as much either, since I've been busy with work. So it's all good.

You're very welcome! ^^
ImageImageImageImage