800x600?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
BellosTheMighty
Regular

Re: 800x600?

#16 Post by BellosTheMighty »

GYYYYAH! Zombie thread! KILL IT KILL IT KILL IT!!! *fires randomly with shotgun*
----
"Yes, ninety percent would never get finished, and ninety percent of the rest would suck. That's the way it always works. That's how you get stuff that kicks ass." -Andrew Plotkin

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#17 Post by PyTom »

Bellos, there's nothing wrong with bringing a thread back to life if there is something new to be said.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#18 Post by Samu-kun »

Well, it's been four years since this issue came up, and I'm kind of wondering if it'll be safe to start using 1024x768 pixels too. It'll be a nice way to fit in a lot of pretty art into a bigger window instead of squeezing everything into a 800x600 screen. Moreover, full screen 800x600 looks really ugly on a huge HD display monitor. Does anyone's graphics card not support that resolution in this day and age???

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#19 Post by mikey »

Samu-kun wrote:Well, it's been four years since this issue came up, and I'm kind of wondering if it'll be safe to start using 1024x768 pixels too. It'll be a nice way to fit in a lot of pretty art into a bigger window instead of squeezing everything into a 800x600 screen. Moreover, full screen 800x600 looks really ugly on a huge HD display monitor. Does anyone's graphics card not support that resolution in this day and age???
Well, I'm still very fond of 640x480, so far all my games have been in this resolution... But basically, 800x600 (if the game is big) can be accepted. The place where we sometimes go for weekends has this old Win98 computer with a 15'' tube screen that is already a bit broken - it barely does 800x600, but it is functional and so I can play games on it. It is great to have 640x480 there, because you can play it windowed, which is more comfortable with a dying screen, plus the nostalgia factor is huge, and it gives the games a great atmosphere :)

But back to the question - you will see that many of the forum members still use older systems, Win98 and so on, having low-end computers. It's not the majority, but it's a good number of people - add to that me, when I am on a weekend and want to bring my games with me to play completely offline and undisturbed - but even so, statistically you're right, it's safe to use 1024, because the number of people whose monitors or cards don't support that is minimal - the question is more a personal one, how will you feel when they simply won't be able to play the game because of that? Since you are not a huge company, can you afford to lose even one player?

So maybe a second low-spec 640x480 or 800x600 version could be released in parallel, this would be my suggestion - then you can go all out in a full-featured "HD" version - and you don't have to stop at 1024 in that case either.

BellosTheMighty
Regular

#20 Post by BellosTheMighty »

PyTom wrote:Bellos, there's nothing wrong with...
GYAAAAAAH!! *wheels around, shoots PyTom in the face*

Uhh... you're... not a zombie, are you?

Right, sorry about that. Kinda... panicked for a minute. Hehheh... ^_^;;;;;;;;

*runs away swiftly*
----
"Yes, ninety percent would never get finished, and ninety percent of the rest would suck. That's the way it always works. That's how you get stuff that kicks ass." -Andrew Plotkin

EvilDragon
Veteran

#21 Post by EvilDragon »

If the game is gonna be commercial (meaning printed on CDs or DVDs, whatever)... Then why not making separate art for several resolutions, and then pick the appropriate image with some scripting. Sure, it's gonna make the game eat up more space, but then there would be no resizing which degrades the image quality. Instead, an appropriate image would be loaded for the selected resolution (say, 640, 800 or 1024).
Angels of paradise, angels of sacrifice
Please let me be under your wings...

Mikan
Veteran

#22 Post by Mikan »

mikey wrote:Maybe a second low-spec 640x480 or 800x600 version could be released in parallel, this would be my suggestion - then you can go all out in a full-featured "HD" version - and you don't have to stop at 1024 in that case either.
While I was searching for answers, I came across a post where someone suggested releasing two versions as you've mentioned -- a smaller resolution one that would be free, and a higher resolution one that would be sold. It's a lot of work to resize everything if you have a lot of images, but I think this is why I might end up doing. Traditionally gamers with lower end machines have enjoyed visual novels (because they can't play some of the more demanding games), but I hope that trend has changed a little now...

According to w3schools.com, the number of computers online that are 800x600 is 8%, 1024x768 is 48%
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_display.asp
oO assuming all of my players access the internet (how else will they get the game? lol) I guess it's safe to assume almost half of the gamers might be using 1024...

oh, here's a better source: http://googlewebanalytics.blogspot.com/ ... n-and.html

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#23 Post by Samu-kun »

While I was searching for answers, I came across a post where someone suggested releasing two versions as you've mentioned -- a smaller resolution one that would be free, and a higher resolution one that would be sold. It's a lot of work to resize everything if you have a lot of images, but I think this is why I might end up doing. Traditionally gamers with lower end machines have enjoyed visual novels (because they can't play some of the more demanding games), but I hope that trend has changed a little now...
My question is, who in the right mind would actually buy that, other than to pretty much want to donate in the name of charity? You have the entire product available for free. I don't see much reason why anyone would be inclined to pay extra just to get a bigger window. If you add extra content (more cgs, story branches, datable characters) to the commercial version, maybe that'd be a more viable business move. But I certainly wouldn't pay money just to increase the resolution. Not when there's essentially the same game available for free.

Hime
Veteran
Projects: Project Nattsu, Take Rena Home

#24 Post by Hime »

Hmm... I personally think 1024x768 would be too big for a default size. Not only because of the monitor size, but also because 640x480 and 800x600 are kind of standards in VN and I think a lot of people (not all) prefer making graphics for a screen smaller than 1024x768.

And this depends a lot on the person, I guess, but at least I like them being small anyway. I'd feel weird playing a VN that huge.

Not that there would be something wrong with that size, I just think that for a default, nah. Most game makers would go and change it anyway. ^^;

Sapphire Dragon
Regular

#25 Post by Sapphire Dragon »

at the moment mines set at 1280x1024, havent had it set to 800 x 600 since... like windows 95 days.
As an artist id say the highest resolution you can get it, because I hate those pixels being too big to see. I think we are doing deeplake in 1024x768, did anyone have problems running the demo at the high a res? I never actually thought about compatibility with other peoples pc's.
Deeplake: backgrounds= 45 (0 en) frames=149 (0 en)
fullscreen pics= 38 (0 en) Character pics= 191 (15 en) Trailer:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TupfPglEe04
Portfolio:http://www.sapphire-nest.co.uk iDreams Game: http://www.pop-fiction.net

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#26 Post by papillon »

If the game is gonna be commercial (meaning printed on CDs or DVDs, whatever)...
o.0 Are any of us who are making commercial games planning to put them on CD? The overhead generally isn't worth it for a small producer. And download size does matter when you're selling downloads... although a lot less than it used to. So it probably depends on how MUCH bigger it gets.

Of course, there are some people nowadays who are very frustrated that they have super-huge resolutions but that their games only come in tiny, unplayable windowed-mode or stretched-out, multitasking-unfriendly fullscreen mode. If you can swing support for multiple resolutions and multiple windowed-sizes, there are people who will be grateful.

zephiel
Regular

#27 Post by zephiel »

i cant..i play vn's on my fujitsu tablet, so i dont think it wold worlk well...im one of the rare people who ideals Vn's on the go..lol
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
......................ZZZ
.................ZZZ zuu, zenthosa nara verr nehi zunu.
.............ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

luminarious
Veteran
Projects: Winter, winter

#28 Post by luminarious »

I'm using a 1280*1024 monitor, but I would refuse to play a game that uses 1024*768. I play in windowed mode, if possible since I like to do other things too while playing and 800*600 is perfect for windowed size.

What do you think about non-standard resolutions? I'm considering 800*480 for a project of mine, to make it look more like a movie.. :) 800*480 is what most handheld devices seem to use, while 800*500 would fit better on most widescreen monitors that have 16:10 ratio. So I'm having trouble deciding..

F.I.A
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Winter Shard, EVE, Hyperion

#29 Post by F.I.A »

Mikan wrote:What about 1024x768? Is there a reason why game makers favor 800x600?

The only reason why I can see gamers preferring 800x600 is for LCDs that have a native resolution of 1024x768 (such as a laptop).
I mean, it'd nullify the point of having full screen and window mode...
The reason about having a window mode or full screen is so that the player can play to his preferences(Whether to play it while having msn on, or goes full -screen to enjoy it). If the default size is the same as 1024x768, how is he supposed to window it?

Also, the reason with 640x480 or 800x600 is that both are supported by most pcs. We already have full-screen to match with the player's custom resolution.
luminarious wrote:What do you think about non-standard resolutions? I'm considering 800*480 for a project of mine, to make it look more like a movie.. :) 800*480 is what most handheld devices seem to use, while 800*500 would fit better on most widescreen monitors that have 16:10 ratio. So I'm having trouble deciding..
I would advise against that. Having awkward resolution size will tend to mess up the monitor when the "F" key is pressed.
「通りすがりのメーカだ。覚えとけ。」

----------
Winter shard
WIP: Hyperion(Trace unknown), ?????(Progressing)

luminarious
Veteran
Projects: Winter, winter

#30 Post by luminarious »

I tested with the computers at home.. Ati, nVidia and an old Intel integrated chipset could all handle switching from fullscreen to window with 800*500 as resolution. Based on that, I will give it a try.. I've got so much more to win than lose.. :)