(DEMO LIVE) Lovecraft (?xG) (Action/Adventure w/Horror Elements)

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Soundstorm
Projects: Elementalism
Tumblr: Elementalistacademy

(DEMO LIVE) Lovecraft (?xG) (Action/Adventure w/Horror Elements)

#1 Post by Soundstorm »

Lovecraft
titlescreen.png
Synopsis
Taylor (default name) has had an interesting life. Anything paranormal in this world that you can think of, Taylor has witnessed. Werewolves? A pack lives out in their yard. Vampires? One probably attempted to kidnap them last Tuesday. Spirits? A demon lives in his attic, a poltergeist in the kitchen, and a shadow person takes turns running the dishwasher with them. They don't know why weirdness is drawn to them, it's just all they know. As a means of coping, they’ve grown rather bored by it.

The library in the basement of Taylor's house is also an interesting phenomena. The contents change every few hours or so, and hold every type of media you could possibly imagine. The only shelf that never seems to change is the shelf containing the works of HP Lovecraft. Fitting, really.

One day, after a somewhat peaceful morning, they go down to the basement to find that the Lovecraft bookshelf has changed, if only slightly: a purple book sits on the shelf, where it wasn't for years prior.

Upon opening the book, a purple-haired girl climbs out. Making a strange declaration about Taylor's nature and an even stranger declaration about matricide, she whisks them away to another dimension. Along the way, maybe Taylor will learn about the nature of their existence, about the tension building in the lives of these new goddesses around them, maybe even find a way to stop the universe as we know it from decaying into nothingness.

Or, you know, they could die. I guess there's only one way to find out.

Characters

Taylor
The protagonist of the game. Gender unspecified, name changeable. They're the (debatably?) unfortunate soul who gets dragged into this mess.
Carrie
Carrie Neutral 1.png
A confident, athletic goddess with sass for days, Carrie lives within the "Lighthouse" section of the Dreamscape. She resides within the mountains but comes down from time to time for a change of pace. She looks down on anything that isn't a god or goddess, especially humans. Aside from her familiar, she doesn't seem to have any company, friends or family to speak of, and keeps people at an arms length to prevent these kinds of connections...
Heather
Heather Neutral 1.png
Heather is a logical and calm goddess, and is the only one who initially cares for Taylor's safety. She calls Taylor her 'master' and would give her life to protect them. She seems touchy when her old master is mentioned, and has a history that she fears will catch up with her...
She hates Nyala with a burning passion.
Carolina
Carolina Neutral 1.png
Carolina is a quiet, mysterious goddess whom Taylor awakens in the ocean of the lighthouse during the story. Unlike most of the others, she has hundreds, if not thousands of familiars, and is the only one who can tell them apart. Despite having been asleep a long time, no one else even knew Carolina was there, and thus she's an enigma to all. Who knows what she has hiding in her history...
Aria
Aria Neutral 1.png
An unknown, mysterious figure, said to be the mother of the known universe. Multiple goddesses want her dead...
Nyala
Nyala Neutral 1.png
WILL UPDATE LATER
Other Information

There are no H Scenes in the game.
The demo is coming out on June 25th!
I was hoping maybe to get some attention for the demo so we could get some feedback. This is the first time either I or my artist Daisy have made a visual novel (though I have worked on one in the past, it is currently shelved so I can work on this one instead), so
We wanna get all the feedback we can get. Ideas, suggestions, discussions, etc.
We have a twitter (@lovecraftvn) and a discord linked there too!
Known Problems:
-We need more than the working title, which is simply "Lovecraft" at the moment. I am aware that such a name might be hard to look up ^^' I have to discuss it with my artist.
-2 Known glitches in the demo. They might be fixed by the time the game comes out, but will specify what they are if not.
Last edited by Soundstorm on Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

parttimestorier
Veteran
Completed: No Other Medicine, Well Met By Moonlight, RE:BURN, The Light at the End of the Ocean, Take A Hike!, Wizard School Woes
Projects: Seeds of Dreams
itch: janetitor

Re: Lovecraft (?xG) (Action/Adventure)

#2 Post by parttimestorier »

This sounds really fun! I always like stories that borrow from Lovecraft, especially the ones that are probably making him roll over in his grave. I really like your character designs too - it's really cute how they each have their own colour that kind of makes a rainbow, and their outfits are all so unique. I'll be looking forward to more news about this one! And for title ideas, maybe you could go through a list of Lovecraft's works and try to think of a funny pun based on one of them or something.
ImageImageImage

Soundstorm

Re: Lovecraft (?xG) (Action/Adventure)

#3 Post by Soundstorm »

Yeahhhh this would make him roll in his grave for sure, haha! Even with some of the horror elements incorporated that we use, he would...not be happy. He was kind of racist anyway so whatever.

Thank you for the feedback! I’ll let my artist know, the designs were all her and she’s fantastic at what she does.

The suggestion is also noted, I think that’d be a fun little idea. I’ll have to think about it some!

As a small update, the demo comes out in 12 days! Very excited, equal parts nervous.

Soundstorm

Re: Lovecraft (?xG) (Action/Adventure w/Horror Elements)

#4 Post by Soundstorm »

In about an hour or two, I’m gonna update this page with a demo. Otherwise, keep an eye out for updates on Twitter at ‘ lovecraftvn ‘

Soundstorm

Re: (DEMO LIVE) Lovecraft (?xG) (Action/Adventure w/Horror Elements)

#5 Post by Soundstorm »

I don’t think I ever mentioned that there’s a demo linked here now, for those who might have any interest? I mentioned it in passing then said nothing. But those who might be curious and have a more up to date post about it, there’s a demo and a Patreon.

https://purorange.itch.io/lovecraft
https://www.patreon.com/Lovecraftvn

The demo is also linked in the first post. There’s a discord and twitter linked in the game itself. It’s free, though there’s a $5 donation incentive for a bunch of cool backgrounds of the characters.