Is there a "point system" ?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
LuciVes
Projects: The book of Blood of Shadows

Is there a "point system" ?

#1 Post by LuciVes »

Hey everyone! :3

I'm very new in here, so I hope my question doesn't seem to weird :

Is there a way to make a point system, where every time you make a choice, you gain points and when you have enough, something triggers?
Example:
Every time you decide to spend time with X , you get a point. When you have 10 points, X becomes interested in you

( And is there a way to get them to trigger automatic? Like when X gets 15 points, they ask you out? )

Thank you so much! :3
Last edited by LuciVes on Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rayminator
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Is there a "point system" ?

#2 Post by rayminator »

you can try this one out and check out the cook book section there other stuff there that might help

Affection Points by Dragonstar89
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=22817#p287294

LuciVes

#3 Post by LuciVes »

Thank you so much! :3

LuciVes

#4 Post by LuciVes »

Do you know if there's a way to make events trigger?
Like when they get X points, the girl will ask you out? :3

rayminator
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by rayminator »

you should ask Dragonstar89 that i think you can but I don't know how to make it do that

LuciVes

#6 Post by LuciVes »

Okay ! :3 Thanks <3

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#7 Post by trooper6 »

It sounds like you don't know any Python and that you want to do more complex things with Ren'Py. Most of the complex things require a bit of Python. You need to know what a variable is and how to use one. I recommend the free Python tutorial from CodeAcademy.com but, there are lots of tutorials out there that will teach you the basics.

Answering your question is a little bit tricky, because I don't know how complicated you are imagining your game to be. I don't know if you are imagining something very simple, or if you want an entire complex dating sim. If you want an entire complex dating sim, you might want to check out the Dating Sim Engine: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=31571
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

LuciVes

#8 Post by LuciVes »

trooper6 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:24 pm It sounds like you don't know any Python and that you want to do more complex things with Ren'Py. Most of the complex things require a bit of Python. You need to know what a variable is and how to use one. I recommend the free Python tutorial from CodeAcademy.com but, there are lots of tutorials out there that will teach you the basics.

Answering your question is a little bit tricky, because I don't know how complicated you are imagining your game to be. I don't know if you are imagining something very simple, or if you want an entire complex dating sim. If you want an entire complex dating sim, you might want to check out the Dating Sim Engine: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=31571
Thank you for the reply! :3

We're planning to have X getting more and more evil, when [player] makes bad choices, and when it reaches a certain point, X starts doubting all of [players]friends ~

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by trooper6 »

Right...but I also don’t know how you plan on setting up the game itself. A traditional VN where you start at the beginning of a story and move forward. Or do you want a dating sim sort of framework where every day you have a similar set of options (go to class, visit -, visit B, etc), and you repeat that choice menu every day? Or is there a map you pick options on? There are lots of different ways to set up your game. And knowing how you are setting it up helps to figure out how to do what you want to do.

Is the person whose variable you want to track a constant companion (which means you may need to track that variable all the time?), or is this a person you choose to meet (so maybe you only need to check the variable when you choose to meet them?).

If they hit 15, do you want them to ask the MC out immediately, interrupting whatever conversation hey were having or do you want them to ask them out the next time they talk?

I find when programming like this, it is really useful to make a flowchart where you work out exactly how you want things to work and in which specific steps...that makes it easier to work out how to code what you want...because it could be done In 100 different ways.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

LuciVes

#10 Post by LuciVes »

I'm planning on having it move along ~
Like reading a book, moving on from chapter to chapter. And I want it to trigger at events.

If you have 15 when asked "Are you hungry?" it's gonna tell you not to eat the food, but if you don't have those 15 points, it's silent.
And it's tracked with every decision the player make.

Did that make sense, or am I just rambling? x3

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran

#11 Post by trooper6 »

Here is the simplest way to do what you are talking about. There are other ways I'd do it that would be more efficient, but would require more than basic Renpy.

Code: Select all

default love_pts = 0

label start:
    "You game starts here."
    menu:
        "What would you like to do?"
        "Something nice for the NPC":
            $love_pts += 1
            "You do something nice."
        "Something terrible for the NPC":
            $love_pts -= 1
            "You do something terrible"

#Your game goes on for a long time with lots of choices

"You are walking down the street after many hours of game time. You see an apple."
    menu:
        "Do you eat it?"
        "Yes":
            jump poisoned_end
        "No":
            jump chapter_2
        "NPC tells you not to eat the apple, it is poisoned!" if love_pts >= 15
            jump chapter_2

#The game goes on...

"You are having a lovely day with NPC."
    if love_pts >= 15:
        "They smile at you and you know everything is right with the world."
    else:
        "But you have a feeling that they may not like you as much as you like them."
    "You continue walking."
    "The end."

A Close Shave: