Ren'py for mobile?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
LuciVes
Projects: The book of Blood of Shadows

Ren'py for mobile?

#1 Post by LuciVes »

I know I'm making a lot of questions today, but it says only one pr post >o>

Is it possible to use Ren'Py for mobil games?
If yes: How do I change it to fit a phone screen ? :3

ComputerArt.Club
Veteran
Completed: Famous Fables, BoPoMoFo: Learn Chinese, Santa's workshop, Cat's Bath, Computer Art Club

Re: Ren'py for mobile?

#2 Post by ComputerArt.Club »

Yes, Renpy can build Android and iOS packages, but for iOS you need MacOS to build it. I have made several different apps of different resolutions (some at full HD but others at a lower resolution), but they always seem to adjust themselves to automatically for the device. :)

One final piece of information, I design specifically for Android when I am making my games. I make sure all the buttons are large enough. I also test on android as often as possible during development.

Crazy Li
Regular

Re: Ren'py for mobile?

#3 Post by Crazy Li »

To add to this, if you look on the lower right hand options of the Ren'py launcher, under "Build Distributions", you'll see "Android" and then "iOS". These are what you want to use to make phone games. You'll need to download some additional software (including JDK 8, I believe) in order to compile for mobile. The JDK, you need to get on your own, but the Android stuff, Ren'py will download for you.

In that screen (the one you get after clicking "Android"), there's also emulation options in the upper-left, where you can check how your game will display on phones and tablets and test out to make sure your game still functions as intended on these devices with your mouse emulating touch. As the previous post said, Ren'py will scale your game down to fit the screen of the device on its own, so you don't really have to do anything to make it fit. You just want to make sure the size of phones and graphics are viewable on the smaller screen, which the Phone test can help you get an idea of.