Outlining specific lines of text

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
parttimestorier
Veteran
Completed: No Other Medicine, Well Met By Moonlight, RE:BURN, The Light at the End of the Ocean, Take A Hike!, Wizard School Woes
Projects: Seeds of Dreams
itch: janetitor

Outlining specific lines of text

#1 Post by parttimestorier »

I have a point in my game where I want to outline a few specific lines of text, and I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out how to do that. I've seen instructions for how to make all text outlined by default, or make a specific character's name and/or dialogue outlined, but nothing for just outlining one little bit one time. And I don't think I can just define a character with outlined dialogue to say these lines, since at this point I'm actually showing a bunch of text outside of the normal dialogue box like this:

Code: Select all

show text "blah blah blah" as text_01 at text1

pause

show text "blah blah blah" as text_02 at text2

pause
Can anyone help me figure out how to add an outline to that kind of text? Thanks!
ImageImageImage

philat
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Outlining specific lines of text

#2 Post by philat »

Have you tried the outlinecolor tag? https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/text.htm ... tlinecolor

parttimestorier
Veteran
Completed: No Other Medicine, Well Met By Moonlight, RE:BURN, The Light at the End of the Ocean, Take A Hike!, Wizard School Woes

#3 Post by parttimestorier »

philat wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:47 pm Have you tried the outlinecolor tag? https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/text.htm ... tlinecolor
Right, I knew there was something important I forgot to mention! Yes, that doesn't seem to work for some reason and I have no idea why. I don't get an error message or anything, but the outlines don't show up. It's also occurred to me that it might be possible that the other modifications I'm making to the text are interfering with that - including the attempt at outlines, I have a bunch of tags around it right now like this:

"{outlinecolor=#ffffff}{size=+7}{color=#000000}{b}text goes here{/b}{/color}{/size}{/outlinecolor}"
(It's because I have a bunch of different lines showing up at different places in the screen at this point to simulate a bunch of people talking at once, and I want to really highlight a few of them and make them stand out from the rest.) The other three tags all work perfectly but I don't see the outline.
ImageImageImage

Tayruu
Regular

#4 Post by Tayruu »

Testing: with outline in dialogue style, without, and with an invisible outline.

It seems that the outline colour tag only affects text if there's already defined outline styles for that text. You can however give your dialogue an invisible outline style, eg. outlines [(2, "#0000", 1, 1), (2, "#0000", 0, 0)]. I also tested to see if you could create a style tag and use that, but it just made the text itself red - style tags only support certain styles.

parttimestorier
Veteran

#5 Post by parttimestorier »

Tayruu wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:23 pm You can however give your dialogue an invisible outline style, eg. outlines [(2, "#0000", 1, 1), (2, "#0000", 0, 0)].
Okay, thank you - I think I understand how it works a bit better now. So where would you put that outline code in order to apply it to a certain line?
ImageImageImage

parttimestorier
Veteran

#6 Post by parttimestorier »

Update: in case anyone else stumbles across this thread with the same question, I get it now! I just first had to set the default style of text to have an invisible outline, which I did by adding this to options.rpy:

style.default.outlines = [ (1, "#0000", 0, 0) ]
Once that invisible outline is there, I can change it for specific text:

show text "{outlinecolor=#ffffff}Now the always present invisible outline has turned white.{/outlinecolor}"
ImageImageImage

Remix
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: None... yet (as I'm still looking for an artist)
Projects: An un-named anime based trainer game

#7 Post by Remix »

Just for info, you could pass an outlines parameter to Text() if you just want it all the same...

show expression Text("ABC", outlines=[(2, "#567", 0, 0)]) at top
Frameworks & Scriptlets: