How do you use renpy?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
lilurz
Regular
Completed: None, yet.
Projects: The Hawkins Files

How do you use renpy?

#1 Post by lilurz »

Hi, I'm new. I wanted to make a VN months ago but I couldn't do it. I was wondering if any of you could teach me? Thanks.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: How do you use renpy?

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

Eileen is always happy to help.
There is a tutorial included with Renpy explaining most of the basics and some of the more advanced stuff. Have you given it a try?
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

isobellesophia
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: None
Projects: Maddox and Friends! (AI Teacher friend), Friendly Universities! (Soon)
Organization: Friendly Teachers series
Deviantart: SophBelle
itch: Child Creation

#3 Post by isobellesophia »

There is a tutorial example in the Renpy engine, can you at least try? You can also take in the documentation website, including many basics to how to use RenPy.
I am a friendly user, please respect and have a good day.

Elsa Kisiel
Regular
Completed: Shieldlock Holmes
Projects: Home Spatial Home

#4 Post by Elsa Kisiel »

Like the other said, there's a tutorial and an exemple in Renpy, and they are very well made.

When you open Renpy, there is a game named "The question". Click on scrypt.rpy in edit file: it's a renpy game made for being an exemple easy to understand.
There's also a game named Tutorial: click on launch project, and it will launch a "game" that should answer most of your question about Renpy. (Unless you want to do something very specific: in this case, you might have to look on forums, or on Renpy Coockbook, on Internet.)

If you're wishing for another way to learn Renpy, I've seen a lot of Renpy tutorials on Internet, and on Youtube. Maybe seeing things in a video will be easier for you if Renpy's tutorial didn't work for you...?
Illustrator • Commission open: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=59346 • My portfolio: https://elsakisiel.artstation.com/

Take a cup of tea and let yourself be charmed by my stories and my drawings. Here, everything is bewitched and bewitching!

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#5 Post by Imperf3kt »

I wouldn't suggest YouTube. Many of the videos I've seen have been outdated, wrong, or the person who made it just copy/pasted somebody else's work and has no idea how it works (usually leading to incorrect guidance)

The quick start guide and cookbook would be my secondary recommendation.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

damonRuru

#6 Post by damonRuru »

Please ask question concerning ren'py here Ren'Py Questions and Announcements
Since this section is only for completed game :)
Thank you!

just a tips for using renpy = The tutorial game inside the renpy should help you enough if you open it via your script editor like Jedit/Editra. This can also help you in your coding journey Ren'py Documentation or you can always delve within completed game that does not archived their data so you can learn from the coding they use ( i usually do this for any feature on game that i am interested on and wanted to use for myself for example like relationship bar and more in depth point variable feature).
I am lurking behind every corner of the world just to seek one special spice for my life.

+mike

#7 Post by +mike »

In addition to the previous valuable tips I suggest you pick up and edit the file "script.rpy" from the tutorial named "the question" and change its contents to match your VN story.
Start with little changes and you will find it easy to follow.
To check the changes you have to execute the file "renpy.exe" and start the tutorial game "the question" .
Bear in mind that first of all you have to get your own story script and your own images to replace the original ones from the tutorial. Plan everything and make your script in advance on paper.
• make it simple, it should work! •