BaraJam 2019 - It's Back!

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
bobconway
Regular
Completed: Whale's Waldo, Xenopathy, YAGS, Earth Boys are Easy, Charles 2.0, YAGS Booty Call
Projects: http://bobcgames.com
Tumblr: bobcgames
itch: bobcgames

BaraJam 2019 - It's Back!

#1 Post by bobconway »

After a successful inaugural BaraJam last year, we're back this year to unite creators in their love of bara, now with an extended development time.

BaraJam 2019 is a two-month jam that starts on October 1, 2019 and ends on November 30, 2019, dedicated to the creation of male and/or male-relationship focused games that feature the "bara" influence.

For more details, read on or visit the official jam page.

So what exactly is "bara"? As wikipedia describes it:

"Bara - is a Japanese technical term for a genre of art and fictional media that focuses on male same-sex love usually created by gay men for a gay male audience.

Bara can vary in visual style and plot, but typically features masculine men with varying degrees of muscle, body fat, and body hair, akin to bear culture in gay culture.

While this jam is, of course, open to all participants/audiences of any gender, please be mindful that your submissions have the characterizations of bara which lean to containing character(s) who are muscular or have a bear-like build, and are possibly hairy or rugged. So although bara can mean different things to different people, a good summary of this jam is a focus on non-bishounen characters, a reflection of varied body shapes and comfortable masculinity.

Also, to be clear, bara need not have NSFW content and submissions can simply discuss themes related to the essence of bara to qualify. Check out last year's entries for some examples of bara-themed games.

This jam encourages creation of all genres of games and not just visual novels.

Want to join? Come join us in our Discord server to socialize, share ideas, or find a team; and sign up for the jam on itch.io here.

See my other games here or find me on Twitter

illuminate001
Veteran
Completed: DSGR, Let's MEAT Adam, Sexy Litter, Bara Boarders
Projects: Secret Project
Organization: Soulsoft Electronic Arts
Tumblr: soulsoftea
itch: soulsoftea

Re: BaraJam 2019 - It's Back!

#2 Post by illuminate001 »

KYAAAAAAA ~! <3 I just had to reply cause I'm crazy and I honestly can't help myself lol! It's been a whirlwind as BJ2019 came together rather quickly and (on my part) without as much premeditation as last year.

I'm glad that Bob is one of our new CoHosts this year and I encourage you to check out his games but also to visit the official BaraJam 2019 itch page, and show your support by joining. It's a single button click and you're on your way to ensuring more Bara and LGBTQ+ indie games get made. =)
ImageImage
ImageImage

Red-Baby
Veteran
Completed: Free!: Arabian Nights, BAKED:MAGIC, I'm a love interest in my CHILDHOOD FRIEND'S reverse harem!!!, I'm a side character in a BL story!, Ell's Kitchen
Projects: Wrong Number
Organization: WitPOP
itch: red-baby

#3 Post by Red-Baby »

Yay! Congrats on running another year of Bara Jam!!!

illuminate001
Veteran

#4 Post by illuminate001 »

Red-Baby wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:57 pm Yay! Congrats on running another year of Bara Jam!!!
Haha yeah its back Red! I saw that you took up the mantle as YaoiJam host this year. That's pretty sweet and Im really glad to see we're both CoHosting and keeping things alive and well.

Are you planning to joinup/participate? :wink:
ImageImage
ImageImage

Red-Baby
Veteran
Completed: Free!: Arabian Nights, BAKED:MAGIC, I'm a love interest in my CHILDHOOD FRIEND'S reverse harem!!!, I'm a side character in a BL story!, Ell's Kitchen
Projects: Wrong Number
Organization: WitPOP
itch: red-baby

#5 Post by Red-Baby »

illuminate001 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:13 am
Red-Baby wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:57 pm Yay! Congrats on running another year of Bara Jam!!!
Haha yeah its back Red! I saw that you took up the mantle as YaoiJam host this year. That's pretty sweet and Im really glad to see we're both CoHosting and keeping things alive and well.

Are you planning to joinup/participate? :wink:
Haha, thanks! Yeah, I found out the previous host was too busy to run it this year, and I need yaoi in my life. lol.

I'm glad you're able to extend it to two months this year!!! Yay, I hope there will be more entries.

If I can join a team I'll participate =D but I won't be able to solo dev.
Do you already have something planned?

verysunshine
Veteran
Organization: Wild Rose Interactive

#6 Post by verysunshine »

This seems super fun! Which forum would be the best for looking for groups for the jam?

Build the basics first, then add all the fun bits.

Please check out my games on my itch.io page!

illuminate001
Veteran

#7 Post by illuminate001 »

@Red-Baby the 2month jam time came from an overwhelmingly large margin and besides, since BARA JAM is so new, I like mixing things up and seeing what sticks and what doesnt.

Right now, I don't have plans to form a team or create a game myself (my contribution was being part of the BJ Asset Pack creation) but trust me if I was forming something, I'd love to have you onboard! ^_^

@verysunshine Hi there Very! :P right now the best place to recruit or be recruited for a team would be to join the "Bara Dev Discord". There's a #channel specifically there to post about your skills or what you're looking to join or recruit for. https://discord.gg/HQtb2qe
ImageImage
ImageImage

verysunshine
Veteran
Organization: Wild Rose Interactive

#8 Post by verysunshine »

illuminate001 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:36 pm @verysunshine Hi there Very! :P right now the best place to recruit or be recruited for a team would be to join the "Bara Dev Discord". There's a #channel specifically there to post about your skills or what you're looking to join or recruit for. https://discord.gg/HQtb2qe
Thank you!

Build the basics first, then add all the fun bits.

Please check out my games on my itch.io page!

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#9 Post by Zelan »

BJ grew a beard since last year! Good for him lmao.

Super cool to see this continuing, it was cool to see all the entries last year and I hope we can keep it going for a while. (:

illuminate001
Veteran

#10 Post by illuminate001 »

Hey Zelan! Love that new avatar! Is it truly representative of you physically?! So cool!

Anyways, yes, we're back on for another year and the jam officially began a few days ago, so Oct.1st! I'd say you should come join as well!

PS. BJ originally wasn't spec'd to have a beard, but it was a fun suggestion from someone on our Bara Devs Discord, and it just fit! :lol:
ImageImage
ImageImage

bobconway
Regular
Completed: Whale's Waldo, Xenopathy, YAGS, Earth Boys are Easy, Charles 2.0, YAGS Booty Call

#11 Post by bobconway »

Friendly reminder that the jam is now (approximately) half over!

We already have three great submitted games, and there's still plenty of time for you to join up.

bobconway
Regular

#12 Post by bobconway »

A bit belated, but the jam was a huge success this year! We ended up with 20 games (19 of which are free to play), and actually had some games that weren't Visual Novels: There's an adventure game, some RPGs, and a couple of action/clicker games in addition to all of the story-based goodness of VNs.

Check out the games on the jam page, and leave comments and ratings for the ones you like!
https://itch.io/jam/barajam-2019/entries