[DEMO RELEASED] Sweet As Magic [BxB][Romance/Fantasy/Drama][Yaoi Jam 2019]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Yulia
Regular
Completed: Reflections ~Dreams & Reality~, SSWK, The Queen of Blackwood High
Projects: Honey Trap, Sweet As Magic, Mizari Loves Company, Picture Perfect Romance, Luna Piena ~Descent into Darkness~, EDD, AOGTSR, Possessions
Organization: Reine Works, Crystal Compass
itch: crystal-compass

[DEMO RELEASED] Sweet As Magic [BxB][Romance/Fantasy/Drama][Yaoi Jam 2019]

#1 Post by Yulia »

Hello! My name is Wes, and I'm the director of Sweet As Magic, a BxB visual novel that focuses on fantasy, romance, and drama. A beta of the demo will be submitted for Yaoi Jam 2019 under the team name, Crystal Compass, with the release of the updated demo and full game scheduled for late fall/winter of this year.

UPDATE AS OF 9/8/19
Thank you to everyone who has shown interest in Sweet as Magic, the demo is now available to play! Please click the link below to download!
https://crystal-compass.itch.io/sweet-as-magic

Ryuu belongs to a rare class of mixed breeds, his father being a warlock and his mother being a dragon. All he wishes for is to live his life out peacefully as a humble cafe owner, but his restaurant is struggling with bills due to its lack in popularity. He needs to work fast in order to keep his dream job afloat, and his golden opportunity seems to appear out of nowhere in the form of four, unique men that stumble into his life. However, he'll find himself in a situation where he's never been before—falling in love was never part of his life-long plan, but fate says otherwise.

Genres: Fantasy, Romance, Slice-of-Life, Friendship, Comedy, Drama

Rating: T

Warnings: Language, mild sexual content, some depictions of violence. The game also features shaking screens.

Ryuu
  • Age (Appearance-wise): 23
  • Height: 5'10"
  • Species: Mixed (Dragon + Warlock)
  • Favorite Food: Sweet brioche toast with whipped cream cheese and strawberry jam
  • Favorite Drink: Chrysanthemum iced tea
  • Background: Despite his lineage, Ryuu has very little interest in becoming a warlock or a councilman in the dragon clan. All he wishes for is to live peacefully while managing his quaint cafe for the rest of his life.

Arjana
  • Age (Appearance-wise): 30
  • Height: 6'0"
  • Species: Dragon
  • Favorite Food: Anything spicy and or fried, beef stew with potatoes and carrots
  • Favorite Drink: Bourbon old-fashioned
  • Background: A single father that works hard to raise his daughter and to give her the happy life she deserves. He's a bit on the quiet side, but underneath that silent, brooding scowl is a man with a big heart.

Chayton
  • Age (Appearance-wise): 25
  • Height: 6'1"
  • Species: Unicorn
  • Favorite Food: Seared wagyu with bourbon glazed carrots
  • Favorite Drink: Hazelnut Latte
  • Background: Chayton is well known in the entertainment industry as being one of the most elusive bachelors to date. A cold, stone-faced 'prince' that has little to no interest in all of the people that seek his attention and hand in marriage.

Lucio
  • Age (Appearance-wise): 27
  • Height: 5'11"
  • Species: Vampire
  • Favorite Food: Balsamic roasted beet salad and fresh berries
  • Favorite Drink: Lime Margarita
  • Background: Lucio is a charismatic man who seeks the thrills in life. He has lived as a sheltered young master for all his life and wishes for nothing more than to defy his father's rules. He treasures his siblings and hopes to give them all the freedom they deserve.

Ramiel
  • Age (Appearance-wise): 21
  • Height: 5'9"
  • Species: Incubus
  • Favorite Food: Grilled Halibut sandwich with baked veggie chips
  • Favorite Drink: Raspberry Lemonade
  • Background: Living as an incubus has been difficult for Ramiel, who is incredibly shy around people and quite introverted. Many perceive him wrongly as a troublemaker and total flirt, which creates a border between the people he wants to form a bond with.

Minor Characters

Zo
  • Age (Appearance-wise): 23
  • Height: 5'9"
  • Species: Zombie
  • Favorite Food: Kale salad with snow peas, carrots, cherry tomatoes, and croutons
  • Favorite Drink: Strawberry Banana Kale Smoothie
  • Background: Growing up in an orphanage forced Zo to grow up a lot faster than most kids. However, he doesn't mind since he has many brothers and sisters that he loves dearly who are just like him. He's easy-going and incredibly devoted to the people close to him. Ryuu and him have been friends for quite some time, so he's always there when Ryuu needs him.

Rafaela
  • Age (Appearance-wise): 40
  • Height: 5'11"
  • Favorite Food: Roasted bell pepper pasta and peach tarts
  • Favorite Drink: Rosemary Tea
  • Background: Rafaela is Ryuu's mother and a dragoness of high status within the clan and community. She possesses an intimidating aura that makes her seem untouchable, and it has given her an advantage in the tense environment of the dragon council. However, she does show a rare, kinder side of her—but only in the presence of her family.

Kalisha
  • Age (Appearance-wise): 8
  • Height: 3'6"
  • Favorite Food: French toast with caramel and snickerdoodles
  • Favorite Drink: Strawberry milk
  • Background: After watching her father do his best to support the both of them, Kalisha made a personal vow to become independent and to help her dad in any way she can. She's quite distrusting of others and is fiercely protective of her dad after her mother abandoned them both.

...and many more!

Rozalia City (Modern Day): Capital of the Monster Metropolis

The Wicked Wyvern
Ryuu's restaurant, which serves as a quaint cafe during the day and a bar at night.

Ruby Manor
Lucio's family estate where he lives with his father, mother, and five siblings.

Mystic Park
One of the largest public parks in Rozalia City, known for its beautiful arched bridges and crystal-clear streams.

The Quarter
A massive plaza and shopping area that is constantly bustling with life.

Yaoi Jam 2019 Ver. (Demo Beta)
  • Writing: 100%
  • Editing: 100%
  • Programming: 100%
  • Sprites: 100%
  • Game Resolution: 1920 x 1080
  • 1 - 1.5 Hours of Gameplay (2+ Hours for Full Ver. ONLY)
  • Original Character Art
  • 20,000+ words of content (25,000+ words for Full Ver. ONLY)
  • A mini-game involving cooking/drink-mixing (In-development/Planned for the updated demo)
  • Magical Species Glossary (In-development/Planned for the updated demo)

Directing, Writing, Narrative Design, Character Concept, Art Assets, Assistive Programming: Wes
Assistive Directing, Writing, Editing, Narrative Design: Renkka
Character Art & Design: Remnantation
Programming, Editing, Animation, Misc. Art Assets: Ende
Background Art: Minikle
Music: Fesliyan Studios, Patrick de Arteaga, Shane Ivers (https://www.silvermansound.com/free-music), ZapSplat, David-Gwyn Jones
SFX: shall555, http://freesound.org/, dersuperanton, Srehpog, CGEffex, ZapSplat
Video Editing/Trailer: KotoriWorks
Quality Assurance: Ende, Renkka, Wes

Sweet as Magic itch.io
Crystal Compass itch.io
Twitter

1. Which character interests you the most and why?
  2. Who would you choose to romance first?
  3. What do you look forward to seeing in the game?
Last edited by Yulia on Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wes (Crystal Compass)
~ Writer, Art Director, Narrative Designer, Developer ~

ImageImage
ImageImage

High
Regular

Re: Sweet As Magic [BxB][Romance/Fantasy/Drama][Yaoi Jam 2019]

#2 Post by High »

1. Which character interests you the most and why?

Ramiel. He's the best looking guy in my opinion. Also I find the idea of a socially awkward incubus interesting because incubus and succubus usually need sex to survive. So I wonder how that will work.

I'm going to be an over-sharer and list all the guys in order of most appealing to me and why:

1. Ramiel - For reasons stated above.
2. Lucio - He's cute and his description hints at proper storyline more than any other character.
3. Chayton - Eh, don't really care about him. Not here for the cold and aloof types anymore, in games or real life.
4. Arjana - He has a daughter so that's no from me. Also with him being the same species as Ryuu and his mother, and because he is the first love interest presented in your post makes me think that he's meant to be the "main" love interest and my rebellious self hates that.

I want to understand the species of the game and what makes them different from one another. Visually they don't look distinct from one another, save for an odd colored eye and hair and the brief description of the characters doesn't make it clear what it entails to be a warlock, a dragon, a unicorn,etc... in the universe of Sweet as Magic. So I'm curious where that's going in terms of world building.

Stray Thoughts:

*A (half) dragon named Ryu. I see what you did there Wes.
*I wish I could romance Zo. T_T
*Lucio favorite drink is not blood and his favorite food is salad. Do I smell a vegan vampire?
*Unicorns typically only allow virgin maidens to ride them, so I'm wondering if Chayton rejects so many people because they're not virgins.

Yulia
Regular
Projects: Honey Trap, Sweet As Magic, Mizari Loves Company, Picture Perfect Romance, Luna Piena ~Descent into Darkness~, EDD, AOGTSR, Possessions

#3 Post by Yulia »

High wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:52 am 1. Which character interests you the most and why?

Ramiel. He's the best looking guy in my opinion. Also I find the idea of a socially awkward incubus interesting because incubus and succubus usually need sex to survive. So I wonder how that will work.

I'm going to be an over-sharer and list all the guys in order of most appealing to me and why:

1. Ramiel - For reasons stated above.
2. Lucio - He's cute and his description hints at proper storyline more than any other character.
3. Chayton - Eh, don't really care about him. Not here for the cold and aloof types anymore, in games or real life.
4. Arjana - He has a daughter so that's no from me. Also with him being the same species as Ryuu and his mother, and because he is the first love interest presented in your post makes me think that he's meant to be the "main" love interest and my rebellious self hates that.

I want to understand the species of the game and what makes them different from one another. Visually they don't look distinct from one another, save for an odd colored eye and hair and the brief description of the characters doesn't make it clear what it entails to be a warlock, a dragon, a unicorn,etc... in the universe of Sweet as Magic. So I'm curious where that's going in terms of world building.

Stray Thoughts:

*A (half) dragon named Ryu. I see what you did there Wes.
*I wish I could romance Zo. T_T
*Lucio favorite drink is not blood and his favorite food is salad. Do I smell a vegan vampire?
*Unicorns typically only allow virgin maidens to ride them, so I'm wondering if Chayton rejects so many people because they're not virgins.
Thank you for showing interest in our project, High!

I'm glad to hear that you like Ramiel, we'll definitely delve into more of his story and how he handles his incubus nature in the full version of the game.

And I love that you made a list, it really helps to see what people think of the characters! All of them have significance in Ryuu's life as they interact with him, but no one is meant to be a 'main' love interest since it's up to the player to choose.

As for the world-building aspect, it'll be interwoven with the story as it progresses for sure! And a glossary of all the species is in the works, so that should shed more light on understanding the specifics of each species.

(I couldn't resist using that name for our protagonist, haha! And Zo seems to be gaining some popularity, he's definitely happy about that! As for Lucio's eating habits, you'll find out once you play the game, so please look forward to it! I was considering this concept while creating Chayton, but like Lucio and the others, you'll find out more about them soon!)
Wes (Crystal Compass)

ImageImage
ImageImage

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#4 Post by Zelan »

Which character interests you the most and why?: Probably a tie between Ramiel, for the same reasons that High listed, and Arjana, because I'm super interested in a romanceable character who already has a kid.
Who would you choose to romance first?: I usually pick the options sort of intuitively and don't aim for a specific character on my first playthrough. That said, if it's pretty obvious what route each choice is going to put me on, I'll probably pick the character that I'm most interested in.
What do you look forward to seeing in the game?: Tbh I really just want to save this business lmao, and figure out how exactly these four men are the key to doing that.

Was the demo ever released?

Yulia
Regular

#5 Post by Yulia »

Zelan wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:05 pm Which character interests you the most and why?: Probably a tie between Ramiel, for the same reasons that High listed, and Arjana, because I'm super interested in a romanceable character who already has a kid.
Who would you choose to romance first?: I usually pick the options sort of intuitively and don't aim for a specific character on my first playthrough. That said, if it's pretty obvious what route each choice is going to put me on, I'll probably pick the character that I'm most interested in.
What do you look forward to seeing in the game?: Tbh I really just want to save this business lmao, and figure out how exactly these four men are the key to doing that.

Was the demo ever released?
Hi Zelan, thank you for your interest and responses!

I'm happy to hear that you like the both of them, Ramiel and Arjana are my favorites as well! And of course, you'll find out how each love interest serves an important role to helping Ryuu as you play the game, I'm excited to see everyone's reaction!

The demo will be released some time next week if not the week after, the team is quite busy but we're doing our best to meet the deadline! I'll be updating this post as soon as the demo and itch.io page is out.
Wes (Crystal Compass)

ImageImage
ImageImage

Yulia
Regular

#6 Post by Yulia »

Hello, everyone! Thank you to everyone who has shown interest in Sweet as Magic!

The itch.io page is now up!

The release date for the demo will be on September 8th, so please look forward an announcement for that.

I'm very excited to announce that we will also have a trailer by KotoriWorks coming soon as well!
Wes (Crystal Compass)

ImageImage
ImageImage

High
Regular

#7 Post by High »

Looking forward to the Demo on Sunday.

Yulia
Regular

#8 Post by Yulia »

High wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:38 am Looking forward to the Demo on Sunday.
Thank you, High! We look forward to sharing it with everyone at last!
Wes (Crystal Compass)

ImageImage
ImageImage

Yulia
Regular

Re: [DEMO RELEASED] Sweet As Magic [BxB][Romance/Fantasy/Drama][Yaoi Jam 2019]

#9 Post by Yulia »

The demo for Sweet as Magic is finally here! Ryuu's pride and joy, The Wicked Wyvern, is finally opening its doors for the first time.

Download the game from the official Crystal Compass store page, and please leave your thoughts on the game in the comments thread or through our anonymous, QA testing form!

In the meantime, enjoy the amazing trailer the talented KotoriWorks made for the game!

We hope you enjoy the game, and we're looking forward to your feedback!

Feel free to follow us on Twitter for the latest updates on all of our games!
Wes (Crystal Compass)

ImageImage
ImageImage

High
Regular

#10 Post by High »

I wondered about the Demo when it didn't show up on Sunday. Anyway, I played it and I answered your Feedback Form. It was so extensive and I so through with it that I honestly can't think of anything to comment about the game I haven't already written on it. :shock:

IamJay

#11 Post by IamJay »

Looks great, congratulations!
I'm developing a browser-based VN engine, have you considered making your game available as a browser game as opposed to a downloadable app?
I would love to learn what game developers/publishers take in consideration when making those kinds of decisions.
Cheers.

Yulia
Regular

#12 Post by Yulia »

High wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:35 pm I wondered about the Demo when it didn't show up on Sunday. Anyway, I played it and I answered your Feedback Form. It was so extensive and I so through with it that I honestly can't think of anything to comment about the game I haven't already written on it. :shock:
Thank you for filling out the survey and playing the game, High!
Wes (Crystal Compass)

ImageImage
ImageImage

Yulia
Regular

#13 Post by Yulia »

IamJay wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:10 pm Looks great, congratulations!
I'm developing a browser-based VN engine, have you considered making your game available as a browser game as opposed to a downloadable app?
I would love to learn what game developers/publishers take in consideration when making those kinds of decisions.
Cheers.
Thank you! As for your inquiry, we have not considered doing so at this time.
Wes (Crystal Compass)

ImageImage
ImageImage