Of Sense and Soul [BxB] [Historical/Victorian, Slice of Life, Romance] In Development

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Ingthing
Projects: Of Sense and Soul (A Victorian M/M VN)
Organization: Forsythia Productions
itch: forsythiaproductions

Of Sense and Soul [BxB] [Historical/Victorian, Slice of Life, Romance] In Development

#1 Post by Ingthing »

Website | Blog | Twitter | Instagram | Discord Server (TBA)

Story

In an age before the clip-clop of horseshoes disappeared off the streets of England, before the tipping of hats and the wearing of corsets were written off as the tidings of yesteryear, there are stories which have been lost to time — stories of people, of lives, and of love.

Ours is just such a tale, centered on two men navigating the smog-covered streets of Victorian London: Hugo Brooks, an editorialist who never adventures far outside the written word, and Seamus Charkham, a confirmed bachelor who is determined to gulp life down right to the last drop.

Both are set in their ways, and both are in desperate need of a change, loath as they are to admit it. Despite wanting to believe they’re satisfied with continuing on as they have been, they find that sometimes, things can change for the better.

In the London of 1875, their stories — their lives — become intertwined, and together begin to bloom and unfold…

Overview

Of Sense and Soul is a M/M slice of life romance visual novel set in late-Victorian England that is driven by the character development of two protagonists.

The game will feature...
  • A robust Victorian England setting
  • 2 playable character routes with 6 total endings (subject to change)
  • Branching plot choices
  • Original, full-color artwork
  • Additional gameplay mechanics, including map choices, poem composition, and journaling choices.

Progress

The story for this game is currently being planned and written following a long research period.

We've also begun developing art assets for the game's demo. The watercolor-esque art style for the game has been solidified, and sprites, backgrounds, and GUI elements are in progress.

First background test

Second background test with sprite and placeholder text box on top, with variants for day and night.

If you're curious about the origins of this project and the progress we have made since 2016, when this project was born as a webcomic idea, you can read Devlog #0 here!

Team

Of Sense and Soul is a passion project created by akaparalian and ingthing.

Writing: akaparalian

Art/Writing: ingthing

Programming: loneshadow/sachiro

Let us know what you think below!

Follow @ofsenseandsoul on Twitter and Instagram for updates, fun facts, and development art!
Currently working on Of Sense and Soul, a M/M slice of life romance VN set in Late-Victorian England.
https://www.ofsenseandsoul.com/

FerventWriter
Regular
Tumblr: writingandmore

Re: Of Sense and Soul [BxB] [Historical/Victorian, Slice of Life, Romance] In Development

#2 Post by FerventWriter »

First off, I absolutely love Victorian era settings, so this already makes me really excited! You seem to have a really good sense of how to make it realistic as well, which is also great! Making it a M/M is an interesting choice as well-there's such a small amount of LGBT+ stories involving past eras, so I'm happy to see such a change of pace as well. Can't wait to see where this goes!

nerupuff
Veteran

Re: Of Sense and Soul [BxB] [Historical/Victorian, Slice of Life, Romance] In Development

#3 Post by nerupuff »

The art here looks so lovely! I can already see how much effort you've put into the visuals here and it has such a beautiful, stunning effect. I love the idea and the setting and the concept (I adore Historical genres).

And did you say other game mechanics? I'm so excited for that! Poem composition among all else you've mentioned looks to be quite interesting, and I wonder how you'll be able to pull it off. I'm wishing you the best of luck with this! ^^
ImageImage
Hire me for proofreading, editing, and (maybe) writing! ♡ Check here!

Ingthing

#4 Post by Ingthing »

FerventWriter wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:47 pm First off, I absolutely love Victorian era settings, so this already makes me really excited! You seem to have a really good sense of how to make it realistic as well, which is also great! Making it a M/M is an interesting choice as well-there's such a small amount of LGBT+ stories involving past eras, so I'm happy to see such a change of pace as well. Can't wait to see where this goes!
We're super excited too!

We've been pouring a lot of effort into researching and testing the tone for this game, so I'm glad that comes through in our post :D We actually will be doing research logs for many topics that are relevant to the world we're crafting-- the first one, about homosexuality in Mid-late-Victorian London, is up here!

Thank you for your interest! <3
Currently working on Of Sense and Soul, a M/M slice of life romance VN set in Late-Victorian England.

Ingthing

#5 Post by Ingthing »

nerupuff wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:33 am The art here looks so lovely! I can already see how much effort you've put into the visuals here and it has such a beautiful, stunning effect. I love the idea and the setting and the concept (I adore Historical genres).

And did you say other game mechanics? I'm so excited for that! Poem composition among all else you've mentioned looks to be quite interesting, and I wonder how you'll be able to pull it off. I'm wishing you the best of luck with this! ^^
Thank you, I poured my heart and soul into the visuals, and I hope to carry it throughout everything else we do with this project! I'm a big fan of historical genres too :)

It'll take a lot of finessing, but yes, poem composition is an exciting one! We already have a sort of framework in mind for it and how that affects the progression of the game, so once we have some content I want to put it into motion.

Thank you for your kind words!

illuminate001
Veteran
Completed: DSGR, Let's MEAT Adam, Sexy Litter, Bara Boarders
Projects: Secret Project
Organization: Soulsoft Electronic Arts
Tumblr: soulsoftea
itch: soulsoftea

#6 Post by illuminate001 »

As you know Ing, I've been quietly admiring your art from the within the BaraJam Discord and wanted to stop by and say I really enjoy your art style and sensibilities. Alot of BL content has darker themes, and it could just be the way you paint/color but I sense something really soft and sweet storywise.

Anyhow, just an FYI...I think at some point when you feel like OfSense&Soul is farther along, you should post a thread to "WIP" instead of "Ideas". Simply cause (and Im unsure why) but the Ideas subforum doesnt get as much love/attention as WIP. And your game needs to be seen, I demand it! lol
ImageImage
ImageImage

Ingthing

#7 Post by Ingthing »

illuminate001 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:51 am As you know Ing, I've been quietly admiring your art from the within the BaraJam Discord and wanted to stop by and say I really enjoy your art style and sensibilities. Alot of BL content has darker themes, and it could just be the way you paint/color but I sense something really soft and sweet storywise.

Anyhow, just an FYI...I think at some point when you feel like OfSense&Soul is farther along, you should post a thread to "WIP" instead of "Ideas". Simply cause (and Im unsure why) but the Ideas subforum doesnt get as much love/attention as WIP. And your game needs to be seen, I demand it! lol
Aw, thank you so much Soulsoft! (Is that how I should address you?)

OSAS is definitely intended to be softer and sweeter story-wise, and I'm glad that comes across from the art style! It's one of the reasons why I chose to go for watercolor-esque coloring. (It helps that my art style is physically incapable of not being soft, too.)

We will definitely make a thread in WIP at some point! Once we have some more production-ready assets and the demo is on the right track, I think. I noticed the Ideas subforum is pretty quiet but I hope to make some more updates here to bridge over our progress updates in the future and potentially gain more views.

I'll do my best to get us seen! Haha :D