I made a website full of creative commons resources

This section is for people to post assets that people can use in their games. Everything here should have a creative commons or other open license, or be in the public domain.
namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Template Maker for Ren'Py, What Life
Github: lunalucid
Soundcloud: LunaLucidMusic
itch: lunalucid

I made a website full of creative commons resources

#1 Post by namastaii »

Update: Thanks for everyone who has been submitting links on the site for me to add^^ Still need to add a lot of backgrounds but I've also started the sprites page and tools page. I need to redo the code recipe page and start adding more to that. And I'm going to restructure the items/props page but that is still usable - it just doesn't have a search function like the other pages do.

It is nowhere near done but while I'm working on it, you can still use what's available. (If you spot anything on here that shouldn't be, please let me know!)

The main site is https://visualnovel.studio

I've mostly been working on gathering as many backgrounds as I can find which you can find on this page: https://visualnovel.studio/Asset%20Cate ... ackgrounds

I have a long list of sites and artists to sift through to add to that gallery so don't worry, there will be more. I know Uncle Mugen's backgrounds aren't on the list - they will be. There's just so many of them, I plan on doing those all at once when I can.

Please let me know what you think of the site so far and maybe even some things you'd like to see.
I hope this helps you guys!

Also* On the main page, there is a list of assets/artists in a queue showing what I plan on adding but haven't put in yet. I have another unorganized list that's fairly unorganized so there may be artists I plan on looking at that aren't on the list - even so, if you have any good resources to add there is a link at the top of the site 'Submit Assets', it would be greatly appreciated^^
Last edited by namastaii on Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nerupuff
Veteran

Re: I made a website full of creative commons resources

#2 Post by nerupuff »

Amazing! This is such a huge task you're doing, thank you so much for putting in your time and effort for this.

Things I've noticed on the site: will the variations on the backgrounds category be clickable? Seems like they're just static text at the moment. To view the backgrounds on the site, you'd have to sign in via Google account on the display app you're using. Might give a heads up that this might not be extremely accessible to others, especially those who don't use or have a Google account, or those who don't particularly like using third party apps. I've noticed however that you can easily view "Items & Props" images in the aforementioned category just fine though.

Looks like there aren't any problems when viewed on mobile too.

So far, so good! I wish you the best of luck!
ImageImage
Hire me for proofreading, editing, and (maybe) writing! ♡ Check here!

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#3 Post by namastaii »

Thank you for telling me. I might be able to fix that sign in thing. There must be some privacy settings I didn't look at - I'll try to fix that now
as for the clickable variations - I could possibly do that but it might take a lot of work. Right now, it's just to tell you which ones actually have variations. I was thinking about making a gif of the ones with variations that show up when you hover over the image - again, that'll take a lot of work too if I do that. But for now it's just a little note.

Okay so the privacy settings for the items page is open. I'll make it the same for the backgrounds :)

***I believe I've fixed the privacy settings. If anyone could verify that no google log-in is required to see the gallery, that'd be great

edit: to your comment about the variations - I think I might look into making the symbols hoverable, once hovered, it'll preview the correct picture (thought I don't know when I'll do this and might not be simple with some since Kimagure's pictures have a lot of variations such as day, evening, night for snowy ones or spring time ones and some pictures just have a variation of having a few versions of the same picture (closed curtains, lights on/off) but I figured at least including these would be a good note and so I can also just display one image per background to make the page more usable)

15nick
Regular

#4 Post by 15nick »

It’s looks nice! It’s so kind of you to be spending your time doing this. Love the list of links to the different licenses as reminders of what each entails.

parttimestorier
Veteran
Completed: No Other Medicine, Well Met By Moonlight, RE:BURN, The Light at the End of the Ocean, Take A Hike!, Wizard School Woes
Projects: Seeds of Dreams
itch: janetitor

#5 Post by parttimestorier »

This looks great so far! I'll have to go through some of my personal lists of my favourite resources and submit them in case you haven't seen them. It seems like it will be a really helpful resource once it's all set up. :D
ImageImageImage

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#6 Post by namastaii »

Thanks guys^^ :)

Elsa Kisiel
Regular
Completed: Shieldlock Holmes
Projects: Home Spatial Home

#7 Post by Elsa Kisiel »

Oh, it's so wonderful! The site is really easy to use (with filtrer, and all), and I've always wanted something like this where you can see everything easily.

I'm looking forward seeing it when it will be finished.

(By the way, it would be really nice if the search button allowed to search for the artist too. Like, if I use a sprite from one artist and want to know what other ressources from they are on the site?)
Illustrator • Commission open: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=59346 • My portfolio: https://elsakisiel.artstation.com/

Take a cup of tea and let yourself be charmed by my stories and my drawings. Here, everything is bewitched and bewitching!

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#8 Post by namastaii »

I really felt finding resources was challenging so I was hoping to create something easy like you said. I'm glad you like it^^

nerupuff
Veteran

#9 Post by nerupuff »

Hey, it finally works without the sign-in! Awesome job at doing this. I can already see this being a super-duper useful resource for everyone, particularly those who are new to VN dev and looking for a one-stop place for resources. The best part is that these things redirect to the original owners/sources, so everything's spick and span and safe.

The hover idea for BG variations sounds good! I still think a majority of users will use desktop to view the site, but maybe it will also be viewed on mobile especially if some people just want a quick reference to view items, so I'm not sure how hover will work for phone browsers. In any case, no problems at the moment when you compare the website PC screen view vs mobile browser view. No wonky size inconsistencies. Thank you so much!
ImageImage
Hire me for proofreading, editing, and (maybe) writing! ♡ Check here!

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#10 Post by namastaii »

Really? I was going to assume it would not be mobile friendly in the slightest. I'm glad to hear it. And exactly. The assets will always be directly linked to the source. I have found some nice background photos that people said were creative commons but I couldn't see anywhere on the artists page that says they are so I don't touch them if i don't have some kind of verification. There is one artists work I put up here and put "requires verification" because I've seen a lot of people use his backgrounds but it doesn't say on his work that we can so since so many people have used it, I put it up for now but it's up to people to do that research if needed. I don't want to encourage copyright infringes or anything.

Game2Late
Projects: Personal project underway...

#11 Post by Game2Late »

Hi, I just wanted to say that this looks really nice and I'm sure it'll be useful to plenty of people. Let us know how we can hep you get word around. Thank you!

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#12 Post by namastaii »

Thanks!
also Thanks for everyone who has been submitting links on the site for me to add^^ Still need to add a lot of backgrounds but I've also started the sprites page and tools page. I need to redo the code recipe page and start adding more to that. And I'm going to restructure the items/props page but that is still usable - it just doesn't have a search function like the other pages do.

dragondatingsim
Regular
Tumblr: angelswithscalywings

#13 Post by dragondatingsim »

Great site!
Are you considering order options? For example, I'd find it very useful to order the backgrounds by creator to find all the pages of the artists.

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#14 Post by namastaii »

Yeah I'm still working on stuff like that and I was creating individual pages for artists that have a lot of work so it's all easy to find but I still haven't decided if I want to keep that route or not. But I can look at that sorting. What you can do as well is type the artist's name in the search box and everything from them will display

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#15 Post by namastaii »

You can now select the artist from a drop down list