The Star Legation [Sci-fi][Adventure][Romance][Space Opera][Dramedy][Mystery]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo.
Chimaera9
Completed: Solar Echoes (Tabletop RPG)
Projects: The Star Legation (Scifi Visualnovel)

The Star Legation [Sci-fi][Adventure][Romance][Space Opera][Dramedy][Mystery]

#1 Post by Chimaera9 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:04 pm

Hello Everyone!

I'm Andy Mitchell, the writer and designer of the Solar Echoes RPG and the owner of Corefun Studios, LLC.
I'm excited to announce that I've been working on my first visual novel, The Star Legation!

Genre: Sci-Fi Space Opera, Adventure, Romance, Dramedy, Mystery

The Story
The Star Legation is a Sci-Fi Visual Novel game set during the pre-history of the Solar Echoes universe. You don't need any knowledge of Solar Echoes to enjoy the game, but you might notice some “easter eggs” if you're familiar. The story begins...

Only a few generations have passed since the discovery of Faster-Than-Light speed travel. FTL has transformed the universe, and several alien races have realized they are not alone. Some have managed to peacefully interact and begin a tenuous trade relationship. Others, however, have become locked in bitter wars.

The need for the Interstellar Union (ISU) was first realized by the Humans and Reln, though the Reln still claim it was their idea. It was agreed that all the known races should be included in the ISU. But who would answer the call to represent their species and extend an invitation to the others?

You, the player of the Human protagonist Trey Donovan, will need to make many crucial decisions during this sensitive mission. Success will result in the formation of the Instellar Union--a peaceful alliance among all the known races that will promote trade and cultural exchange. Failure, however, could mean your death, the end of the ISU before it ever begins, or even a massive interstellar war.

Choose your words carefully and consider every decision you make. The gift of FTL could be a blessing towards a prosperous future among the stars. Or, it could become a curse that swiftly delivers the threat of alien annihilation to your people.

Characters
Trey PortraitFULL2.png
Sarah PortraitFULL2.png
Daeon PortraitFULL2.png
Iyalen PortraitFULL2.png
Kaori PortraitFULL2.png
Oasu PortraitFULL2.png
Kitheya PortraitFULL.png
ChiraktisFULL.png
Archaeloid PortraitFULL.png

Game Features
The Star Legation is a Sci-Fi Visual Novel game full of intriguing alien characters, bizarre foreign cultures, and interstellar conflict. Navigate the complex personalities of your alien crew, negotiate with alien leaders, do battle if necessary, and even risk romance across the stars! Shape and experience your own fate!
Complex Branching Storylines
Your decisions affect what happens! Some choices can mean life or death, and others can subtly influence a relationship that might affect your situation later in the game. There are multiple paths to success and failure!

An Expressive Cast of Characters!
Each character has a range of emotional expressions as they react during conversations. However, some alien characters are easier to read than others! Get to know each character so you can manage your starship crew. You never know how each relationship might affect the story!

Stand Before Alien Leaders
This is a diplomatic mission, but that doesn’t mean everyone will be agreeable. Know when it’s appropriate to use your clever wit, an aggressive tone, or a conciliatory approach. The fate of your species might depend on it. No pressure!

Adventure Across a Dangerous Universe
The Star Legation will take you to mysterious alien planets, powerful interstellar anomalies, and even throw you into deadly starship battles. A rare fight might even erupt in your own starship, if you get boarded!

Can Long Distance in Space Really Work?
Two different human women will be in contact with you during your journey. You can keep it totally professional if you choose, but…it gets lonely being the only human among an alien crew! Multiple endings depend on your conversation choices.

Easter Eggs for Solar Echoes Fans!
Gamers familiar with the Solar Echoes tabletop RPG may discover some insider references in the visual novel and hidden meanings in the artwork!

Role-Playing Game Elements
Determine your abilities at the beginning of the game and trigger different route options during the story! Experience a range of dilemmas and face decisions that involve your particular set of skills.

Decision-based Battle Systems
Starship battles and personal combat are both conducted using a visual novel inspired choice system which blends with the flow of the game without removing you from it. No random chance or reflex skills are involved—just your tactical choices!

Original Music!
Discover the music of composer Andy Mitchell, including adaptations of his unique compositions as well as original music composed specifically for this science fiction space opera!

Screenshots
KoturScreenshot.png
ScreenshotMPC.png
CGTreySarahSm.png
RelnLandingScreenshot.png
ScreenshotKStarship.png
StarmapWebpage.png

The Team
Story Design and Programming: by Andy Mitchell
Character Sprite Artwork: by John Fell and Aeghite
Starship Interior Background Artwork: by Alexis Rill and Aeghite
Starships, Space Backgrounds, and Planet Backgrounds: by Lee Madison
CG's: by Aeghite
Graphical User Interface: by John Fell
Music: by Andy Mitchell

Links
Visual Novel Webpage: https://www.starlegation.com/
Tabletop RPG Webpage: http://www.solarechoes.com/
Solar Echoes Video Comic on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y29Hjfkm39g
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SolarEchoesRPG
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/solarechoesrpg/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SolarEchoesRPG

Progress
ProgressReport4.png

Questions for Forum Readers

What about this game interests you most? What doesn't interest you?
What's your impression of the game so far?
What do you think of the characters? Any favorites?
Since the game is based on the Solar Echoes RPG game universe, does that make you more or less interested in playing it?
Any other comments, questions, or feedback?

steve_T
Regular

Re: The Star Legation [Sci-fi][Adventure][Romance][Space Opera][Dramedy][Mystery]

#2 Post by steve_T » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:12 pm

What about this game interests you most? What doesn't interest you?
SCI-FI I'm a sucker for scifi games

What's your impression of the game so far?
It looks very professional

What do you think of the characters? Any favorites?
it's too early to say I'd have to play to find out

Since the game is based on the Solar Echoes RPG game universe, does that make you more or less interested in playing it?
Never heard of the Solar Echoes universe

Any other comments, questions, or feedback?
I think I'll be subscribing for updates.

Chimaera9

Re: The Star Legation [Sci-fi][Adventure][Romance][Space Opera][Dramedy][Mystery]

#3 Post by Chimaera9 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:46 pm

Thanks so much for your responses! I'm glad you think it looks professional--that means a lot to me, since I'm doing this myself with the help of some excellent artists.
Thanks for your interest! I'll try to keep things updated here, too.
If you want to familiarize yourself with the Solar Echoes universe, check out some of those links (the Solar Echoes webpage, and the youtube video)
-Andy

Chimaera9

#4 Post by Chimaera9 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:07 pm

A few new updates!
The talented artist, Aeghite, is now at work on the final CG that you'll earn if you survive to the end of the game! It's looking amazing--she's really going all out for an incredible piece of art!

I've successfully completed preparations for 3 of the 9 main character sprites--the 3 human characters. They had the greatest range of expressions, but I've sized and prepped all their art so they are ready for use when I start working on the demo. There is a HUGE range of expressions for the human characters, especially the protagonist! If you'd like some insider details, subscribe for my monthly insider email here:
https://solarechoes.us20.list-manage.co ... 75f74ec003

A quick question for everyone regarding the demo:
I'm thinking about having some choices greyed-out so you can see them but not select them. You'll be able to make a few choices in the demo, but you'll end up with one route at the conclusion of the demo. What do you think?

FerventWriter
Tumblr: writingandmore

#5 Post by FerventWriter » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:34 pm

I think having one concise route at the end of the demo is a good idea! It gives everyone the same experience, which is important if you want feedback on the same bits of game. I look forward to trying it out :)

Chimaera9

#6 Post by Chimaera9 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:14 am

Thanks for your thoughts, FerventWriter!
Good point about it being useful giving everyone the same experience for feedback. That will definitely help me with the development process.
I'm glad you're looking forward to trying it--knowing that makes me even more excited to put it all together for everyone!

Chimaera9

#7 Post by Chimaera9 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:37 pm

The next insider update goes out tonight!

Sign up so you won't miss insider info and game developer tricks and how to inexpensively generate tons of character expressions!
Discover the method I used to enable the creation of 100's of expressions without having to commission each one individually!

SUBSCRIBE HERE:
SubscribeExpressionsAd.png

Chimaera9

#8 Post by Chimaera9 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:30 pm

A brief update: It's been 2 weeks since I started programming in earnest, and I now have the intro sequence, the opening (scene 1), and most of the second scene finished, including animated sequences, sound effects, expressions, and music. The opening scene also has some cool RPG elements where you make choices about your character's skills, which have an effect on the story (you can get the best ending whatever you choose, but the story does have different parts depending on what you pick!)

It's moving along! I'm not sure how well I'll be able to keep my target pace of 1 chapter per week, but I can guarantee that the demo (first 3 to 5 chapters) will definitely be ready before spring. Keep in mind, this project has 35 total chapters, plus several additional battle sequences that I'm not counting as chapters.

My goal: have it completed by this time next year!
Kickstarter will run late winter, early spring, so keep your eyes open for announcements. If you want to be one of the first to know when it launches so you can get some of the high-tier limited backer awards, sign up for the monthly insider email here:

Here's a quick screenshot of our protagonist getting a starship tour:
Attachments
CargoBayScreenshotsm.png

Chimaera9

#9 Post by Chimaera9 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:50 pm

A new video preview is available, including a few screenshots with short clips of some of the music I wrote for the upcoming Star Legation visual novel!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5dUV1T ... e=youtu.be
Attachments
StarLegationMusic.png