After-Party Chemistry [dating sim][otome] NEW 2019 DEMO OUT

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
xxmissarichanxx
Regular
Completed: Froot Basket Valentine, Devious
Projects: After-Party Chemistry, The Salaryman
Tumblr: xxmissarichanxx
Deviantart: xxmissarichanxx
itch: xxmissarichanxx

Re: After-Party Chemistry [stat raise][trivia][slice of life

#46 Post by xxmissarichanxx »

Ollo!

So March is over and April is here, and I said I wanted to have a demo out by the end of March... That was a very ambitious goal for me... Unfortunately, I wasn't able to achieve it. I'm sorry friends.. I don't have enough assets for a decent demo, and I don't want to post anything here without having something good to show...

Instead, I'll tell you my plans. C:
There's about one more month left of school so I'll focus on school and work on the project in my spare time as I have been doing. Here are some short-term goals I have for myself because I think goal setting will keep me on task:

Short term goal 1: Finish all main character sprites for a demo
- I want to at least have the main characters' facial expressions done. I'll save alternate outfits for later.

Short term goal 2: Finish all backgrounds for a demo
- The making of this game has really challenged me to practice drawing backgrounds. I'm still not very good at it since I rely heavily on tracing 3d models I make on online model-sites.... For outdoor backgrounds, I've had to put a lot of thought into layouts and things like that. I mean, wow.. A lot goes into making this stuff! Kudos to those of you who have self-published a game by making all the art assets yourself! Cx

Short term goal 3: Finish all planned CGs for a demo
- I have 3 planned CGs for the demo, and I'm still deciding whether painting or cell-shaded CGs would be better. Please let me know what you think and which you prefer! C:

Short term goal 4: Finish writing the "Lessons" portion for a demo
- I've planned this feature from the start of this project, and back then chemistry was very fresh on my mind. Now however, it's been a long time since I've touched general chemistry, so I'm saving this for last. When I have achieved my first 3 goals, I'll probably make a post about recruiting some proofreaders for the chemistry lessons because I want the information to be accurate. For the demo, the planned topics will be Periodicity, Stoichiometry, and Spectroscopy. If you know anyone who'd be willing to proofread chemistry scripts, please let me know!

As I complete each goal in this checklist, I'll update you appropriately!

For now, I'd appreciate some feedback on the following:
1) Which CG art style is more preferable? Painted or cell-shaded? (don't worry about the time it'll take me to draw them! i'm going for quality!)
2) Would you or someone you know be interested in proofreading the chemistry lessons and trivia for this game? (you don't have to be a certified chemistry teacher or something.. i just want accurate information and i'd like a second opinion on the writing for the lessons. think of it like reading a story script, except the "script" will be science-based and its focus will be to teach something.)

Thank you to all of you who follow this project, and thank you so much for reading this far!

I'll do my best to be more active in my updates!
Also, if you're interested in more updates more often, I make a post on my tumblr before I make a post here and I also share more progress sketches there too.

xxmissarichanxx
Regular

Re: After-Party Chemistry [stat raise][trivia][slice of life

#47 Post by xxmissarichanxx »

Hello!

It will soon be exactly 1 month since I've last updated this, and I have been working on the goals I've set for myself, so progress is being made!

I have completed Sidney's sprite and expressions, and now I am working on Basil and Mr. K. I think Sidney is my most expressive character... I just have so many faces I'd like to use for him, hahahaa...

Between the art assets I've been doing my best to make the writing concise, clear, but going to a good pace.
Hopefully I can get a demo out soon so I can get some feedback on the pacing.

Also, I was getting tired of staring at the sprite art all day so I wanted to do something different. Here's a progress shot. I might just color all the CGs like this instead of painting because I think it'll have nice effects and stuff that I don't quite know how to do with painting.

I'm ded because I really want to reveal Mr. K.'s eyes, but I'm afraid it might take away from his appeal if I just reveal his full face to you. I think it'd be more exciting if you play his route to see his full face. But let me know what you guys think. C':

Finals Week is in 2 weeks, so I'll be studying more this coming week and working less on the game... Thank you for understanding.

Well, that's all I can say for now. There's a lot I've done that I'd really like to show you, but I'll save it for when I release the first demo.

Thank you for reading this far!

Oh yeah! New logo:

xxmissarichanxx
Regular

Re: After-Party Chemistry [date sim, otome, trivia] A DEMO O

#48 Post by xxmissarichanxx »

Oh, hello!

The demo is missing a few images and some are sketches... but I figure, what have I got to lose? Hopefully this way I can get some major feedback as I continue to make progress on this project.
Some changes I've made: Basil got a makeover. Ahahaha... And I've also adjusted some of the sprites a bit.

I'd really appreciate some feedback so I can make some improvements. Thank you so much!

xKiseki
Tumblr: xseokjined

Re: After-Party Chemistry [date sim, otome, trivia] DEMO OUT

#49 Post by xKiseki »

I actually played the demo as soon as you released it but never got around to giving you feedback until now... should've been faster because i'M SO IN LOVE WITH THIS GAME HONESTLY
i really like your game concept and just everything about it, it's really unique! i'm really glad you made mr k romanceable because even though i don't normally romance teachers, mr k is such a hilarious character and i'd be really interested in romancing him!
the game is really witty and i was laughing out loud for a lot of the game, much to the displeasure of my family whoopsies
THAT OPENING SCENE THOUGH it got me hooked immediately! the after-party scene had me hook, line and sinker. i have so many questions about it and the thought of getting the answers makes me so much more excited for the release of the full game

okay so now for the questions
1) What do you think about the story/premise? Would you want to play it?
ahahah i think i've already answered that above but i'll quickly recap: it's really unique and i'm really interested in playing the full game. the chemistry lessons are written really well, they're easy to understand and they actually helped me at school ahahaha they're a bit long, but that may have been because i was taking notes as i was going along

2) Which character seems most interesting? Who's your favorite so far?
aghguegh how could you ask this question? they're all so interesting! i think marina herself is probably my favourite AHAHAH she's really strong and relatable and also hilarious! she's the type of protagonist i don't see very often in games and would definitely like to see more of. besides marina, i think sidney would be my favourite. he's quite... forward, but i also find him really cute, like in an adorable kind of way. his little jokes/pointers in the chemistry lesson were so bad but i couldn't help but to smile at them. i actually don't really know why i like sidney that much, i just find him really loveable. i really liked the cafeteria scene with him, and it made me really interested in playing sidney's route in future

3) What do you think of Marina? Can you relate to her? Would you want to play as her?
whoops i did it again answered a question with an answer above. i would love to play as marina!

4) What would you like to see from this game? What expectations do you have?
the only thing i'm expecting from this game is a really big plot twist somewhere. the story at the moment is great, and marina's life has already pretty much been thrown upside down but because you, as a player, haven't played as marina when she was playing water polo and haven't really seen how much she loves it, it's not a really big event to you. i feel like some plot twist somewhere would make the game even more interesting.

5) How do you feel about chemistry?
i prefer biology but chemistry's fun too :)

6) What do you think of the current character designs/art direction?
it's actually so beautiful, i'm in love with it! it's really unique, bright and colourful, and your rendering is done really nicely. i think your makeover on basil was a good choice, his new hairstyle suits his character a lot better. in fact, i think all of your current sprites are much better than their concept / initial versions, your art has definitely improved since then. your bgs, cgs and gui suit your game concept as well, and your gui has improved a lot from what you had originally. it's no longer jarringly bright, but still fits with the theme of the game very well. the only thing i'd have to say is that the main menu image is kind of empty? i kind of just stared at the pool for some time just like "i feel like this is... missing something"

7) Any other thoughts, comments, or concerns?
i don't mean to rush you but i can't wait aaaaaa you've thought of a brilliant game concept and your actual game has been written beautifully. you've chosen your soundtracks really well too, they really suit the game. i feel like every time i hear songs similar to the ones used in your game i'll think of it now ahahahaha just want to say keep up the good work, i'll be sure to follow your game from now on :))
also sorry for the long post i didn't mean for it to be this long orz

kistnerelizabeth
Regular

#50 Post by kistnerelizabeth »

This looks like a lot of fun! I love the premise behind it. Comedy games are awesome. I'm totally gonna download the demo and play it when I can. :)

xxmissarichanxx
Regular

#51 Post by xxmissarichanxx »

kistnerelizabeth wrote:This looks like a lot of fun! I love the premise behind it. Comedy games are awesome. I'm totally gonna download the demo and play it when I can. :)
Thank you! I hope you enjoy the demo~
xKiseki wrote:the only thing i'd have to say is that the main menu image is kind of empty? i kind of just stared at the pool for some time just like "i feel like this is... missing something"
Firstly, thank you so much for your review of the demo! I'm glad you love the characters and the story, and I'm especially glad the chemistry lesson was helpful!

I quoted you above because for the main menu, I was planning on having Marina sit in the chair and then as you complete routes the guys will join you at the table.. AHAHAHA, i'm excited to draw it.
xKiseki wrote:the only thing i'm expecting from this game is a really big plot twist somewhere. the story at the moment is great, and marina's life has already pretty much been thrown upside down but because you, as a player, haven't played as marina when she was playing water polo and haven't really seen how much she loves it, it's not a really big event to you. i feel like some plot twist somewhere would make the game even more interesting.
Also, thank you for pointing that out! I wouldn't have thought of this as a player. I'll keep this in mind as I continue making the game.

Your feedback has been very helpful! Don't worry about it being too long; the more you have to say, the better! I really appreciate that you took the time to answer all the questions and also play through the game! I'll do my best to get this out in a timely fashion! C: Thank you again for your support Cx

xxmissarichanxx
Regular

#52 Post by xxmissarichanxx »

Ollo!

I've already updated the devlog on itch.io and a put a dump on my tumblr... I'll also update here!

Thanks to all who downloaded and played the demo, and also, thank you for your feedback!

I've been working on sprites, backgrounds, and other assets throughout June.
Here's a few things I was able to finish over the past month!
Sidney with a few of his teammates!
Sidney with a few of his teammates!
Almost done rendering Kelsi!
Almost done rendering Kelsi!
8AMxaP.png
mJrrry.png
I've also added...
  • A fully functional music room where you can scroll through a list of songs
    A fully functional CG gallery with different pages for each romance option
    A replay gallery where you can unlock different lectures
    A progress menu so you can see how much of the game you’ve completed
And I’ve made the following changes to the script:
  • Completely changed the quiz, so now you get a randomized set of questions and answers with each playthrough
    Updated some information for the “Periodicity” lesson seen in the demo
    Made it so you can jump back to different portions of the lesson instead of skipping through to find what you want to review…
I'm having trouble with once feature: You see how the count of music tracks and lessons unlocked is equal to 0 in the screenshots? Well, I'm not sure how to code it so that it will actually count how many you've unlocked. If you could point me in the right direction, that'd be much appreciated! I might make a post about it later if I don't get a response here...

Anyway, I'll be working hard to get a final demo out to you all before the end of my summer! Then I'll work on Sidney, Basil, and Mr.K.'s routes in that order~

Thanks so much for your support and for following APC!'s development! C:

xxmissarichanxx
Regular

Re: After-Party Chemistry [date sim, otome, trivia] DEMO OUT!

#53 Post by xxmissarichanxx »

Ollo~

It has been quite some time since I last updated this thread...
If any of you follow me on itch.io or tumblr, then you've already seen this update, but i'll post it here as well.

I had planned to release an updated demo by the end of 2017, but I was unable to do so.

Last semester of school was much harder than expected and it really required a lot of my time. This semester will be no different. I'm going to officially say that I'll be on a hiatus because my highest priority right now is school. I'm literally on the verge of completing my degree, but it will take a grueling year and a half. If you can bear with me and are still interested in this project, thank you so much for your support! I appreciate it a lot, truly!

What does this mean for After-Party Chemistry?

Well, I won't give up on this project! For a long time, it's been my dream to release a visual novel with my own original characters and story and I intend to do so!

So to all of you who take the time to check in every now and then, thank you so much! If I have any major changes, of course, I'll be sure to update you~

In the mean time, I've included some of the work I was able to complete. Sprite work! APC!'s cast is huge! This is just a sneak peak... Who are all these people? Which of the silhouettes looks the most interesting? Can you guess their personalities based on their poses? There are so many questions!

APC Cast Part1.jpg
APC Cast Part2.jpg
APC Cast Part3.jpg
Until the next update! Enjoy~

xxmissarichanxx
Regular

Re: After-Party Chemistry [dating sim][otome] DEMO OUT!

#54 Post by xxmissarichanxx »

So excited to announce that After-Party Chemistry now has an extended demo! Most sprites are finalized and have been implemented. All the assets for the common route are finished!

The first page has been updated to reflect all the changes that have been made, but you can also check out those changes below!
Or jump right to the page on Itch to download and play.

---

Marina is a second-semester senior who is struggling in AP Chemistry! The dean suspended her from the water polo team until she can raise her grade. How will she change her study habits? Whom will she seek help from? Her chemistry teacher? The class T.A.? A study buddy? Will she be able to raise her grade in time for the Championships? Or will she be spending time wooing her tutor?

After-Party Chemistry (APC) is an educational visual novel/otome game made entirely for fun. It features chemistry trivia and helpful notes about the subject of chemistry presented in a fun, bright, and colorful story.

Play as Marina*, a Filipina-American high school athlete whose athletic career is threatened by poor academics. Help her find a tutor who will make things right and change her fate. Choose between the cheerful playboy, Sidney; the sarcastic jerkface, Basil; or the kind-hearted chemistry teacher, Mr. Kagaku. Relive the nightmare that is chemistry, but appreciate the knowledge you've gained and the trials you've overcome. Please enjoy After-Party Chemistry!

Demo v.2.0
- Custom protagonist name -
- 3 romanceable characters -
- 10+ side characters which differ per route -
- Original background art -
- Educational lessons + Replay gallery -
- Chemistry trivia quiz -
- Music gallery -

Disclaimer!!
All facts and trivia related to chemistry are from the developer's own notes/knowledge and are supplemented by fact-checks from web browsers. This game is not meant to substitute your own chemistry notes, lectures, or study time, and should not be used to study/cram for real-life chemistry tests like the AP Exam.

Furthermore, this is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places, and events are products of the developer's imagination or are used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to persons, alive or dead, or to actual events is purely coincidental.

The developer recommends players and viewers be at least 15 years or older due to mild language and suggestive themes, including teacher x student romance.

IamJay

Re: After-Party Chemistry [dating sim][otome] NEW 2019 DEMO OUT

#55 Post by IamJay »

Love the artwork, congratulations!
I'm developing a browser-based VN engine, have you considered making your game available as a browser game?
What made you decide to publish it as a downloadable app instead?
Cheers.
- Jay

xxmissarichanxx
Regular

#56 Post by xxmissarichanxx »

IamJay wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:51 pm Love the artwork, congratulations!
I'm developing a browser-based VN engine, have you considered making your game available as a browser game?
What made you decide to publish it as a downloadable app instead?
Cheers.
- Jay
Hey Jay! Thanks so much! I have considered making my games available as browser games, but I don't really know how to do that. I know Ren'Py has a browser thing on Beta. I haven't tested it out yet. Also, not sure where I could host my browser games. I know Itch would allow me to do that, but again, not totally sure how I get there. Making it downloadable just seemed like the simplest thing to do at the time, plus I like the idea that people could "own" a copy of the game. That being said, if I could make it available as a browser game for free with little to no bugs, I would be down. I'd like to make my games as accessible as I can!

Thanks for the question! C:

xxmissarichanxx
Regular

#57 Post by xxmissarichanxx »

Just dropping by to say I made a thread in the "Demo and Beta Testing" section as it seems that's more appropriate for where the game is in terms of development. Also, the game is also on GameJolt now. C:

ALSO AVAILABLE ON GAMEJOLT

Thanks so much guys! :'DD

Unicorn_Magic
Regular

#58 Post by Unicorn_Magic »

Hi there! I just played through the demo, and it's really impressive! The art is really pretty, and the gameplay is fun. I was kinda wondering, is it default for the MC to like Mr. K?
The chemistry problems were a bit difficult for me lol (I've always been bad at it), but I had fun trying to understand the lectures, so props to you for that!
Looking forward to the finished game, all the best!

xxmissarichanxx
Regular

#59 Post by xxmissarichanxx »

Unicorn_Magic wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:10 pm Hi there! I just played through the demo, and it's really impressive! The art is really pretty, and the gameplay is fun. I was kinda wondering, is it default for the MC to like Mr. K?
The chemistry problems were a bit difficult for me lol (I've always been bad at it), but I had fun trying to understand the lectures, so props to you for that!
Looking forward to the finished game, all the best!
Hello~ Thank you so much!! To answer your question, yes. MC likes Mr. K. by default and that fact will be a conflict in either of the other boy's routes. She'll definitely start falling for whichever love interest you choose though!

As for the chem problems, I'm glad they were a challenge! I'm pretty bad at chemistry myself, so you're definitely not alone!

Thank you again! I'll do my best to put together a fun story~ Cx

EDIT:

Also, to avoid double-posting, I'll drop a general update here as well! I've got other projects to work on before I can start working on the full version of APC, but I'll get to work on Sidney's route in November! I'll do my best to post monthly updates too. I've been practicing drawing my OCs the past week since it's been a while since I drew them. What a weird notion... practicing drawing your OCs.. lol...

To stay super up to date on development, follow me on Tumblr, Twitter, or Itch! I'll be using the devlogs feature.

Thank you so much guys!