I'm new, sorry, but...

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
MrCat

I'm new, sorry, but...

#1 Post by MrCat »

Folks, I'm new and know this a forum for folk who know what they're doing but I'm just working through some YT tutorials just now. One thing I discovered is that the dude kept saying put "pause" between everything to allow a user to click next. Doesn't work for me, I just put everything dialoge wise on a new line and that works fine or I just end up with a black text box between dialogues... Fine I figured that one out but am wondering if that's something to do with code indentation and structure or not, am I missing something?

I read a fabulous quote the other day something along the lines of (and whilst searching for game creation software);
"Here's some great tools, but by ... it's a lot of work, once you really get in to it and get started you'll wonder how games get created at all."

Much like everything and I'm sorely resting asking stupid questions here without reading up but I'm curious on this one, is it a RenPy version thing or whatnot?

isobellesophia
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: None
Projects: Maddox and Friends! (AI Teacher friend), Friendly Universities! (Soon)
Organization: Friendly Teachers series
Deviantart: SophBelle
itch: Child Creation

Re: I'm new, sorry, but...

#2 Post by isobellesophia »

Can you show the code? So that they'll understand your problem.
I am a friendly user, please respect and have a good day.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#3 Post by Imperf3kt »

MrCat wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:30 pm Folks, I'm new and know this a forum for folk who know what they're doing
Everyone is welcome here, even people with no programming knowledge at all.
Except spambots, they're not welcome anywhere.

Regarding why to use pause, how old is the video? Renpy is continually updated and many YouTube tutorials become obsolete within months of being uploaded. It's why I prefer the documentation (plus I dislike videos in general for this sort of thing anyway)

A pause is not necessary for each dialogue block, as you've noticed, just place the next line of dialogue on a new line at the same indentation as the last.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

isobellesophia
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Maddox and Friends! (AI Teacher friend), Friendly Universities! (Soon)

#4 Post by isobellesophia »

Oh, and yes, Imperf3kt is right at one thing, Renpy on youtube is most i hate, just because their explanation is never done, (which is i know what is right of the simple codes on them. Obviously wrong.)

Just trust RenPy's documentation, that'll help you from the very start. Or maybe, dislike Youtube, that person may trying to put you in a wrong guide, especially when you are very far from the tutorial.

GNVE
Regular
Completed: ShSt - Bad Day
Projects: ShSt - Afterparty, Collings University
itch: https://gnve.itch.io

#5 Post by GNVE »

We all have to start somewhere. So there are few true stupid questions (even if you feel stupid for asking them :) )

I don't know exactly what you're doing without a sample of your code but here's how you can use the pause function without the text background:

Code: Select all

label some_label:
	scene image-1
	writer "I'm the writer let me show you something" #Regular text
	window hide #hides the textbox

scene image-2
	pause

scene image-3
	pause

scene image-4
	window show #shows text box again
	writer "Did you enjoy?"
	writer "Now go..."
It works the same if you are using the show command for your images by the way. Hope this answered your question :D

MrCat

#6 Post by MrCat »

Wow thanks folks, :D I feel welcomed. Yep I think I've figured it out for now but that helps a lot, and I will be posting code next time :)

Cheers.

MrCat

#7 Post by MrCat »

isobellesophia wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:41 pm Oh, and yes, Imperf3kt is right at one thing, Renpy on youtube is most i hate, just because their explanation is never done, (which is i know what is right of the simple codes on them. Obviously wrong.)

Just trust RenPy's documentation, that'll help you from the very start. Or maybe, dislike Youtube, that person may trying to put you in a wrong guide, especially when you are very far from the tutorial.
Hahaha, Love you, well said.

isobellesophia
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by isobellesophia »

Might as well learn in the documentations if you dont mind, Youtube RenPy tutorials are confusing.

Ibitz
Regular
Projects: Magical Disarray (WIP)
Organization: Ibitz Visual Novels
Deviantart: http://ibitz.deviant
itch: ibitz

#9 Post by Ibitz »

What Isobellesophia said is totally true. I tried learning to code/use Ren'Py through YT and it was ridiculously hard. Plus, a lot of people who make tutorial videos just basically seem to do stuff without actually explaining it and they go quick and it's just.. bleh.
Welcome to the forums! And, no need to feel bad about asking questions. There are no stupid questions. :)

Ibitz is a self-taught coder/artist who works alone on their games. All games I create are freeware. If you need any help with coding or creating your game, just let me know. I'd be more than happy to help.

isobellesophia
Miko-Class Veteran

#10 Post by isobellesophia »

Especially the people who narrates, they just point it that out that it was outdated, angry people were just stay in the comments until the person who make a tutorial replies, which is those people who wait until they give up.