very general but fondamental question about how manage and schematize a game

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
deltadidirac
Regular
Projects: Artworks and Comics
Tumblr: deltadidirac
Deviantart: Deltadidirac67

very general but fondamental question about how manage and schematize a game

#1 Post by deltadidirac »

Hi all

I know that everyone have his mind and his mental organizazion and visualization about anything; but I would anyway ask to the programmers that doing this for work or from years... (I'm talking about build and programming a renpy game).

Is there a general "way" or "style" on how manage and schematize the game in his story and his paths that depends on how the values of the variables will change?

Personally, I built several xls sheets (almost 20-30) and everyone have datas, schemes, or others informations that could be linked or not; but in all this I don't follow a real logic or scheme, simply I created this sheets for my personal use and memory, so very randomly...

On contrary, is there any general styl I can follow to create these sheets in a much ordinated and useful way?

sorry for my english and
thanks to all

GNVE
Regular
Completed: ShSt - Bad Day
Projects: ShSt - Afterparty, Collings University
itch: https://gnve.itch.io

Re: very general but fondamental question about how manage and schematize a game

#2 Post by GNVE »

I'd like an answer to this one. I currently use flow charts (draw.io) and mindmaps to organize my story lines, game components and projects in general. But nothing has felt like it is quite what I needed.

deltadidirac
Regular

Re: very general but fondamental question about how manage and schematize a game

#3 Post by deltadidirac »

GNVE wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:41 pm I'd like an answer to this one. I currently use flow charts (draw.io) and mindmaps to organize my story lines, game components and projects in general. But nothing has felt like it is quite what I needed.
As I told, probably everyone use his personal system, but I'm sure that a general procedure exist, or it could be create...

anyway thanks to to given a little push on this question

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

#4 Post by Katy133 »

You can use a story grid to help plot out and organise you VN. I gave a talk about this during 2019's Visual Novel Conference.

Here is a recording that was kept of the live talk:

ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!

deltadidirac
Regular

#5 Post by deltadidirac »

Katy133 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:35 pm You can use a story grid to help plot out and organise you VN. I gave a talk about this during 2019's Visual Novel Conference.

Here is a recording that was kept of the live talk:

Hi , I'm already using a simular system, but it was iteresting watch the video, it given me some more ideas.

thanks