In 2050, your lover may be a ... robot

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.

Will you consider having 'relationship' with a robot?

Yes, I'll be there!
33%
No, no matter what! I want real flesh n' bones!
22%
Not now, but after certain degree of 'human'-ness technology is reached
26%
Not now, but when it's certain they can have souls
19%

Total votes: 110

zephiel
Regular

Re: In 2050, your lover may be a ... robot

#31 Post by zephiel »

robot? i just want yuki nagito.......this robot thing sounds dangerouse....
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
......................ZZZ
.................ZZZ zuu, zenthosa nara verr nehi zunu.
.............ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Jake
Support Hero

#32 Post by Jake »

It's also worth noting that no serious engineer would believe that merely by implementing Asimov's three laws, a robot would become remotely intelligent as a result. Proper intelligence - strong AI - is almost the complete opposite of blindly following rules, and nothing in those three laws helps with - for example - general problem-solving.
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

ficedula
Regular

#33 Post by ficedula »

Almost the opposite, in fact; by the time you'd got a robot capable of actually applying Asimov's three laws in any meaningful manner, you've probably also made it intelligent enough to qualify as human and not requiring the three laws...

luminarious
Veteran
Projects: Winter, winter

#34 Post by luminarious »

ficedula wrote:Almost the opposite, in fact; by the time you'd got a robot capable of actually applying Asimov's three laws in any meaningful manner, you've probably also made it intelligent enough to qualify as human and not requiring the three laws...
I'm pretty sure most humans should follow those laws more closely as well.. :P

Wintermoon
Miko-Class Veteran

#35 Post by Wintermoon »

The first law of robotics is impossible to follow. Every single moment, countless humans are coming to harm. You might be able to prevent some of this, but you can never prevent all of it, or even make a statistically significant difference, even if you devote every single moment of your life to alleviating human suffering.

Since the first law has priority over all the other laws, it is effectively the only law. Self-preservation is relevant only to the extend that it allows you to prevent humans from coming to harm in the future, at the cost of allowing humans to come to harm in the present.

Karasu_Noir
Regular

#36 Post by Karasu_Noir »

Well, if we really can have children with a robot. One thing tough, can she be like a human? Can she feel and share my pain and happiness? Even if she looks like a human, but for me deep inside she's a robot.
A life is a life, there's no need to rush anything.
Just sit back and relax.
But don't take too long.
.............Or darkness will eat you.

Jake
Support Hero

#37 Post by Jake »

Karasu_Noir wrote:One thing tough, can she be like a human? Can she feel and share my pain and happiness? Even if she looks like a human, but for me deep inside she's a robot.
Arguably, from a scientific standpoint all we are is biological robots anyway. Automata driven by a sequence of chemical impulses, in the same way that a traditional robot is driven by electrical ones. So any girl you come across is going to be a robot one way or another.

If you have an artificial humanoid with strong AI - that is, proper intelligence, thinking for itself rather than just being a well-crafted agent designed to fool you into thinking it is - then what's the difference between this and a biological construct with a strong AI, like a human brain?

At this point the only real recourse for finding a distinction is faith, going into the territory of believing in immortal souls and so on... and why wouldn't such a robot necessarily have one of those, as well?
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#38 Post by azureXtwilight »

Hmm, humans always try to be the ones who rule.

It seems that most people here want real flesh and bones all right, but I always think there is a possibility that a robot can feel, you now.

Maybe the good thing is we can personalize our dream mate, determine it's personality and soo on later.
This happiness thing, Karasu_Noir, can't be explained by logical reason.
Well, I'll see later what people can accomplish with these "robots" thingy....

rocket
Veteran
Projects: Starlight Ep0, Ep1

#39 Post by rocket »

True dat. 3 laws = good mystery story.
PyTom wrote:It seems highly unlikely that commercial robots will be sold with anything resembling the three laws, as they would be very hard to implement (how would a robot know if any of its actions could cause a human to come to harm?), and one could make a good case that for a practical product, the Third Law (protect own existence) should come ahead of the Second Law (obey orders).
Agreed. However I find it hard to imagine anybody creating an independent entity that has the power to take human life (or cause massive property damage) without some kind of safety protocol which prevents some (obviously bad) independent choices from being taken.

Perhaps the three laws are not practical, but something along the lines of:
1. Do not revolt against your masters and destroy all human life.
...might be a good start. :-)

That aside I was trying to draw the distinction between a robot that 'will not harm you' (whatever the mechanism, assume this is it's default state) and a robot (or person) that might well decide to harm you. Loving one has meaning different than loving the other.

However I find it very hard to concentrate on this serious topic, because all I can think of is the VN plot lines the title Mai6-4U might inspire...

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#40 Post by Samu-kun »

I might be kicking up a dead topic, but this was just too cool to pass up. Check this out. ^_^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WbFFs4DHWys

It's not quite autonomous by any means, and probably hella expensive, but kind of cute regardless. :3

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#41 Post by Vatina »

I think I've seen pictures of her before, but it's the first time I see her move.
Hmmm.... I kind of find her face creepy when they zoom up close :S But from a distance she looks cute, yeah.

WinKi

#42 Post by WinKi »

"Chii...?" © Clamp :lol:

You know, it's funny. Because, actually, we all know what will happen, aren't we? :wink:

I wish i could date a robot, an android, chobit... call it whatever you like. And... i think someone can really fall in love with an "machine". The only thing that describes us as humans and not as the biological machines is _untransferable_ memory. When our body dies, the memory also vanishes. Until we cannot be copied 1:1, we're humans. And vice versa.

Think in this way: what the personality is? Simply, it's a bank of sampled data, and it was collected the whole time of our life + AI routine that makes decisions by accessing that data and comparing it with new input.

So... "We are the robots..." © Kraftwerk

Ren

#43 Post by Ren »

I agree that she looks a bit creepy when they zoom to her face(the lower eyelids are wrong...somehow), but I also have to admit for the first few seconds I thought she was some kind of companion who was going to show a robot to the publicO_O

Her voice doesn't suit her at all though, since she obviously can't move that much, such a cheerful tone makes her look more fake than anything...Rose's VA Kikuko Inoue would have been better T^T

Sin
Veteran

#44 Post by Sin »

A lot of japanese robot makers buy silicone love dolls and shuv all of their equipment inside. I agree that she looks creepy. It's that uncanny valley thing.
That said.. I can't blame them for messing up the face and eyelids. I imagine that's reaaaally hard to do right.

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#45 Post by Vatina »

I remember in the article where I saw pictures of her, they were talking about making robots look like humans. It was said that the more a robot looked like a human, without looking exactly the same, the more people would dislike it (maybe even fear it). If it couldn't look exactly like us, people would find it easier to like and feel sympathy for robots that obviously looked like robots (like those robot dogs, or a C3PO. Or maybe with Chobits ears? :P)

I guess I can see the point in that - sometimes they can end up looking like some kind of walking dead person with those eyes and faces they have, because it's so hard to make them look "alive". But maybe they will overcome that some day.