Can't get Dialogue Box to appear on screen. {Solved}

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Ibitz
Regular
Projects: Magical Disarray (WIP)
Organization: Ibitz Visual Novels
Deviantart: http://ibitz.deviant
itch: ibitz

Can't get Dialogue Box to appear on screen. {Solved}

#1 Post by Ibitz »

So, I'll post what I have code-wise and hopefully you guys can help me come to a conclusion.

This is in my Options:

Code: Select all

style.window.background = Frame("textbox.png",2,2)
    style.say_who_window.background = Frame("namebox.png",1,1)

## Margin is space surrounding the window, where the background
    ## is not drawn.

style.window.left_margin = 226
    style.window.right_margin = 1078
    style.window.top_margin = 884
    style.window.bottom_margin = 70

style.say_who_window.left_margin = 40
    style.say_who_window.right_margin = -35
    style.say_who_window.top_margin = 45    
    style.say_who_window.bottom_margin = 0

## Padding is space inside the window, where the background is
    ## drawn.

style.window.left_padding = 65
    style.window.right_padding = 50
    style.window.top_padding = 45
    style.window.bottom_padding = 15

style.say_who_window.left_padding = 30
    style.say_who_window.right_padding = 0
    style.say_who_window.top_padding = 10
    style.say_who_window.bottom_padding = 10

## This is the minimum height of the window, including the margins
    ## and padding.

style.window.yminimum = 160
I have the basic beginning code in my screens for the SayWho/What windows, so I won't bother posting those.
Long story short, I started editing this because for some reason the new update threw my dialogue box up into
the top left of the screen and nothing I did could get it to return to the center and bottom like before. My game
size is 800x600 if that helps at all. I just can't figure out what to do. Any and all help or tips is appreciated!
Last edited by Ibitz on Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ibitz is a self-taught coder/artist who works alone on their games. All games I create are freeware. If you need any help with coding or creating your game, just let me know. I'd be more than happy to help.

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

Re: Can't get Dialogue Box to appear on screen.

#2 Post by Donmai »

Take a look at the screen say(who, what) section in screens.rpy. Check the xalign and yalign values. The yalign value is defined in gui.rpy (yes, styles in the new GUI are a mess). Generally the yalign value is defined this way:

Code: Select all

define gui.textbox_yalign = 0.99
The xalign value is generally 0.5
Your dialogue box is probably appearing offscreen for some reason.

Personally, I believe the days of 800x600 games are gone. They will appear too small in a modern monitor screen.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

Ibitz
Regular
Projects: Magical Disarray (WIP)
Organization: Ibitz Visual Novels
Deviantart: http://ibitz.deviant
itch: ibitz

#3 Post by Ibitz »

Thank you for your help! With this new update, I didn't realize that yalign would even show up under the gui as style. I finally fixed it, so I appreciate your input!

In terms of the 800x600, I'm working with a screen that has a resolution of 2560X1440, so my game has been able to fit modern and old monitors pretty decently. It's more of a style choice than anything. I like the black bar border around the edges so people can put up little cheat sheets like my walkthrough or whatnot, in the sides as well. Plus, this was a game I created a few years back during physical therapy from back to back arm surgeries and I have plenty of modern ideas/games I want to make, but I put so much effort into this old game that I want to finish it before moving on to something new. What's the usual resolution people are using for VNs? I've never really seen a good start. I mostly chose 800X600 (originally) due to it being a decent resolution that any computer could run.

Ibitz is a self-taught coder/artist who works alone on their games. All games I create are freeware. If you need any help with coding or creating your game, just let me know. I'd be more than happy to help.

isobellesophia
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: None
Projects: Maddox and Friends! (AI Teacher friend), Friendly Universities! (Soon)
Organization: Friendly Teachers series
Deviantart: SophBelle
itch: Child Creation

#4 Post by isobellesophia »

1280x700 are most used for the developers, 1920x1080 is common sometimes, depending on their planning screens and textboxes. If the computer resolution is too big or small, it is recommend to fit the game screen to the computer resolution itself, (i currently use 1920x1080 because that is what i expected to plan sooner.)
I am a friendly user, please respect and have a good day.