Several textboxes NOT simultaneously

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Nekto_K

Several textboxes NOT simultaneously

#1 Post by Nekto_K »

Hello. I don't know how to realize several textboxes in different bubbles (like in a comics/manga) that are showing one by one (on click). Example:

1) show phraseX of Character1
2) show phraseY of Character2 (phraseX of Character1 is still showing)
3) replace phraseX of Character1 with phraseZ (phraseY of Character2 is still showing)
4) hide phraseY of Character2 (phraseZ of Character1 is still showing)
and so on.

I was thinking about (multiple=х), but all of them are showing simultaneously, and tags like {w} doesn't work with it.
I was thinking about ParameterizedText for each phrase, but this is a little troubled when there is a hundreds phrases with different styles.

philat
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Several textboxes NOT simultaneously

#2 Post by philat »

If you have infinite possible styles/placements, then there's really no way around it. Either a screen where you feed in styles manually (you would have to show the screens manually rather than using say statements, but you can show multiple iterations of a screen or have multiple similar screens (say1, say2, and so forth) to show simulataneously) or ParameterizedText.

Ibitz
Regular
Projects: Magical Disarray (WIP)
Organization: Ibitz Visual Novels
Deviantart: http://ibitz.deviant
itch: ibitz

#3 Post by Ibitz »

You can always design your dialogue as text bubbles or boxes in the same way as sprites and then show them that way wherever you want. You can animate them and simulate text messages or whatever you need.

Ibitz is a self-taught coder/artist who works alone on their games. All games I create are freeware. If you need any help with coding or creating your game, just let me know. I'd be more than happy to help.

Nekto_K

#4 Post by Nekto_K »

Ibitz wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:11 pm You can always design your dialogue as text bubbles or boxes in the same way as sprites and then show them that way wherever you want. You can animate them and simulate text messages or whatever you need.
Can you bring an example of code for this?

Andredron
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Andredron »

Code: Select all

define sh = Character('Shino', 
    color="9966cc", 
    window_background = Frame("textbox3.png", 0, 0), #Your custom textbox.
    window_left_margin = 320,
    window_right_margin = 10,
    window_top_margin = 70,
    window_bottom_margin = 500,
    window_left_padding = 60,
    window_right_padding = 10,
    window_top_padding = 70,
    window_bottom_padding = 75,
    ctc="ctc_blink")

label start:
    sh "text" 

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=17232#p225925