is there a function that counts the played time per session?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
abeplaga
Regular

is there a function that counts the played time per session?

#1 Post by abeplaga »

Hi! I just discovered that there is a variable that counts the game time (renpy.get_game_runtime), and I wondered if there is a variable that stores how long a game has been running in a play session. In other words, that count the time everytime the player runs the executable of the game.

If there isn't, how could it be created? Maybe a screen with a timer that adds a second to the variable every second? ... but I think it's a bit wrong :s

philat
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: is there a function that counts the played time per session?

#2 Post by philat »

get_game_runtime IS per session.

abeplaga
Regular

#3 Post by abeplaga »

philat wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:37 am get_game_runtime IS per session.
I've done tests and no, it starts counting from the moment you enter the script and stays stored in the saves.

I ask for a function that counts from the moment the player executes the .exe of the game and always starts at 0.

Remix
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: None... yet (as I'm still looking for an artist)
Projects: An un-named anime based trainer game

#4 Post by Remix »

There isn't one natively (not as far as I know anyway)

You could just reset the game_runtime wherever you want though with renpy.clear_game_runtime(), e.g.

Code: Select all

label splashscreen():
    $ renpy.clear_game_runtime()
    return
Frameworks & Scriptlets:

abeplaga
Regular

#5 Post by abeplaga »

Remix wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:51 am There isn't one natively (not as far as I know anyway)

You could just reset the game_runtime wherever you want though with renpy.clear_game_runtime(), e.g.

Code: Select all

label splashscreen():
    $ renpy.clear_game_runtime()
    return
I tried it with but doesn't work. Maybe because runtime starts when the player loads a save slot or starts a new game. If you clear runtime before that doesn't happen.

philat
Eileen-Class Veteran

#6 Post by philat »

My bad, I remembered there was an issue with get_game_runtime but was remembering the wrong one -- the one I was thinking of is it participates in rollback, which seems to defeat its purpose lol. Anyway, in short, no, there isn't one out of the box.