Question on the "about" screen

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
mdqp

Question on the "about" screen

#1 Post by mdqp »

This is a question about legality and the will of the developer. Basically, I'd like to know if the dev cares whether I show it or not and if it would be illegal to hide it. I ask because I have seen games without the "about" page in them, and it got me wondering. That's the kind of information I personally might prefer to share in a webpage (giving a link to Ren'py's page) or perhaps in the credits roll, rather than give it real estate as its own entry in the menu (which is already starting to look crowded XD).

Has this topic ever been brought up before? I tried searching for it, but I found no meaningful results ("about screen" are hard words to search for on the forum).

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: Question on the "about" screen

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

As far as I'm aware, the info in the about screen is legally required, but it doesn't have to be in the game anywhere, you could place it in a text document or change the exact wording if you wanted.
See https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/license.html
Although we are unable to provide legal advice, we believe compliance can be achieved by including a copy of this license with every copy of Ren'Py you distribute, and linking to this license from your project's README file or App Store description
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

gas
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Question on the "about" screen

#3 Post by gas »

Simplifying the thing a lot...
When you use something of someone else, that depend on what the other individual stated on the release.
So, for example, if you're using a code of mine I've released on a website for download, and released with an CC Attribution warranty, you must quote it in the final product itself (you must quote the Attribution). You should read the license and release notes. An about page is a good placeholder to host all the Attributions you must quote (see games like Battle for Westernos to see HUNDREDS of sources quoted).
In many other circumstances, the quoting of someone is stated only by the signed contract between parts. So, for example, an artist can pretend to be quoted in credits lines, both inside or outside the physical product. And where this quote should be stated. Obviously the producer can refuse to accept, or impose some other rule (try forcing Nintendo adding an "about" page and you'll get fired from the window, the next artist recruited instead). For example, in many later DS games, you can see a logo for a video codec: that was imposed by the codec owner itself. Other routines, like the movement one, where instead quoted in ending credits lines alone.

Nothing is stated by "default", everything depend by the relationship between you, the rights you want to state and other rights owners. So, for example, I can be satisfied by a phone call and my credit line appear in the website alone.
(Now you know what a Production Assistant is payed for).
If you want to debate on a reply I gave to your posts, please QUOTE ME or i'll not be notified about. << now red so probably you'll see it.

10 ? "RENPY"
20 GOTO 10

RUN