[CLOSED] [REV-SHARE] [NSFW] Looking For A Long-term Artist/Partner To Work On A Cyberpunk RPG

Forum rules
Recruiting Rules: (1) Only recruit if you have an actual, clearly defined project you're recruiting for. Don't recruit if you're an organization that may have a project at some time in the future. (2) Tell people what kind of work you have for them. For commissions, also tell them how much work it will probably be. (3) Tell people how much work on your project is already complete. (4) Always open recruitment threads in the correct subforum - Free, Commercial or Paid Work.
vitriolic_crux

[CLOSED] [REV-SHARE] [NSFW] Looking For A Long-term Artist/Partner To Work On A Cyberpunk RPG

#1 Post by vitriolic_crux »

Project:
- Title is in the works, as I'd like to have a firmer idea of what the game is going to feel like before picking a title. And that isn't going to happen until the two of us have a discussion.
- The game is an NSFW dating-sim RPG in a cyberpunk/magical setting. Think Bladerunner-ish, except the implants are powered by magic. You play as someone who has just moved into the city and slowly becomes entrenched in the city's underworld as you continue to seek out more powerful implants. The implants will provide gameplay changes, as well as give the player different ways to interact with the girls.
- I had planned for only a male protagonist, but a female MC might be possible as well depending on how we choose to implement NPC interactions.
- Many of implants have nefarious sexual implications and/or BDSM-related themes. The protagonist will be a force for good, but a lot of what he does will be morally dubious.

Developer:
- I'm currently the only developer, both writing and coding. A large portion of the game is already written, with a good chunk of the more complex mechanic systems already taken care of.

Looking for:
- I'm looking for a well-rounded 2D artist who typically focuses on sprite-work, but isn't afraid to branch out into things like environments or UI design.
- Someone with a more developed style with a good command of light and shadow.
Employment Type:
- We'd split the revenue generated from the game. Things might change depending on how many people end up joining the project, but as long as it's just the two of us you shouldn't expect less than 40% of the revenue. How much more than that is up for discussion, as it depends on how much work you're willing to put into the project.

Work commitment:
- This will end up being a long term project. The game currently has 12 main heroines with a planned customizable wardrobe system, and quite a few locations that will need unique background CGs.
- Considering that I myself am a full-time student/employee, I get that you aren't going to be able to work 8 hours a day on this project. That's perfectly fine, considering how much of the main game I still have yet to write and/or code.
- I had planned for a sequel, but there's no way of knowing how things will turn out. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Preferred method of contact:
- Once we start working, I'll prefer to keep in contact over Discord or by email. If you're interested, just leave a comment here or PM me directly.

Job Description:
- A skilled, driven 2D artist who is interested in working long term. Work when you want to, but the two of us will have to set deadlines for one another to keep each other accountable. I can be understanding of your situation, but I'd also like to finish the game sometime in the next century or so. Know what I mean?
- I want you to be interested in the world, so the two of us will work together to build it. This means you should probably have some appreciation for world-building, but this isn't strictly necessary if you're already interested in what I've written so far.

Additional comments:
- If you're interested, pm me and I'll give you a link for the game's design document so you can really get a feel for the kind of game I'm interested in making.
Last edited by vitriolic_crux on Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vitriolic_crux

Re: [OPEN] [REV-SHARE] [NSFW] Looking For A Long-term Artist/Partner To Work On A Cyberpunk RPG

#2 Post by vitriolic_crux »

Looking around other recruitment forums for projects like mine, I'm realizing that a lot of these don't end up going anywhere even after the team is formed. Typically, it's because the project lead wasn't willing or able to do any of the work they said they could. So, as a display of at least basic competence, I whipped up a tech demo for some of the game's key features. To give you an idea of my ability, I started working on this about 48 hours ago and spent maybe 8 of those actually coding.

Right now, you can move between different areas and not much else. What you should pay attention to though, is what's happening to the menus as you move around. Each connection between areas takes a different amount of time to move through, the backgrounds change as the day changes between morning, day, evening, and night, and each area has an associated P value.

P stands for Publicity, and will be used to determine what a girl would be willing to do in that area. For example, she'd be much more willing to undress in her own room instead of in the middle of the crowded street. However, since Publicity changes throughout the day, it's possible you could convince her to go streaking down that same street when it's abandoned at night. Those are the kinds of organic interactive systems that I'm interested in building.

Once again, if you're interested please either pm me on this site or send me an email. Thanks.
Attachments
CyberpunkRPG_Tech_Demo-pre-Alpha_v0.01a-pc.zip
(29.91 MiB) Downloaded 52 times

Kia
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: KiaAzad
Discord: Kia#6810

Re: [OPEN] [REV-SHARE] [NSFW] Looking For A Long-term Artist/Partner To Work On A Cyberpunk RPG

#3 Post by Kia »

you're right about the lazy leaders, that's a sure recipe for disaster, past that usually it's the lack of art that kills most of the projects, it is hard to find good artists and harder to keep your artists on board and active.
I suggest learning the basics of drawing, it helps you choose and communicate with your artists.

vitriolic_crux

#4 Post by vitriolic_crux »

Kia wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:49 am I suggest learning the basics of drawing, it helps you choose and communicate with your artists.
I actually tried learning how to draw so I could do the art myself, but the time investment just became too much. With how much work I want to go into both the coding and the art, it just isn't feasible for one person to do.

At the very least, I gained an appreciation for how much work it takes for an artist to reach a commercial level of skill.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#5 Post by Zelan »

I don't know if you've tried already, but you might have better luck approaching an artist whose style you like and asking them to partner with you, instead of waiting for them to come to you. Like you said, a lot of projects posted here don't end up going anywhere, so I don't know how many professional artists browse these forums.

Best of luck with your project, it sounds interesting.

vitriolic_crux

#6 Post by vitriolic_crux »

Zelan wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:22 pm I don't know if you've tried already, but you might have better luck approaching an artist whose style you like and asking them to partner with you, instead of waiting for them to come to you.
Took your advice, and found an artist before the weekend was over! Thanks for the help!

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#7 Post by Zelan »

vitriolic_crux wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:45 pm
Zelan wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:22 pm I don't know if you've tried already, but you might have better luck approaching an artist whose style you like and asking them to partner with you, instead of waiting for them to come to you.
Took your advice, and found an artist before the weekend was over! Thanks for the help!
Congrats! Glad I could be of help. (: Looking forward to seeing more updates from this project.