No longer required, delete thread if needed! :)

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
yingoring

No longer required, delete thread if needed! :)

#1 Post by yingoring »

Thread not required anymore, thank you everyone for the feedback! Removed contents as it included outdated works which does not represent my skills anymore :)
Last edited by yingoring on Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

ComputerArt.Club
Veteran
Completed: Famous Fables, BoPoMoFo: Learn Chinese, Santa's workshop, Cat's Bath, Computer Art Club

Re: How much is my coloring style worth and which style would you prefer?

#2 Post by ComputerArt.Club »

Left style seems like soft light, which is more common. Right style is harsh light, like they are on a stage with a spot light on them. Characters should look like they are affected by the light in the particular setting, it is a matter of knowing when to use each style.

Sunny days are also more harsh, where as cloudy days have more of a softer light, but these things rarely get considered in VNs as people want to minimize the amount of necessary sprites.

I also prefer the left image. The prices that you list are for head shots or full body prices? Are the prices for line art and color or only color?

yingoring

#3 Post by yingoring »

Deleted
Last edited by yingoring on Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#4 Post by Zelan »

I actually quite like both styles. Your art is good, so I think you could sell your art using either style. In that case, you should go with the one you prefer/the one that is easier on your body! Good luck. (:

morinoir
Regular
itch: blackpepper

#5 Post by morinoir »

your work is good and certainly worth more than $3-$6. Portrait like that should be priced $20 at least, and even more if you put more time on cleaning the line art and rendering.
Looking at the face structure, you already grasp the foundation. Keep drawing and you'll get used to facial anatomy very soon. As for the coloring, the first image feels rough and unfinished. When you do shading with one color, I say it's best if you pair it with clean line art. While on the second image, it's okay to keep things messier because the coloring itself is more dynamic and feels more like painting than drawing. Just make sure to consider where the light comes from and where it casts shadows.

yingoring

#6 Post by yingoring »

Deleted
Last edited by yingoring on Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wudgeous
Regular
Tumblr: herotome
itch: wudgeous

Re: (UPDATED) How much is my coloring style worth and which style would you prefer?

#7 Post by Wudgeous »

Since you're asking for critique in a visual novel development forum, maybe I can help you narrow down what people here are interested in seriously purchasing;

1) Full-body character sprites, with exchangeable clothes and facial expressions. Your lefthand style is better suited to sprites.
Character sprites are usually priced at $50-90.

2) CGs. As ComputerArt.Club suggested, your harsh light style can be used for a character lit by a spotlight or sunny day. So, your righthand style can be suited to CGs.
Since CGs usually incorporate backgrounds, action, or interesting angles, they cost more than sprites and can range anywhere between $60-200.

If you really want to market your art to the game dev community, I recommend you focus on working towards these two major art assets. Hopefully this gives you a little more direction.
Have confidence. Let go of perfectionism. I love you!
A superhero dating sim in fresh hot development!

You can also keep up with me on Twitter and Itch!

morinoir
Regular
itch: blackpepper

Re: (UPDATED) How much is my coloring style worth and which style would you prefer?

#8 Post by morinoir »

whoaa that's some good portrait you made there! Well done! My favorite is definitely the left image. The right image's color feels murky because you use greyish green for secondary shading color and I also found that the character's eyes are clearer on the left image. I'm guessing you used green because you want to match the color with his eyes, but I suggest for skin, use purple instead (unless the dark murky feeling is what you're aiming for).

(Went ahead and applied purple to your drawing. Hope you don't mind.)

As for the price, I think you can even price it at $30 for this kind of portrait. I would love to see you draw the body next time. Keep practicing and good luck with the commission!