Academy of Heroines [Supernatural][Drama][Romance]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Our Dev
Projects: Academy of Heroines VN
IRC Nick: Devour

Academy of Heroines [Supernatural][Drama][Romance]

#1 Post by Our Dev »

Genre: Supernatural, Drama, Romance

Premise:
AoH is a cute game about a boy meeting girls with supernatural powers and teaching them how to live in the real world. And being totally unprepared for what it turns into.
Most have never seen things like cars, fast food restaurants, concerts and big gatherings of people. It's cute to watch them get so excited over little things like flowers and pizza delivery. But their problems are very real. No matter how hard they may try to have a happy, simple life, sometimes it's just impossible. Sometimes even a small mistake might get someone killed, and that someone might be you.

Synopsis:
You, the player, are a star student of a privately-owned University named Silverwood. Your perfect grades were impressive, but it was the ability to understand, teach, and mentor any kind of student that got the attention of the school's President. When he sat you down in his office and told you his offer, you learned that there was a lot more to Silverwood than you thought. The entire University is merely a front for his secret projects.
Unfortunately, his projects all ended in failure. But it would be a waste to just kill off his work. You are his backup plan.
In exchange for a lot of money and a promising career, he wants you to use those mentoring skills to transition his "failed projects," six girls with unique powers, out of their development of becoming supernatural weapons and into the role of ordinary students.
Most of these girls have been secluded from society since childhood. While most never made it far enough to see live combat, they still lack knowledge of the outside world and have never been around ordinary people before.
He tells you he's done the best he could to get them ready, and they've agreed to cooperate with you the best they know how, but these girls are not prepared for a normal life at all. If they fail to transition, or if you fail to teach them, the only path left is to discard them for everyone's safety.

Attached below is each girl's file with some basic information to get you started.

Characters:

Screenshots:

Development Info:

This game is being developed by just two people so far. Me and a wonderful artist, Pencilnote, who are both working full time jobs and doing what we can in our free time. Both of us are new to making visual novels, but I have been writing books for most of my life and Pencil's skills are clear to see right above you :D
As of right now, this game is relatively early in development. A large playable Demo of Maeve's route, about 80,000 words long, is almost finished but going through some changes as we upgrade the game's old sprites to these new, higher quality sprites.
As time goes on, progress will be to finish Maeve's route entirely and begin Melody's route, then Elise's, then Katrina's, then Rosaline's.

The full game will include five unique stories, one for each girl, each with a vastly different story as their history and their powers provide unique challenges to overcome. With luck, I'll also be able to make a secret route that involves Amasa.

The purpose of this thread:

Being new to visual novels, I'm always hoping for people who want to proofread my progress and give their opinions, to keep me on track and make sure I'm always creating high-quality work.
We're also hoping to find more people to help work on the VN, since it's an awful lot of jobs for just two people to do, but I'll make a dedicated thread for that later.

If you want to watch our progress, I have a Discord server that works as a dev log for now. Once I learn more about what I'm doing, I'm sure I'll make an actual website or social media to post what's going on with the game.
https://discord.gg/jZAV7q

My questions for you:

-What do you think of the game's premise?
-Which character do you think is your favorite?
-Why is making visual novels so hard please send help (don't worry, I'll live)

Thanks for reading 8)
Last edited by Our Dev on Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:35 pm, edited 16 times in total.

arty
Regular
Completed: White Monday
Projects: HATE is a 4 Letter Word
Organization: KATHARSIS ART
itch: artys-games

Re: Academy of Heroines [Supernatural][Drama][Romance]

#2 Post by arty »

I got here from you linking this thread in the Ren'Py discord server. So I already told you this, but I figured I'd leave a comment too.

You've got a fun project here by the looks of it, I'll be following the development. It looks very ambitious, so I hope you will find the motivation and time to stick with it to the end. :)

For your questions:

1) It looks interesting and like something that hasn't been done to death.
2) Like I said on the discord, Maeve definitely. She seems very intriguing.
3) I feel you haha. If you find an answer, please let me know!

Good luck with your project! Cheers.

Macros

#3 Post by Macros »

Hm, interesting. This certainly gets my attention.

1) the premise seems pretty solid - though the MCs' reasons to be involved with the plot a bit flimsy, but it'll depend on execution. One thing I do wonder, though, is how each route deals with the five "discarded" girls - after all, you're supposed to help all of them no matter who you get romantically involved with.

2) still too soon to tell. I will say this though: to me the most important character to 'get' right is usually the MC. In that respect, the relative lack of information on them so far can be a problem. I know some want them as blank as possible to better serve as self-insert, but I kind of dislike this approach. I'd rather follow a more fleshed-out character and try to walk in their shoes.

3) you have my sincerest appreciation, and I wish you the best of luck with that.
"So many things to do, so little time."

Pencilnote

#4 Post by Pencilnote »

Hey there guys, I'm the artist for the VN and just wanted to give off my responses.

@Arty - Yes, we'll both definitely finish this as we're both passionate about this project. I'm glad to see that you are also a man of culture by picking best girl.
@Macros - Great feedback! I've forwarded your input to the writer as #1 is a solid question. I don't know the nitty gritty details of the route as I mainly focus on doing all the art assets but MC (As far as the demo goes) isn't written to be a blank slate.

Thanks both! Much appreciated!

Update:
I've stylized the character bio for each of the heroines so it's easier to read and overall looks better. Most of my art updates are in the AoH Discord server but I'll drop by here daily to respond to the people interested in our passion project.

arty
Regular
Completed: White Monday
Projects: HATE is a 4 Letter Word
Organization: KATHARSIS ART
itch: artys-games

#5 Post by arty »

I have to admit, Rosaline is a very close runner-up, especially with her new profile now. :'D
Macros brought up a very good point actually, I am also curious about the MC. I also prefer MCs with personality, so I'd be interested to hear more about this one's.

Our Dev

#6 Post by Our Dev »

Macros' feedback is stuff that I've had to think about as well. Both questions are handled well in the VN (or at least I think so), but I wasn't sure how to write the details in full in a thread for people who know nothing about the VN yet. I'll still answer here in case it helps :)

-The school President's offer to the MC was a career and money. In the story it goes a bit differently, since supernatural stuff isn't real and he thought it was a joke or a test. What swayed him was the fact that if he didn't take his offer, the girls would likely be discarded since the President didn't trust anyone else and his own associates had already failed.
-Even though you pick just one waifu's story to see in a route, the girls also make friends with each other along the way. For example, Rosaline can touch Melody's skin and not die, so they naturally become friends. Katrina ends up being a big help as well. No matter whose route you choose, the others have a support network of friends (as well as some help from MC) that help them overcome their issues. Even if you've started dating and spending time with your girl outside of school :P

I see the people here have good taste as well ;) Rosaline's my favorite of the bunch preference wise, although Melody is definitely my favorite in terms of telling a story about her. I'm already excited to write her route after I finish Maeve's. And it's exciting to hear that the concept sounds interesting.

Macros

#7 Post by Macros »

Our Dev wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:38 am -The school President's offer to the MC was a career and money. In the story it goes a bit differently, since supernatural stuff isn't real and he thought it was a joke or a test. What swayed him was the fact that if he didn't take his offer, the girls would likely be discarded since the President didn't trust anyone else and his own associates had already failed.
Ah, I take it that means it's male MC only then? If so, probably something that should be made explicit from the start.

Anyway, glad the feedback was of some use, and the fact that the game will spend some time on the other characters' interactions with each other is certainly a plus in my book. Keep up the good work!

Pencilnote

#8 Post by Pencilnote »

Macros wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:00 am
Our Dev wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:38 am -The school President's offer to the MC was a career and money. In the story it goes a bit differently, since supernatural stuff isn't real and he thought it was a joke or a test. What swayed him was the fact that if he didn't take his offer, the girls would likely be discarded since the President didn't trust anyone else and his own associates had already failed.
Ah, I take it that means it's male MC only then? If so, probably something that should be made explicit from the start.

Anyway, glad the feedback was of some use, and the fact that the game will spend some time on the other characters' interactions with each other is certainly a plus in my book. Keep up the good work!
Yep, it's male MC only and it gets mentioned at the start of the demo when talking with Demarco (The president of the university). We'll get feedback whether the intro makes it clear enough that MC is a guy and if it isn't, we'll make it clearer.

Aye, I too quite enjoy that interaction is not just bounded with MC and the girls. So much so that one of my favorite parts of the demo is Katrina's and Maeve's dynamics together.

We're excited to have the first version of the demo released soon so you guys can experience it for yourself as well!

Macros

#9 Post by Macros »

Pencilnote wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:06 am Yep, it's male MC only and it gets mentioned at the start of the demo when talking with Demarco (The president of the university).
Ah well, I'll live with the disappointment. :cry:

What I actually meant though, is that it probably should be mentioned in the opening post (or even the thread title). Depending on the person, it can be a pretty important information whether or not the game is of interest to you.

Nonetheless, curious to see the future demo.

Our Dev

#10 Post by Our Dev »

Ah, I was wondering what all those BxG/GxG/etc tags meant. I see what you mean, thanks for the advice~
I made a small edit to the premise for now, pointing out that stuff at the beginning. If there's more confusion, I might make a thread tag :p