Kill the Prince?! [BxB][RELEASED!]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Heiden
Regular
Completed: Elvine, The Life Threads, Helena's Flowers, Dr. Frank's Build-A-Boyfriend, Beyond the Deep, The Bog's Heart, The Girl With the Gray Hair Awakens, The Far Rings, NB107A
Projects: The Town Pages, Kill the Prince?! [Nano 2020]
Tumblr: heidengames
itch: Heiden

Kill the Prince?! [BxB][RELEASED!]

#1 Post by Heiden »

Hi I've never actually finished a Nano game on time. Until now.

Plot

The countries of Espington and Mien are again at war.

A decisive battle leaves the youngest prince of the Mienese Kingdom in the hands of Espington's War Minister who has plans for his captive. His plan? To marry the prince off to an Espington princess, giving the War Minister a connection to the royal family's table at the reclusive Mienese court.

The prince is shocked. The princess is shocked. The Espington people are outraged.

A revolutionary group refuses to allow the noble bloodline to be tainted. They'll stop at NOTHING to KILL THE PRINCE.

...well, they'll pay someone to KILL THE PRINCE for them.

Congratulations, you've been hired!

Will you follow through on this group's plans to murder this somewhat bookish prince? Or perhaps you have ambitions of your own...
Characters

The Prince and the MC

The Espington Princess, a Dragonkin Ambassador, and the War Minister

Features

One ending
One Prince you might.... be able to smooch...? :wink:

Team

Just me, Heiden!

Other

Okay so... I am determined to actually FINISH nano On Time this year. So what I am going to try to do... is make this game in an entire weekend. I did something similar with The Girl With the Gray Hair Awakens (https://heiden.itch.io/the-girl-with-th ... ir-awakens), so this won't be a very long game. But I hope it'll be engaging and fun, nonetheless! This will be a light-hearted(??) political-lite sort of game so expect something short and (maybe???) sweet.

I'll update this with actual art later (when I start working on it in earnest this weekend), but for right now have some concept art!
Last edited by Heiden on Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:52 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Completed: Elvine (GxB), The Life Threads, Helena's Flowers (GxG)(As Writer, Coder), Dr. Frank's Build-A-Boyfriend (BxB), Beyond the Deep (GxB)(As Artist), The Bog's Heart, The Girl with the Gray Hair Awakens, The Far Rings, NB107A.

All available to play on my itch.io page!

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

Re: Kill the Prince?! [BxB][Puzzle][Political Shenanigans]

#2 Post by Katy133 »

Really excited to see your VN, Heiden!
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!

LiamWinterdale
Regular
Completed: Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! (NaNoRenO 2020, CG / Cover + Title Logo Artist)
Projects: BR ( WiP ), HC1 ( WiP ), SWaTSB ( WiP ), SD ( WiP ), H ( WiP )

#3 Post by LiamWinterdale »

Omg, this sounds so interesting and hilarious!! The art looks great too! xDD
Looking forward to playing it~ best of luck, Heiden, and have fun! ^w^)/

Heiden
Regular
Completed: Elvine, The Life Threads, Helena's Flowers, Dr. Frank's Build-A-Boyfriend, Beyond the Deep, The Bog's Heart, The Girl With the Gray Hair Awakens, The Far Rings, NB107A

#4 Post by Heiden »

@Katy133 and @LiamWinterdale -

Oohh thank you!! I'm already having a lot of fun figuring out the puzzles in this game. Some of them are very silly.

And I know I said I would start this weekend but I got ahead of myself and I... ended up coloring and rough-drafting all of the main characters sprites!!

The Prince and the Main Character (who you play as)

The Espington Princess, a Dragonkin Ambassador and the War Minister!

They all have names! I just put off naming characters until the very last possible moment. So I think once I start writing the script I'll finally figure that out.

Also, as a sort of an easter egg... Some of these characters might be related to characters from my other games... :wink:
Completed: Elvine (GxB), The Life Threads, Helena's Flowers (GxG)(As Writer, Coder), Dr. Frank's Build-A-Boyfriend (BxB), Beyond the Deep (GxB)(As Artist), The Bog's Heart, The Girl with the Gray Hair Awakens, The Far Rings, NB107A.

LiamWinterdale
Regular
Completed: Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! (NaNoRenO 2020, CG / Cover + Title Logo Artist)

#5 Post by LiamWinterdale »

Haha, so glad to hear that!
All of them look so good ^w^)b

Heiden
Regular

#6 Post by Heiden »

Aahh thank you!

So it is the weekend!! My mini nano has just started and my goal for tonight is to finish the script! I'm currently ~2k into the script and expect the full thing to be maybe around 4k. So very short! But lots of little puzzles so the goal is for it to still be engaging.

Heiden
Regular

#7 Post by Heiden »

Alright final night update: It's almost 2 am and I just finished the script!

It's 5k long. Lots of mini bad endings with a single good ending. There's one major CG with a second one (if I get enough time...).

My goal for tomorrow is: Finish all the art assets!

Day 3 will then be implementing everything. Wish me luck!

LiamWinterdale
Regular

#8 Post by LiamWinterdale »

You're doing great!
Best of luck! ^w^)b

azaraih
Regular
Projects: Alectrona: Space Party, Deadnettle Creek
Tumblr: azaraih
itch: azaraih

#9 Post by azaraih »

This looks really cool so far! Definitely interested in how the prince and assassin dynamic is going to turn out. And I'm curious about what kind of puzzles you're planning, it's fun to see some different gameplay along with normal VN stuff. :]

Also you're really making the whole game in a weekend? :0 That's amazing, good luck and I'm excited to see how it turns out!
Image Image

Heiden
Regular

#10 Post by Heiden »

Yes I am... attempting to make it all this weekend. But we'll see how far I get :lol:

Midday update on day 2!! I've finished sprite 3 of 5. I still have 7 backgrounds to do (SCREAMING???), so expect those to be very heavily stylized.

Heiden
Regular

#11 Post by Heiden »

Sprites are done!

Now to start those bgs....

Heiden
Regular

#12 Post by Heiden »

Somehow (???) I finished all the backgrounds! I'll start importing all of the art assets into the game and try to set up all the rooms before I go to bed tonight.

For the bgs, I decided to go with a blurred photo with drawings ontop. Due to time restraints I tried to do them in black and white. I'm hoping that all together in the game it will look deliberate and will work with the fairy-tale like atmosphere of the game.

Heiden
Regular

#13 Post by Heiden »

Day 3 morning update:

So I've programmed in the logic and dialogue on the first room. (5 interact-able rooms total!) I'm going in on the 2nd room.

The default GUI is annoying me and I really do hope I'll have an hour at the end of the day to make it nice and sparkly. But I figure let's get the base game functional and (even though... I would not have completed my goal of finishing it this weekend) I can change the GUI tomorrow.

Just trying to keep going!!!

Here's a gif of how the game "plays" at the moment. :D

https://images-ext-1.discordapp.net/ext ... cDnOsa.mp4

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#14 Post by Zelan »

Ooooh, the gif looks so cool! I like how the rooms each have a different base color, I think it works really well to make them look unified while also clearly distinguishing them from one another. (:

Heiden
Regular

#15 Post by Heiden »

Zelan wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:02 pm Ooooh, the gif looks so cool! I like how the rooms each have a different base color, I think it works really well to make them look unified while also clearly distinguishing them from one another. (:
Aaahh thank you!

And I just finished importing all of the dialogue and hooking up all of the logic. The game is now playable from beginning to end.

It doesn't have any sprites and the GUI is still default but I'm still happy I've been able to get this far. For the rest of the day I'm going to work on getting the GUI looking nice and maybe start importing some of the sprites.

Anyone interested in being a beta tester? :D
(Not right now but mb in a week once I've gotten it looking nice and the sprites all imported)
I think for the rest of the month I'm going to work on making a title image and a final CG.
Last edited by Heiden on Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.