Chronicle of Beast [Adventure x Fantasy][DEMO UP!]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Voz
Regular
Projects: Aquae ~CCW~
Deviantart: young-lyndis
Discord: Kaizarel#2858

Chronicle of Beast [Adventure x Fantasy][DEMO UP!]

#1 Post by Voz »

Chronicle of Beast is a Fantasy Adventure and mostly kinetic visual novel featuring a vibrant world with unique characters. At present the script is 17,937 words and is only just getting started on the introductory arc to the grand adventure still to come. The VN will feature custom artwork for character, backgrounds, and event images, as well as the option to develop stronger relationships between the MC, the ever expanding world, and her companions.

Pilgrimage was meant to teach respect, humility, and an assortment of other virtues that the priests in the compound drilled into her head all her life. But the only thing Jindeel felt like she was gaining was distress. At the conditions of the city proper, at the sickness and crime that drove a dagger through the poor streets of old town, and at the temple that loomed brilliant and willingly ignorant above it all.

Fed up with the rampant injustice plaguing her home, Jindeel accepts a fortuitous if not questionable opportunity to take matters into her own hands. With the help of her mate, a smooth talking con-man, and a wild dog of a felon - they track down the bandit stronghold, only to find a much more serious threat buried centuries away in the jungle undergrowth.

Image Image
Image Image

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hrlr4x ... sp=sharing

Please consider these feedback questions when reading through the demo!
1) How was the art? Many assets are still temporary, but are the characters and backgrounds visually appealing? Do they match?
2) Does the story spark interest? What characters do you like best? What would you like to learn more about in their world?
3) What more would you like to see added? More cut sceens, pathes and choices, or more of one particular character?
4) Any other questions, comments, or concerns are more than welcome!
Last edited by Voz on Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Chronicle of Beast [Adventure x Fantasy][Demo Soon!]

#2 Post by Zelan »

I really love the character art!! Is Ravi a harpy?

Voz
Regular

Re: Chronicle of Beast [Adventure x Fantasy][Demo Soon!]

#3 Post by Voz »

Zelan wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:43 pm I really love the character art!! Is Ravi a harpy?
Hey! A familiar face! :D
Yes! Ravi is a harpy. A sparrow, if we're getting specific. All the characters are animal hybrid / kemonomimi-esque in design
at least all the mortal ones

Voz
Regular

Re: Chronicle of Beast [Adventure x Fantasy][DEMO UP!]

#4 Post by Voz »

HEY FRIENDS! THE DEMO IS READY!! :D

The link to the demo is online! I'm looking forward to everyone's feedback. Since I am the sole person on this project (minus one super neato friend making backgrounds for me), I'm craving some detailed info from you fine folks. There's a small list of questions posed at the end of the demo, but feel free to hit me with anything you got! If you need a specific distribution let me know.

Thanks for your time and effort, guys!

Voz
Regular

#5 Post by Voz »

Hello again friends! I see quite a few people have come to take a look at the thread. About 200 or so. Welcome! Even if you don't play through the story, I'd still like to hear your thoughts on what you can see here in the thread alone!

How does the art take you? Do any of the characters in particular strike your interest? Do you have any questions about the world at large?

I of course would still really like to hear some feedback from actual players. Hearing from you guys is the only way for me to improve, after all!
In the meanwhile, have a Latif

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Zelan »

Demo Questions (it would probably be helpful to put them somewhere in the thread as well):
1. I really like the art! The styles of the sprites and backgrounds work well together, and I love the character designs. (Especially for the gods - I sent pictures of them to my fiancee and she liked them as well.) The only thing I'm not a huge fan of is the main menu screen - the logo looks great, but the image behind it is boring.

2. I am interested in the story. I'm curious about the forgotten god, and about the divide between the wealthy priest class and the lower class, and how it came about and how it effects the daily life of the characters. I like all of the characters - Jindeel and Ravi are probably my favorites, but I'm most curious about Latif and Reiss - how they met each other, and how they came into their current lifestyle.

3. I don't really know if there's anything specific that I want to see added? Maybe more movement from the sprites during fast-paced scenes like the fight scene - that can be a great way to show movement and action without having to draw a whole bunch of CGs.

4. I took screenshots of the grammatical errors that I found - would you like me to send them to you? And on that note, I would suggest finding a proofreader if you can! Your writing is really illustrative and fun to read, so it's not like you're a "bad writer" or anything (in fact, I think you're quite good!). A proofreader is just always a good idea, regardless of your mastery of standardized grammar, because it helps to make the final game more polished.

Voz
Regular

#7 Post by Voz »

Zelan wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:12 pm
First of all, thanks a big bunch for playing and answering my questions! I'll post them up here under the demo download. That's probably something I should have done prior, you're right. But I enormously appreciate finally hearing something back from someone ^^

Even more thrilling to hear you enjoyed my writing! And yes! I would love if you could send me those screenshots. After such a long time staring at script and playing and replaying certain scenes, I'm sure there's a lot of things that could have slipped by me. I'll see if I can find myself a proofreader for future releases. ( If there's anyone else reading this comment in the meanwhile that's interested, HMU ;D )

I was seriously debating putting more CGs into the fight scene for much of that reason. There's a good portion of that scene that's mostly text, so I'm sure people would appreciate more visuals there. When you say movement I'm assuming you mean more than just transitions, correct? I'm not too code savvy yet, but I'm pretty quick to learn new things. There's plenty more action scenes like that further on in the story, and I would love any and all suggestions on making those more visually interesting. I'll see if I can come up with some spicier menu ideas too.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Zelan »

By "movement" I was thinking of sprite movements - they can move positions on the screen to illustrate them moving around in combat, and you could give them a quick "shake" effect when they get hit, for example. I'm not familiar with the intricacies of how to code these things but I know there are tutorials and guides for how to do so!

I'll put together the screenshots and send them to you through a PM. (: Glad I could help!

Voz
Regular

#9 Post by Voz »

Working on the next section of the story after where the demo ends! Some new characters are introduced. Will they help or hinder the gang? ;D

Voz
Regular

#10 Post by Voz »

What's good friends? I hope everyone's been surviving well during all this nonsense. I've been finding it hard to keep motivated myself. That said, word count is now nearly 25k and still progressing.

Meanwhile, I hope Ravi's sweet cinnamon roll face cheers ya'll up like he did me.