Heart of Fire

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

Re: Heart of Fire

#16 Post by Samu-kun »

Will there be an update of the game? When it is released, can we mirror it on the Ren'ai archives?

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: GO! Magical Boy (2006), Angelic Orbs (soundtrack)
Projects: Cyberlin (in progress)

#17 Post by Alessio »

Nice game, I liked the story and the old-school feel. But still plenty of bugs... "name 'main_menu' is not defined" and "list.remove(x): x not in list" when trying to sell items. Also, the items found cannot be used since they never appear in the list (except when trying to sell items). And as a small tip - maybe give the character names a different color. In the beginning it was a tad bid confusing to keep the characters apart. Other than that, really nice! Please do fix the bugs though.
Attachments
traceback2.txt
(1.6 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
traceback1.txt
(2.26 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
Current projects: Visual Novel "Cyberlin"

renkenjutsu
Regular

#18 Post by renkenjutsu »

I like this game! :) Thought the last Orc Captain really took me a while to figure out how to win him (it involves giving up). It's well scripted and engaging. And no, I didn't encounter any bugs *yet*
Currently working on:
Kensai : On hold till Masters is done. Grrrrr...

Scout
Veteran
Projects: A Princess of Venus

#19 Post by Scout »

Thanks for all the response and bug reports! One month later, I've got a new version released, that has followed most of the suggestions and fixed all the reported bugs. You can download version 1.1 from the website I've put up for it. I think it's probably sufficiently fixed for an RAA release.

Fixes
  • * Items no longer disappear into oblivion after being bought.
  • * Several balance fixes, including bumping the cost of grindstones up considerably.
  • * Reduced the amount of loot dropped with each fight.
  • * Enemies no longer attack from beyond the grave.
  • * Fixed a bug where you could ctrl-skip into a combat and lose the menu.
  • * Fixed the "%y has nothing left to steal." line so it now actually uses the enemy's name.
  • * Fixed the end fight
    with the Captain; now he always hits when he attacks, and his hit points are hidden until after the party wipe. Furthermore, he's impossible to kill before the party wipe now, grumble grumble.
Features
  • * Hit points now show up on the map screen for each player, so you don't waste potions.
  • * Now includes a "hard mode", which I recommend for anyone who doesn't need their hand held through RPGs.
And because Samu-kun requested it:
Here's what the sprite of the monster in the forest really looks like. Not for faint of heart or the squeamish! ;)

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#20 Post by chronoluminaire »

Just played this, and it was a lot of fun!

I loved the map screen, the variety of abilities each character had, the interleaving of VN and RPG segments, the atmosphere (particularly in the dark of the forest :shock: )...

About the only thing I didn't love was the end fight.
I had Mira with the Recover ability, meaning she could heal 2 hit points per turn; and I Doublecast Haste on her and Saber as first thing that combat, so she got to heal 4 health per attack of the Captain. In combination with the Shield, Protect and Leather padding that I had people using, the Captain was only dealing 3 per attack of his, so if I give up both of Mira's turns to heal, I don't lose any health at all. So after hitting at the Captain for a very long time, I came here to read about the game, and only reading some of the spoilers did I realise I had to give up.
But apart from that, this was lots and lots of fun! (And indeed console-RPG-tastic! :D) Nice one!
I released 3 VNs, many moons ago: Elven Relations (IntRenAiMo 2007), When I Rule The World (NaNoRenO 2005), and Cloud Fairy (the Cute Light & Fluffy Project, 2009).
More recently I designed the board game Steam Works (published in 2015), available from a local gaming store near you!

vnr4

#21 Post by vnr4 »

Heart of Fire reviewed at VNR4.

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#22 Post by Watercolorheart »

Old-school RPG VN? Sweet! (downloads)

I'll get back to you on it. :mrgreen:
I'm not even the same person anymore

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#23 Post by Watercolorheart »

Please, disable rollback during battles. I got extremely frustrated at the first because I accidentally spiraled my middle mouse button and it started it all over again.
I'm not even the same person anymore

Tsundere Lightning
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: And plenty of them!

#24 Post by Tsundere Lightning »

Played it.

Liked the story a lot, and the retro graphics made my day.

I'd have preferred if the game was either A) less linear or the B) the battles were harder.

...I wasted a Lightning Bolt or three on the Captian... is it a "Kills You" spell or does it actually deal damage? I ask because the description of the effect when you cast it makes it seem like an instadeath spell.
And I heartly endorse the suggestion that Captian casts a spell that makes you all fall down die at some point in the fight, rather than just have a ludicrous amount of hitpoints.
She's sun and rain: She's fire and ice. A little crazy, but it's nice.
Bliss Stage: Love is your weapon! A sci-fi visual novel about child soldiers coming of age. Kickstarter prerelease here. WIP thread here. Original tabletop game by Ben Lehman here. Tumblr here.

Mistik
Regular

#25 Post by Mistik »

enjoyed the game, very professional and customized badarse 8bit look. The had me hype to play the rest of the game.
My team
ranger+rogue+rogue = fun times

I have the same problem as everyone else.
I got to the captain fight. He wont die, He killed me game crashes during the not giving up speech

Scout
Veteran

#26 Post by Scout »

Okay, okay, I get it. I personally thought the way the end battle starts was a good idea-- however, since NOBODY seems to agree with me, I'll fix that sometime soon. The point's well taken. ;)

And thanks to everyone who's commented; especially for bearing through all the faults and bugs it has.
Mistik wrote: I have the same problem as everyone else.
I got to the captain fight. He wont die, He killed me game crashes during the not giving up speech
It crashed? Hm... that's definitely not right; that was a bug earlier, but it should be fixed now. Did you download from the attachments in my post instead of the latest version? If not, can you post the traceback.txt, please?

Mistik
Regular

#27 Post by Mistik »

Oh sorry. I was an idiot and downloaded off of your post instead of the site.

Scout
Veteran

#28 Post by Scout »

Ack. Let me take those down before someone else gets confused; I'd forgotten they were even there in the first place. ^_^;

miriam
Regular

#29 Post by miriam »

Just played Heart of Fire and loved it. Mostly I enjoyed your dialogue. You are really starting to show yourself as one of the best writers of dialogue I've come across. Well done!

I've never been a big player of games (I like RenAi for the stories) so I didn't know enough about games to be upset about the fight with the Captain.
I'd made my characters very powerful so that part took ages to complete and I was starting to wonder if I was seeing a bug, but the revival made me chuckle.
I thought that was quite inventive.

The very final bit of story was so sweet it had me grinning like an idiot. I loved it.
Thank you for the pleasure.

Keep writing. Never stop.
My current, and first, RenPy story: A Loving Soul
script: 100% -- scenes: 100% -- character art: 20% -- programming: 20%
(spoilers in the story of the same name on my website)
_ _ _ _ _ _ _

A life! Cool! Where can I download one of those from?

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#30 Post by monele »

I tried this a few days ago and loved what I saw ^^... BUT... there's this bug where any loot I'm supposed to get... is actually not useable (at least on the map, that I'm sure). I can still sell it, but I'd rather be able to equip my team and use components and stuff ^^;...
I'm holding it aside in case there's a possible fix or explanation for this. Otherwise I'll try to finish it nonetheless ^^;