Japaese learning entertainment. JES

For the rest of your otaku life.
Mistik
Regular

Japaese learning entertainment. JES

#1 Post by Mistik »

Anyone else seriously studying Japanese? I'm in a bit of a rut. about the level of manga I can read in japanese is around "Clamp" level stuff like tsubasa resovior chronicles. Since its target audience is little girls. It's easy to read, but since I'm not a girl or little, the subject matter is not to my liking. I also try to play ff7, but it's near impossible to understand a lot of parts without someone who knows a massive amount of kanji nearby

So I'm asking how do the rest of you study Japanese in an entertaining way?

storm-and-fire
Regular

Re: Japaese learning entertainment. JES

#2 Post by storm-and-fire »

Before I move on to my actual reply...
Mistik wrote:Since its target audience is little girls. It's easy to read, but since I'm not a girl or little, the subject matter is not to my liking.
Spoiler due to the off-topicness:
Umm... I don't know how far you've read, but... Firstly, Tsubasa is shounen, being published in Shounen Magazine and all, so that means it's target audience is teen boys, even though I think that, stereotypically, boys might not like the romantic undertones. Secondly, Tsubasa is not for little children. Hell, if I was my mother, I wouldn't have let me read it when I did (15).
Of course, here goes the cliche "it gets better later on", but you have to be open-minded with it anyway.
Well, I can't say I am studying Japanese as in taking courses and all that (though I will when I hopefully enter university). There are some things I do though. One is listen to many different Japanese songs. That way, I have picked up a lot of words and can now translate most of them (though I still have a LOAD of unknown words). Another thing I did was buy CLANNAD with the voice patch. That way I could read what was being said and listen to it at the same time. And that was really helpful too.

Yeah, learning is serious business.

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Suna to Majo

#3 Post by yummy »

You could get a japanese girlfriend/boyfriend. Then it would be very "entertaining" !

Wintermoon
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Wintermoon »

I'm learning Japanese almost entirely through (voiced) visual novels and flashcards. Having voice acting and written text available at the same time is a huge bonus.

When I started on Clannad earlier this year, I almost gave up due to the huge number of unfamiliar kanji. Now that I reached a couple of endings, I just need to look up a couple of words per session.

Mikan
Veteran

#5 Post by Mikan »

If you want to learn, you need to sit down with a book.
I've been studying one and off to take the JLPT. My goal is to pass all the way up to level 1 (hardest).
right now, I can probably pass levels 3 and 4 without any cramming. level 2 with cramming. level 1 .... right.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_L ... iency_Test

I spend about an hour each day writing down ten kanji over and over until I can write them down without looking.

Mistik
Regular

#6 Post by Mistik »

Mikan wrote:If you want to learn, you need to sit down with a book.
I've been studying one and off to take the JLPT. My goal is to pass all the way up to level 1 (hardest).
right now, I can probably pass levels 3 and 4 without any cramming. level 2 with cramming. level 1 .... right.

I spend about an hour each day writing down ten kanji over and over until I can write them down without looking.
I know I can pass the level 3, but I haven't taken the Jlpt yet cause its only offered once a year. I'm studying for the level 2 now.

right now I'm finishing up the second BASIC KANJI book which has up to 500 kanji. Do you watch any anime/dramas or read any manga/ light novels. that are easy to understand and that you think are interesting.

I used to read the weekly Naruto chapters for practice, but now to me it's gotten so bad. It doesn't feel worth it anymore.

Mikan
Veteran

#7 Post by Mikan »

Mistik wrote:
Mikan wrote:If you want to learn, you need to sit down with a book.

I know I can pass the level 3, but I haven't taken the Jlpt yet cause its only offered once a year. I'm studying for the level 2 now.

right now I'm finishing up the second BASIC KANJI book which has up to 500 kanji. Do you watch any anime/dramas or read any manga/ light novels. that are easy to understand and that you think are interesting.

I used to read the weekly Naruto chapters for practice, but now to me it's gotten so bad. It doesn't feel worth it anymore.
I hang out and chat in a [url=irc://irc.rizon.net/japanese]Japanese language channel at rizon[/url] sometimes. I'll watch some Japanese TV too, but much prefer the interactive chat room than the passive television. The only thing that hurts me in the JLPT is kanji, so I find writing new kanji out repeatedly the most effective way of learning.