83%
Dubbed in English
17%

Total votes: 18

Gothik Mage
Regular

subbed vs Dubbed

#1 Post by Gothik Mage »

All right, another poll besides pocky flavors. Which do you prefer Subbed anime or Dubbed and why?
"Reno, did it ever occur to you that you might be an alcoholic?"
"Nope, I'm a drunk."
"There's a difference."
"Drunks don't go to meetings."

optimus160
Ultimate Lemma One

#2 Post by optimus160 »

i MUCH prefer subtitles over dubs because many reason:
1. It helps me with japanese jsut by hearing the voice
2. A more accurate emotion is conveyed
3. Its ment to be that way
4. I dont like the quality of the american voice actors (although soem are perfectly fine)
5. THe girls jsut dont seem as exotic and great in english...
PHEAR THE POWER OF THE ULTIMATE LEMMA ONE

Visit my DeviantArt page for stuff!

Erik
Regular

#3 Post by Erik »

I would prefer subtitled Japanese but they dub it in Dutch here. With awful voice actors sometimes, too. I have never seen (hm... heard) a Japanese anime on TV here, actually.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#4 Post by Taleweaver »

I prefer it subbed into a language I can comprehend... subbing a Japanese anime with Japanese subtitles won't do any good ^^
Oh, and BTW: there's nothing wrong with a good dub. People who don't normally watch anime will if it is dubbed well. Proof: the popularity of Ghost in the Shell.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

KOE
Regular

#5 Post by KOE »

None of the above! I would prefer English subs though if that were an option. : )

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#6 Post by chronoluminaire »

I assume "Subtitled in Japanese" means "Audio in Japanese, Subtitled in English". I obviously vote for that too. Some dubs can be good, but I love learning Japanese, being able to detect the nuances in the original voice acting, and just sticking closer to the way the anime was originally created.

Erik
Regular

#7 Post by Erik »

chronoluminaire wrote:I assume "Subtitled in Japanese" means "Audio in Japanese, Subtitled in English".
Yup, it does, sorry for the unclear statement. I meant 'Subtitled, but in Japanese', so Subtitled = English or Dutch. ;)

Anyway, it'd be a good way for me to learn some Japanese I guess :)

Gothik Mage
Regular

#8 Post by Gothik Mage »

Yea.. it was meant to be .Jap Audio .Eng Subtitle.... Sorry for the minor confusion...

I usually always would rather have subbed then dubbed. Right now I can only think of one exception, Cowboy Bebop, teh Japanese Spike doesn't sound like the character's personality, if that makes anysense. Jet doesn't sound quite right as well.
"Reno, did it ever occur to you that you might be an alcoholic?"
"Nope, I'm a drunk."
"There's a difference."
"Drunks don't go to meetings."

Tom Bombadil
Regular

#9 Post by Tom Bombadil »

Subbed! SUBBED I say! Dubs usually come up with absolutely ridiculous stuff to fill in the time...it doesn't really capture the original intent, IMHO. I just saw Rave Master (dubbed) for the first time, and was extremely disappointed with the dub. Plus, Japanese just plain sounds cooler than English. ^_^ And I often don't like the American voice acting either....
Meh, I don't feel like coming up with a sig right now....^_^;;

Sai
Winged Hybrid

#10 Post by Sai »

Both. Ideally I like to have a DVD with both versions included. I started out with dub and later got into sub, so I am pretty indifferent at the moment. But I will side with the sub version as it's original form.

Oh! My Goddess OVA series, I watched both the dub and sub. I didn't notice much difference and enjoyed both versions.
Card Captor Sakura I bought only the subbed version since you can't get any with both versions included because of the massive separation.... So I side with sub as it's the original form.
Kino's Journey. I only just got this recently but I already dislike the dub. The voice for Kino's motorcycle companion is annoying, they made him sound old and grating whilst the Japanese version makes me feel that the motorcycle is more child-like and cheeky and much less annoying and quite nice... Kino is also dissapointing. The Japanese version I went through 4-5 episodes before I realised she was a girl and so do many others get confused by the gender and I quite liked that aspect because the whole series is about how we view things, and gender is a factor sometimes in how we view things, so a person that can be mistaken either way for gender seems appropriate. But in the dub Kino sounds like a girl straight off... So I side with the sub version.

Yang Sei Fu
Regular

#11 Post by Yang Sei Fu »

Unless the American companies know how to find people to dub, I'll stick to subs. Just look at what they called "Cardcaptors". Perfectly. Butchered.
=/| ClearWind Design Studios |\=

kara24601
Veteran
Projects: Numerous unfinished dreams await completion.

#12 Post by kara24601 »

Dubbed.
But , I watch subtitled too.
For the longest time I didn't watch subtitled then somewhere down the line got into the habit of even watching "English" or "American" movies with "subtitles" / "for the hearing impaired"-thing even though I'm , of course , not hearing impaired.
Why? Because sometimes you just can't understand a person even if they are speaking "English" or "American" by their words alone / no matter how loud you have the movie / tv going. Especially for those with a medium or heavy accent , it helps. Also , sometimes what's being said is a little or much different from the subtitles / text.

There are some dubs I don't like and I always hate it when people use a Southern VA for a character. At least with other VAs it can sound good but it definately breaks the Japanese mood to suddenly have that awful drawl coming out of the speakers. *laughs* ( and southerners please don't kill me..I'm sorta southern myself but I usually don't sound like it...see..my American side is southern )
There is this one Anime I have , Shamanic Princess , where one of the characters is a foreign sounding ( like "gypsy" or something ) voice but still speaking English...I was surprised by it but thankfully it's not bad , in fact I loved / love it.
At first I was like "Why did they get that person to VA for an Anime?" but just listening to the voice and all...very pleasing. *smiles*
There are really good dubs , such as Kiki's Delivary (sp.?) Service ,
Spirited Away , Ranma 1/2 , Tenchi Muyo , ect.
Then there are crappy dubs / stupid dialogue - Sorcerer (sp.?) Hunters ) ,
Duel Masters and other shows that make fun of Anime in stupid ways while being an Anime show , ect.
( these shows I'd watch with the sound off because the art is still great *winks* )

Supposedly , some people think that even Japanese subtitled is bad / think people that are into subs are not "true" / "real" otaku.
It's sad how even in a general fandom , there can be arguments over what's better ( in this case subs vs. dubs )
And I think it's silly to hate Disney too ( wether it's true or not they "ripped off" Anime ....which I don't agree with but that's just me ...lol ) just because you like Anime
Last edited by kara24601 on Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

kara24601
Veteran
Projects: Numerous unfinished dreams await completion.

#13 Post by kara24601 »

Yang Sei Fu wrote:Unless the American companies know how to find people to dub, I'll stick to subs. Just look at what they called "Cardcaptors". Perfectly. Butchered.
What? I loved the voices in CC. I haven't seen that Anime in a long time but I would definately remember if they had any bad VA.
:shock:

( I think...the problem is that unlike Japan...American companies are being stupid and not willing to search for / ask professional VA that have worked on American movies and cartoons to do the VA in Anime as well...know what I mean? I hope I phrased that correctly...hmm...
Thankfully they seemed to have come to realize that ...at least for some series or whatever...but still...overall they don't do it....
I think they once used that guy that plays as Riff or whatever in Rocky Horror...used him as a VA in at least one season of the Digimon series but it was for a "minor" monster anyway...or if that's not him then it sure sounded like him...Anyway just "saying" to try and give an idea of professional voices that they've used in Anime. )

I agree , Cowboy Bebop sounds great in English. I haven't heard it in Japanese , though , so I don't have an opinion about the Japanese VA-ing...yet.
Tenchi Muyo is one among a few series that sounds great wether you're listening to it in Japanese or English. If I remember correctly , Ranma 1/2 is that good too.