[RESOLVED] Images appearing at center instead of left/right when skipping or clicking fast

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
WhiteFog

[RESOLVED] Images appearing at center instead of left/right when skipping or clicking fast

#1 Post by WhiteFog »

Kind of a long title, but I wanted to make sure people knew the question before clicking on it.

Anyway, kind of a weird issue that I hadn't really noticed in the game I'm working on until I'd gotten to the point where I started skipping through dialogue. Basically, whenever I use the 'skip' option or if I am just clicking quickly through the dialogue, sometimes it's as if Ren'Py doesn't actually read the 'at left' or 'at right' with some of the image calls, and sticks one of the images (the second call, specifically) in the middle, rather than on its intended side. While that doesn't really cause much issue with just playing the game (as the time needed to read the dialogue allows it to run normally) when skipping through, it causes weird issues.

So this bit here is the first one I noticed (and yeah, we use zorder because there are like 3 dozen characters so it's easier to do that than to do the 'behind' tag because it's always variable depending on who's on-screen) and the code accompanying-

Code: Select all

"We approached the table then, and as we did, Abigail waved enthusiastically while Lance did the same, although with not so much energy."
    show lance uniform neutral 1 at left
    show ruby uniform neutral 4 at right
    show eden uniform neutral 1 zorder 2 
    with dissolve
    ru @ 4t "All right!  Party assembled, adventurers!"
This is how it should look (and does, as long as I'm not using the skip feature): Link

But this is how it looks when using Skip: Link

This also happens if I have an image onscreen already in the middle, and then call one on left and right, in the exact same fashion. Whichever image is called first will show properly on the left or right, but whichever one is called second will appear in the center if Skip is on.

I've also tried calling the images with their own dissolve, i.e.

"We approached the table then, and as we did, Abigail waved enthusiastically while Lance did the same, although with not so much energy."
    show lance uniform neutral 1 at left with dissolve
    show ruby uniform neutral 4 at right with dissolve
    show eden uniform neutral 1 zorder 2 with dissolve
    ru @ 4t "All right!  Party assembled, adventurers!"
and it does the same thing. I do have slightly modified 'left' and 'right' values defined for the images, but I can't imagine that would be an issue? I can't really think of anything else to add beyond the testing I've done, so any information would be appreciated!
Last edited by WhiteFog on Thu May 14, 2020 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rayminator
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Images appearing at center instead of left/right when skipping or clicking fast

#2 Post by rayminator »

you can try it this way

image logo right = Image("logo.png", xalign=1.0)

show logo right
so on

WhiteFog

Re: Images appearing at center instead of left/right when skipping or clicking fast

#3 Post by WhiteFog »

The characters can appear on the left or right (or center, but that seems to be where they flock to anyway), so while that is a possible solution, it would probably result in 2 definitions per character which, while not ideal, would at least work in the meantime.

WhiteFog

#4 Post by WhiteFog »

Fixed it, it was due to us trying to add in a new definition for 'left' and 'right' and for whatever reason, that was causing some sort of issue.

So instead, I just went into the 00definitions.rpy file and adjusted the transforms directly to fit with the scope of our game and that seemed to fix it.

Just in case someone else has the issue.

gas
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: [RESOLVED] Images appearing at center instead of left/right when skipping or clicking fast

#5 Post by gas »

I think is not a good idea to touch the core, as the next release and update will overwrite such changes (or add something or who knows what).
Tried to SIMPLY change the name of transforms? nleft, nright, for example.
If you want to debate on a reply I gave to your posts, please QUOTE ME or i'll not be notified about. << now red so probably you'll see it.

10 ? "RENPY"
20 GOTO 10

RUN

WhiteFog

Re: [RESOLVED] Images appearing at center instead of left/right when skipping or clicking fast

#6 Post by WhiteFog »

Also received the same issue doing that as well. We have a few characters that are larger than the rest and as such they have specific definitions for left and right, which caused the same issue. Having it be present in the core files seems to alleviate the issue. If an update changes it, I can update it again. It's simply adjusting the default anchor points- I don't plan on actually modifying anything serious hahaha