Is it possible to change the overall hue of a Ren'Py Game?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Kinmoku
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: One Night Stand
Projects: VIDEOVERSE
Tumblr: gamesbykinmoku
itch: kinmoku

Is it possible to change the overall hue of a Ren'Py Game?

#1 Post by Kinmoku »

Hi all. I think this was asked a while ago but I can't find the post now. Is it possible to change the overall hue of a Ren'Py Game? Or brightness/ saturation/ other effects?

I was inspired by World of Horror's color palette and wondered if something similar could be done in Ren'Py i.e. change the overall game's colors, not every individual image? (or maybe a way to process every image and change the GUI styles in one swoop?)
maxresdefault (2).jpg

hell_oh_world
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Is it possible to change the overall hue of a Ren'Py Game?

#2 Post by hell_oh_world »

I don't think this is possible as post-processing filters / functions in renpy can only be applied in a displayable. So i think it's doable as what you think, but only by applying the filter to each displayables.

gas
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by gas »

As long as you work with 2 bits (pure BW) like World of Horrors, you can add a layer with a screen and a Solid tint with alpha < than 1.
You can so manipulate the tint and the alpha to reach for such effects.
I dunno what could happen with a native colored game, probably a mess anyway.
If you want to debate on a reply I gave to your posts, please QUOTE ME or i'll not be notified about. << now red so probably you'll see it.

10 ? "RENPY"
20 GOTO 10

RUN

Kinmoku
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: One Night Stand
Projects: VIDEOVERSE
Tumblr: gamesbykinmoku
itch: kinmoku

#4 Post by Kinmoku »

gas wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 3:22 pm As long as you work with 2 bits (pure BW) like World of Horrors, you can add a layer with a screen and a Solid tint with alpha < than 1.
You can so manipulate the tint and the alpha to reach for such effects.
I dunno what could happen with a native colored game, probably a mess anyway.
Yeah, I thought this would be the best way to do it, though it makes everything more red/ green/ whatever, including black. I think if I want to change (for example) black and white to purple and yellow, I'd need to change every individual element of the game. I'm not sure it's worth my time, but your solution is a quick fix for now.

Code: Select all

image red:
    alpha 0.4
    Solid("#ff0000")

screen red:
    zorder 101

add "red"

label start:
    show screen red

Remix
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: None... yet (as I'm still looking for an artist)
Projects: An un-named anime based trainer game

#5 Post by Remix »

As gas noted, pretty much any processing (except ATL) feature in Ren'Py only works on physical files, so you'd need to process each file before using it in some form of composite.

There is matrix.colorize which could take a gray-scale (black and white and grays) and make the blacks into purples and whites into yellows.
It rather depends on your base images though.

Personally, if I was looking to do it, I'd be thinking of a displayable prefix and processing in a function... "recolor:images/eileen.png" >>> recolor function >>> read global newblack, newwhite and return colorized version...
Frameworks & Scriptlets: