BUG: save that brings you back to previous point

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

BUG: save that brings you back to previous point

#1 Post by jack_norton »

I got a strange super-weird behavior I've never seen in any game before, so was wondering if anyone had any clue about this: I have this match3 engine I got coded and seems to work fine. After the game ends, I jump to a label. Then there's a normal renpy text for the story. If I save in that point, when I reload that save it brings me BACK to the latest screen of the match3 game (last move before winning).
How on Earth is that possible? That reloading a save displaying a normal dialogue lines jumps you back of several labels/statement ?! I have never seen this before in 12 years of working with Ren'py!
The thumbnail in the save screen even show the correct simple line of text but when you load it, it resumes several statements before it, during the match3 gameplay. I have tried everything but I can't understand what's going on!
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

isobellesophia
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: None
Projects: Maddox and Friends! (AI Teacher friend), Friendly Universities! (Soon)
Organization: Friendly Teachers series
Deviantart: SophBelle
itch: Child Creation

Re: BUG: save that brings you back to previous point

#2 Post by isobellesophia »

Oh my, looks like i am not the only one... this also happened to me in the 7.3.5 version of RenPy... everytime i load a save, it brings me back from where isn't supposed to be.

I hope anyone can fix this too, i dont want my saves to be like this.
I am a friendly user, please respect and have a good day.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by jack_norton »

In my case it seems was due to a renpy.call_out_of_context in the end, but it was still a strange behaviour
computer games

Alex
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Alex »

How did you 'call' your game and how did you return back to main gameflow?
Can you show a test script (some text in label, calling some label instead of actual game, returning back), will it work for you or will give the same issue with saving/loading?

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by jack_norton »

The original coder has fixed this, it was indeed a complex problem of call out of context and jumps. Sorry you can delete this thread if you want (in the end was my fault :lol:)
computer games