Make a game 1440P?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Chungfriend

Make a game 1440P?

#1 Post by Chungfriend »

Is it a good idea to make my game in 1440P or should I stick with 1080? Obviously I want the images to be as high quality as possible and the increased file size isn't a big deal but I'm worried about scaling if someone has a small laptop or something since it looks like the text will get relatively smaller as the resolution increases.

Also, is there a way to make the renders I already produced fill the screen if I do switch to 1440P? A zoom command or something? or would I be better off just resizing the pictures?

I'm not using the sprites or anything just

scene 1 with dissolve
scene 2 with dissolve
"blah blah"
scene 3 with dissolve

etc.

Thank you!

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: Make a game 1440P?

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

It's possible, look into factorscale and/or im.resize
But it's also pointless as renpy will scale itself to fill the screen anyway. You're only going to introduce artifacts (ringing, halos, noise, and other generation loss like artifacts) by upscaling your images,. If somebody has a smaller screen, that's two resizes instead of one, first up to 1440p, and then down to whatever their screen resolution is.

You'll also be using more memory for no perceived or actual quality gain.

TL;DR
Yeah, you can do it, but it's not generally worth it. Make your images 1440p when first drawn.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Chungfriend

#3 Post by Chungfriend »

Imperf3kt wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:23 pm It's possible, look into factorscale and/or im.resize
But it's also pointless as renpy will scale itself to fill the screen anyway. You're only going to introduce artifacts (ringing, halos, noise, and other generation loss like artifacts) by upscaling your images,. If somebody has a smaller screen, that's two resizes instead of one, first up to 1440p, and then down to whatever their screen resolution is.

You'll also be using more memory for no perceived or actual quality gain.

TL;DR
Yeah, you can do it, but it's not generally worth it. Make your images 1440p when first drawn.
Thanks for your time.

I ended up batch resizing all my images and menu screens to 1440P and enlarging all the text, gui elements, etc so that it would still be readable on a small screen.

I'm in an awkward position where I realized I wanted to increase the resolution a little late to just redo them all but early enough that I don't want to just finish it off in 1080. 1080 seemed reasonable when I started doing it, but as the person actually making it, it was annoying having the images all be at a non-native resolution and my 32" panel is a bit big for 1080P on top of that. The resized images look completely fine. I used a very low compression setting so the file size for the 200 or so images I resized are larger than they ideally would be but as far as I can tell there has been no discernible quality loss.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#4 Post by Imperf3kt »

I may have exaggerated slightly. Ultimately, there is little difference of importance, so it's up to you if you go ahead.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter